Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new to American cars (from the UK), I'd like to get to know a little more about supercharging my 09 SRT8.

As far as I can see on here, its split 50/50 whether the stock engines are strong enough, is that fair to say?

I'd appreciate a rough guide with the pro's and con's.

Currently the car has nothing other than a K+N filter (not CAI), and resonator delete.

Thanks.

·
Registered
759 Posts
No first hand knowledge (I am not fond of superchargers) for you but I have my research and shop experience.

How many miles on? Ever have any issues with the car? Car should be at its best before considering something like that. High miles and I would say build the motor (or refresh) before hand.

The 6.1s are a strong motor for boost. If you keep the boost rather mild (8-12psi) the motor will be happier for longer. More than that and you will need to tear into the engine sooner. Make sure that you have a good shop (or you have all the knowledge) as well as a good tuner, it will need to be tuned right to run safely. There are several different kinds of superchargers, centrifugal, twin screw and roots, do you have a personal preference? You will need than just the supercharger (although most companies now offer full kits with everything you need).

What are your horsepower goals? This question plays the biggest role in the path you should take.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies so far.

The car has done 9000 miles, yes, 9000, so only just run in!

I just want it to be quicker than it is. I have a VW Golf R which is 300bhp, and I can't get away from it, which annoys me....

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
You can push the 6.1 north of 600hp with few mods. Utilizing the entire factory exhaust system with just a blower cam and drop in pistons you can get it to 600whp on ~10 psi. You have options but I really look forward to seeing what route you take.

Btw I'm from Yorkshire myself.

·
Registered
887 Posts
8-9 psi is the typically agreed upon boost for a stock 6.1. Everything other than the supercharger is completely stock on my 09 SRT and I am stopping at 9 psi, as recommended by my tuner.

The biggest thing to understand when boosting an 09 6.1 stock engine is: You must have the car tuned by a well known, HEMI experienced tuner. And yes, this can be done via e-mail tunes and data logging.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Let me also add: There is no guarantee of "Safe" when blowing these cars. Adding and putting 50% more power through the motor and all the driveline components will stress them more than the stock motor (obviously).

That 50/50 opinion is old information. Yes, back in 2006 -2009 ish, when more and more people started adding blowers to these cars, there were a lot of motors blowing up. However, since then, the Hemi tuners have really learned what to do and how to tune them so they don't blow up any more (or at least not so often). Again, there is always risk when modifying a car, but most tuners/shops today would suggest/approve/allow up to 8-9 psi in your case: On your 2009 6.1 motor.

Your stock driveline can also handle the 9 psi (which makes 550 rwhp on your car). On the street, there is very little extra stress on the driveline components because the tires will go up in smoke instead of grabbing and hooking. However, if you're going to get drag radials and go to the drag strip quite often the tires are going to grab during launch and that is when those components take a big shot of stress. In that case, you will want to upgrade some of the driveline components.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Concept- In Fall 2016, I added a 2.9L Whipple to my basically stock 6.1L 2009 SRT8. I installed the SC myself without much issue. For me the scariest parts were 1) Removing the front fascia without damaging it and 2) Pinning the crank. In the end, patience is likely your friend.

One watch out after I dynoed my car, I had a squeaking noise that I thought was a pulley or idler newly installed. I was so frustrated in not being able to find it, I replaced all of them to no avail. Then a couple weeks ago, I was going for a Sunday cruise and the belt jumped off (never a good sign). I was able to get it on a side rode and found that the plastic power steering pulley had separated from the steel hub causing the belt to jump off. I then assumed the power steering pump was the original squeak. I was frustrated that I did not want to put the plastic pulley back on so I found the 2011 pulley was all steel. My intuition was the shaft was the same size but the fore/aft location may be different. Sure enough, I was able to press it on the additional 5mm to align with my belt. If anyone wants more details, PM me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts