Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The horsepower bug is continuing to bite me as I want more than the 485 horses currently under my hood, but I'd rather not get even deeper in debt than I already am in order to trade up to a Hellcat. I considered a FBO + cam setup as well, and it has a certain appeal, but the dollar per horsepower is much higher than it would be for supercharging.

Of course, we all know that the 392's piston ring setup means it can't take more than 6-7 pounds of boost stock. This is my daily, so I am concerned about the possibility of blowing up the engine with a supercharger. I doubt my extended warranty would cover that if I did.

Is there a way to ensure, either through supercharger selection (like Whipple vs Procharger) or tuning, that the engine is kept safe and healthy?

The car is sitting at about 48k miles now, so, would I still be able to throw in some drop-in pistons without having to do any machining? How difficult would it be to do that work myself? I will have access to lifts and the auto hobby shop on my base, but I've never done engine work before.

I've also got the HP70 A8 transmission which I'm told isn't meant to take more than about 520lbs of torque stock before it starts to slip. How true is this, and can it be overcome with transmission tuning?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I can’t speak for the HP70 handling power but I can tell you that I took a high mileage 6.4 and did the equivalent of drop ins. You only need to machine the block if you have any scoring or problems with the cylinders. If your block is low mileage drop ins is how I would go. No machining necessary that way. If you’ve never done extensive engine work yourself, I strongly recommend finding a buddy or someone who has. There’s no sense in doing the work twice in your daily. Keep in mind you will need a custom tune as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Just buy this and put a supercharger on it, save yourself alot of time and money

Sir that is way too much money for a 426 plus putting a Supercharger on it. He is better off buying a used Hellcat(which he said he didn’t want to do) for that kind of money. With using his current car and setup he’s looking at 2k max for forged pistons & 4-8k for a super charger(depending on if bought new or used and which unit he chooses). Why would he spend 50k +. That makes no sense at all.

·
Registered
301 Posts
This topic has come up a ton.. gets very costly supercharing on top of that modding your daily is risky just buy the hellcat down the road. In the long run you will be better off. Unless its a Hobbie for you. if you do end up supercharger and want more than the typical 575 - 615 whp that a sc 392 provides on 91 -93 octane. Really look into the pistons you want. If your looking to be around 700whp you can get by with 4032 mahle which is close to a stock piston ish and use your stock rods, or if you want 900 to 1000 get the 2618 with molar rods. I not saying go with them but something comparable to say the least. As far as the tranny not sure I got a manual. There's a number of 392s that blew a piston ring its all in the tuning not all shops are created equal. I had good luck 8 k miles of blower use, when I ripped open my 392 to forge it was mint could still see the stock hone.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sir that is way too much money for a 426 plus putting a Supercharger on it. He is better off buying a used Hellcat(which he said he didn’t want to do) for that kind of money. With using his current car and setup he’s looking at 2k max for forged pistons & 4-8k for a super charger(depending on if bought new or used and which unit he chooses). Why would he spend 50k +. That makes no sense at all.

That actually looks like a pretty bitching deal to me...over $60k in mods with 600whp for only $42k? And only 16k miles? If I had the credit rating right now I'd say sign me the hell up.

This topic has come up a ton.. gets very costly supercharing on top of that modding your daily is risky just buy the hellcat down the road. In the long run you will be better off. Unless its a Hobbie for you. if you do end up supercharger and want more than the typical 575 - 615 whp that a sc 392 provides on 91 -93 octane. Really look into the pistons you want. If your looking to be around 700whp you can get by with 4032 mahle which is close to a stock piston ish and use your stock rods, or if you want 900 to 1000 get the 2618 with molar rods. I not saying go with them but something comparable to say the least. As far as the tranny not sure I got a manual. There's a number of 392s that blew a piston ring its all in the tuning not all shops are created equal. I had good luck 8 k miles of blower use, when I ripped open my 392 to forge it was mint could still see the stock hone.
True, the Hellcat probably makes more sense to buy since every inch of that car is designed to handle boost and ridiculous amounts of power...but, part of me still wants the fun of building the thing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Some parts fun some not ran into road blocks trust me you will to. did all my own work still spent close to 20 k on parts with 5 custom tunes and not done but close will stop this year if I reach over 800whp gonna up boost to 16 ,18 psi and run that fore dual pump system on e85. I gotta say having a sleeper is alot of fun having close to the power of a stock redeye without the badge suprizes people

·
Registered
718 Posts
That actually looks like a pretty bitching deal to me...over $60k in mods with 600whp for only $42k? And only 16k miles? If I had the credit rating right now I'd say sign me the hell up.
I have a 16 Scat Shaker with 6600 miles making 750 whp I would be thrilled to get 45k for.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
Most shops recommend drop ins up to 30-40k miles. You're being at 48k is just over so honestly I think you'd be fine but that's totally your call. May wanna look into a price quote to see how much to machine and prep the block anyways, if it's not that much more then I'd say it's worth it. On the flip side, if the pistons can handle the power on 93, then the stock trans SHOULD be fine as well. It's when you get into the territory where the pistons are forged that you will run into trans problems, which runs into more fueling, and stronger drivetrain, better tires, and it becomes never ending. So if you wanna go the cheap and easy route there's nothing wrong with running 5-6psi on a stock block 392. It will be very fast and gives the opportunity to upgrade everything else down the road when 550whp is no longer enough for you.
So my vote goes to run low boost and ride that out as long as possible

Reactions: NoCash

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,019 Posts
indeed the pistons are the weak part in the plan. I went the route you are thinking about and it was a disaster. The supercharger manufacturer supplied the wrong injectors, missing nuts and bolts and the installaction manual had a few outright incorrect instructions. All that was over come with with phone calls and priority shipping. What was not over come was the manufacturer suppling the wrong tune. The first tune the car would not start. The secnd tune the car would barely run. The third revision ad the car made the same power as before the install . The 5th revision took out pistons one and two. Fortunately the car was on a dyno for the tuning and I had documentation of the afr (way lean). The manufacture did come through with some money after a couple of months of Repeated phone calls/emails and the warning that the story would be posted on every forum I could find (Always politely).

So the moral of the story is to choose the kit wisely, Make sure to have money set aside in case things go wrong . If you can do drop in pistons do so (particularly if going past 6psi). The horsepower bug is very addictive. After The rebuild of the engine (built for 800hp) although the car was was tuned for 500hp at the wheels. I started pricing out the the cost of half shafts, transmission mods/builds and drive shaft so I could take advantage of the Sw engine.

i ended up selling the car and bought a used hellcat.

Reactions: Spartan040

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went with procharger kit 2 yrs. and go problems here except the fuel pump not really the pump it was the shrink tube that came with kit it was over heated and split....took the ventura out and done away with that.I replaced everything with rubber tubing.Drill holes in my basket to be sure fuel was delivered no problem's since.But I also installed an ati super damper because the stock damper was different in size.Demon Performance tuned mine with a conservative tune and mine's running 7psi. but to each his own.I think some people throw the super charger's on he cars and dont tune them correctly.....now I know mine may break any day (knock on wood) but it runs good enough for me.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Sir the asking price for that car is $42,xxx.xx. your math doesn't add up.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a 16 Scat Shaker with 6600 miles making 750 whp I would be thrilled to get 45k for.
What in the world did you do to it?

indeed the pistons are the weak part in the plan. I went the route you are thinking about and it was a disaster. The supercharger manufacturer supplied the wrong injectors, missing nuts and bolts and the installaction manual had a few outright incorrect instructions. All that was over come with with phone calls and priority shipping. What was not over come was the manufacturer suppling the wrong tune. The first tune the car would not start. The secnd tune the car would barely run. The third revision ad the car made the same power as before the install . The 5th revision took out pistons one and two. Fortunately the car was on a dyno for the tuning and I had documentation of the afr (way lean). The manufacture did come through with some money after a couple of months of Repeated phone calls/emails and the warning that the story would be posted on every forum I could find (Always politely).

So the moral of the story is to choose the kit wisely, Make sure to have money set aside in case things go wrong . If you can do drop in pistons do so (particularly if going past 6psi). The horsepower bug is very addictive. After The rebuild of the engine (built for 800hp) although the car was was tuned for 500hp at the wheels. I started pricing out the the cost of half shafts, transmission mods/builds and drive shaft so I could take advantage of the Sw engine.

i ended up selling the car and bought a used hellcat.
Yeahhh the Hellcat is probably the better buy...it comes with everything one would need to go fast and not break anything. I guess maybe I should wait until I make first LT, or maybe Captain, and then think about upgrading. In my aircraft I'll be going on TDY's a lot, I could save up a lot of that money. Just put down a massive down payment on a used Hellcat in a couple years. But I hate waiting 😂

Most shops recommend drop ins up to 30-40k miles. You're being at 48k is just over so honestly I think you'd be fine but that's totally your call. May wanna look into a price quote to see how much to machine and prep the block anyways, if it's not that much more then I'd say it's worth it. On the flip side, if the pistons can handle the power on 93, then the stock trans SHOULD be fine as well. It's when you get into the territory where the pistons are forged that you will run into trans problems, which runs into more fueling, and stronger drivetrain, better tires, and it becomes never ending. So if you wanna go the cheap and easy route there's nothing wrong with running 5-6psi on a stock block 392. It will be very fast and gives the opportunity to upgrade everything else down the road when 550whp is no longer enough for you.
So my vote goes to run low boost and ride that out as long as possible
I think it probably makes more financial sense to eventually upgrade to a Hellcat, something like a Procharger will do nothing for my resale value of my current car and will probably void my extended warranty. I'm just feeling impatient lol

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,203 Posts
Yeahhh the Hellcat is probably the better buy...it comes with everything one would need to go fast and not break anything. I guess maybe I should wait until I make first LT, or maybe Captain, and then think about upgrading. In my aircraft I'll be going on TDY's a lot, I could save up a lot of that money. Just put down a massive down payment on a used Hellcat in a couple years. But I hate waiting 😂
Waiting might be better than putting a wheelbarrow load of money into adding a supercharger to your current car which just means you start out in a hole when saving for the Hellcat.

The best hot rod is the factory hot rod. In this case the factory has done all the work to make a complete package.

Have to say that after owning a Hellcat for 33 months then going back to a new (2020) Scat Pack while the Scat Pack is "only" 485hp vs. 707hp for the Hellcat the Scat Pack to me is a better more enjoyable car to drive.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Waiting might be better than putting a wheelbarrow load of money into adding a supercharger to your current car which just means you start out in a hole when saving for the Hellcat.

The best hot rod is the factory hot rod. In this case the factory has done all the work to make a complete package.

Have to say that after owning a Hellcat for 33 months then going back to a new (2020) Scat Pack while the Scat Pack is "only" 485hp vs. 707hp for the Hellcat the Scat Pack to me is a better more enjoyable car to drive.
Really? What makes you say that? I always thought the Hellcat would be more fun

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hellcat short block,Procharger D1X,Ray Barton cam etc.etc.etc.
Pretty damn impressive, well worth more than $45k...did you do any suspension or wheel/tire mods? That 426 shaker I saw had a lot of them which probably bumped up the price a little

1 - 20 of 82 Posts