Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my never-ending quest to find the perfect combination of detailing products for my Challenger, I am always trying any new detailing product I run across that might do something better or faster than the stuff I have in my arsenal now.

As such, I recently purchased a bottle of Beyond Clay by Surf City Garage to see if was indeed all it claimed be - description on back of bottle paints a picture of a clay bar on steroids. I was quickly disappointed when I tried it using my Meguiar's DA Power System drill attachment with a red pad. So up on the top shelf it went, with the other useless stuff doomed to a future of either collecting dust or being given away to a friend willing to take it.

Fast forward to yesterday when I was doing some paint splatter removal on a friend's truck. He had run through some road stripe paint or something, and it was especially stubborn at holding on despite my best efforts using my detailer clay. I ran through all 100g of clay I had in back stock and had only removed barely half the paint splotches I needed to.

I knew buying another 100g of clay may only do part of the job ahead of me, so I had to figure another way. Light bulb! What about that SCG stuff? So I busted it out, along with my Meg's DA attachment and red pad, but this time I used a corded hand held drill capable of 2500+ rpms (instead of cordless drill used previously capable of only 1500-1800rpms).

That proved to be the ticket! I made short work of the rest of the paint splatter, and much less effort was needed using this method over the regular clay bar and QD way.

So the moral to this story is really more about using the right tools to enable the product to do its job. Am I going to stop using clay altogether now? Not a chance. It's more affordable and easier to use for large areas of paint cleaning. But if I have small, concentrated spots of contamination that the clay is having to work too hard on, this stuff will definitely get the call to come in and take over (along with the corded drill, of course).

Nuke

Reactions: Shank

·
Registered
287 Posts
Surf City I use alot of all good products but instead of clay check out Nanoskin Sponge more better than even Beyond clay and easier and just as nice as clay

Reactions: salvy59 and Nuke

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surf City I use alot of all good products but instead of clay check out Nanoskin Sponge more better than even Beyond clay and easier and just as nice as clay
I have seen Nanoskin mentioned in some of the detailing forums but have never used it. I will have to check into it. Thanks!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have never used the Beyond Clay but absolutely love their Barrier Reef carnauba wax. Very good stuff! And if warm weather ever arrives I have a brand new can ready to go.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I tried beyond clay, watched the video for it, followed all the instructions...very dissapointed with the results.
Went back to the tried and true McGuaires clay bar

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SCG Barrier Reef wax

I have never used the Beyond Clay but absolutely love their Barrier Reef carnauba wax. Very good stuff! And if warm weather ever arrives I have a brand new can ready to go.
I just scored a tin of the SCG Barrier Reef paste wax for half off cause some dill-hole mangled the box it comes in (don't make me no nevermind what condition the package is in as long as the product inside is still pristine!), so looking forward to giving it a day in court.

I know that one of these days I'm gonna run out of different waxes to try, and that will be a sad day indeed. But in the meantime, acquiring a new wax I've never tried before still makes me feel like a kid on xmas morning!

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried beyond clay, watched the video for it, followed all the instructions...very dissapointed with the results.
Went back to the tried and true McGuaires clay bar
Yeah, the name is definitely misleading in my opinion. It's not a substitute for clay, at least not for the ways in which I use my clay. But I think it's a great back-up product for stuff like Meg' Ultimate Polish or even their Ultimate Compound (just have to work it a little more).
I had occasion to use it again the other day while doing swirl removal on a black car. I ran out of my Meg's Ultimate stuff and use the Beyond Clay to finish up the last couple of body panels. It definitely needs a high speed polisher (was using Porter Cable hand-held corded [email protected] RPMs) to remove swirls, but with the right pads it can work.

If I could find it for about of what it costs locally, I'd buy some more for sure. But at $15 for such a small bottle, it's just not worth it for me, especially when I can get the Meg's Ultimate stuff for $10 for a bottle twice the size.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts