Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Just brought my ‘18 R/T home on Friday. Noticed I have a SuperTrackPak button and a ParkSense button(P with a light). The ParkSense is set to “off” and the STP button does nothing as far as I can tell. I didn’t order the STP option and it’s not listed on the window sticker. Is it common for R/Ts to have these buttons, even if the car isn’t optioned for them? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
Unless the wrong button assembly was installed at the plant.

Typically if an A8 model STP would also have steering wheel paddle shifters

and STP button would bring up Performance Pages in uConnect screen.

The Park Sense is "On' when the light on the button isn't illuminated (if you press it, each time you switch modes - the center IP cluster will show whether you've switched from On / Off operation)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and the information! Yes, my ParkSense button is always lit. Crazy. I’m going to search around and see if they put the sensors in by mistake too! ?

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
Thanks for the reply and the information! Yes, my ParkSense button is always lit. Crazy. I’m going to search around and see if they put the sensors in by mistake too! ?
they'll be on the rear valance (black trim below painted area of bumper). I'm aware some trim levels don't have Park Sense as standard (R/T Base (cloth interior) for example) and other option packages can add this feature.

Its not uncommon that wrong parts can end at assembly time.

When the '11s came out, some of the cars didn't have the steering wheel buttons that should have had them to operate the IP cluster EVIC features....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Looking there now. No sensors. Checked under the hood to see if maybe they put in a 392 by mistake but no such luck :(

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
Thanks! Looking there now. No sensors. Checked under the hood to see if maybe they put in a 392 by mistake but no such luck :(
a whoops moment on the assembly line - that might be why the Park Sense button shows Off all the time - there's nothing for it to connect to.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
It is a cool looking button though......

·
Registered
397 Posts
Also a lot of times Assembly lines will use whatever they have on hand to complete the car instead of waiting and shutting everything down for the correct part. Since they are all interchangeable its cheaper for the line to put in the "upsized part" then to hold up the line by any amount at all. You have to remember the line is actually constantly moving and stopping it to wait for something like the center console Hvac unit would mean that all the cars on the line would stop until you can get the right part. They dont have any issues putting in the higher trim part if that part does not impede the function of the trim level being allotted for that car. This principle is what allows dealers to add some features like remote start to cars that did not contain those features on the line. All they have to do is get the parts that are different or left out and add them. Since most everything also includes some programming they add those parts to the dealer DB of parts to the car and their computer adds any programming needed for that config to function properly.
This is also way the Tazer works so well. Even though the Op's car did not come with STP if it came with the 8.4 radio when the Tazer would be used to enable the performance pages on the car the stp button would work like it was intended.

Ron

·
Registered
15,052 Posts
Thought the parking sensors are hidden behind the bumper cover now and not visible? Should be easy to see if you have it, just back up towards something and it will start beeping.

Also curious if you have the paddle shifters?

You have the 7.0 or 8.4 radio?

Also does the STP button do anything?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,052 Posts
Ok thanks, very interesting and not sure what to make of it. Usually the parts for the cars are ordered from the vendors and arrive just in time for build so it would be unuaual for the wrong part to be used. Post some pics when you can.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,644 Posts
The sensors do show

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
Also a lot of times Assembly lines will use whatever they have on hand to complete the car instead of waiting and shutting everything down for the correct part. Since they are all interchangeable its cheaper for the line to put in the "upsized part" then to hold up the line by any amount at all. You have to remember the line is actually constantly moving and stopping it to wait for something like the center console Hvac unit would mean that all the cars on the line would stop until you can get the right part. They dont have any issues putting in the higher trim part if that part does not impede the function of the trim level being allotted for that car. This principle is what allows dealers to add some features like remote start to cars that did not contain those features on the line. All they have to do is get the parts that are different or left out and add them. Since most everything also includes some programming they add those parts to the dealer DB of parts to the car and their computer adds any programming needed for that config to function properly.
This is also way the Tazer works so well. Even though the Op's car did not come with STP if it came with the 8.4 radio when the Tazer would be used to enable the performance pages on the car the stp button would work like it was intended.

Ron
There's an inspection of the vehicle and its systems after assembly before its deemed complete.
-a diagnostic connector (far more than OBD-II scanner) to check CANBUS and the ancillary systems...somewhere some steps were missed on the inspection.

·
Registered
397 Posts
There's an inspection of the vehicle and its systems after assembly before its deemed complete.
-a diagnostic connector (far more than OBD-II scanner) to check CANBUS and the ancillary systems...somewhere some steps were missed on the inspection.
Yes the factory stuff is sweet, programming different stuff is also super easy with that stuff. The odb connector can be used for all kinds of good things if you have the factory programmer. The Tazer is really childs play when you look at what is available for other cars. The vw/audi world has a program/hardware that allows normal people to activate and reprogram the canbus. This allows adding led's to cars that did not come with them, adding/upgrading the modules that normally are dealer only installable. I actually once fixed an audi tach on the dash for someone as he took the dash out of a 4 cylinder car and put it in his 6 cylinder car. This caused the tach and the speedo to read incorrectly as it was reading every 3 rpms as 2. Took all of 30 seconds and changed 1 bit in the dash computer to fix it. Can even allow key re-programablity so if you lose a key, you buy one off ebay for 2-5 dollars and reprogram it to work with your car. I did that for someone as well. I really wish the dodges had that kind of home computer support.

Ron

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thought the parking sensors are hidden behind the bumper cover now and not visible? Should be easy to see if you have it, just back up towards something and it will start beeping.

Also curious if you have the paddle shifters?

You have the 7.0 or 8.4 radio?

Also does the STP button do anything?

My 2018 R/T came with the parking sensors in the PHG package and they are clearly visible on the lower black plastic part of the rear bumper.

Here's an album of pics when I got it, there is one of the rear in there where you can clearly see the 4 circles that are the sensors. (I'd just link to the one pic, but I'm at work where they block imgur)

https://imgur.com/gallery/eequV

To the OP's comment directly, my car has the Parking Sensors and I've never seen the light on, on the P-Sensor button before as I just have them always on (which they are only one when I'm in reverse). There is a option in the Uconnect settings (I have the 7") to turn off the sensor display that shows up in the instrument cluster when you put it into reverse and shows you what the sensors are detecting. I wanna say there was another Parking Sensor setting in there too, maybe want to look into that if you do actually have the sensors/circles on your rear bumper.

My car doesn't have the STP but in cars I test drove I want to say (I may be wrong) you set the options for the STP button in Uconnect.....I think in the Peformance Pages app, and then pressing the STP enabled those settings. So like you could set steering to Comfort, throttle response to sport, suspension (if SRT) to sport, etc and then when you pressed the button it would turn on/off all those options. Basically a more elaborate, customizable sport mode button.

But it's sounding like they installed the wrong button cluster in the car when it was built. May want to contact the dealer about that to get the right one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts