Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldnt help but laugh when I read the little article about people choosing Camaro's and Mustangs over the Challenger and the company being suprised about it. At the end of the day it comes down to PRICING, both the Mustang and Camaro are priced well below the Challenger and typically out perform the Challenger in every way, would I get ride of mine for one of the others? Hell no, I bought the car I wanted. But the people looking for these type of cars arent looking to spend anywhere near 35-48K for a muscle car. Especially when they are built with cheap azz materials, B.S. cheap plastic rocker panels and weather strips, thin metal body panels etc. Dont get me wrong the Camaros arent any better but they are priced better. The Mustangs I'm sorry to say are probably the better put together and best out of the three, meaning price, performance etc. Realistically all three are over priced at the end of the day it's just the Challenger is way over priced. Customer satisfaction does mean alot though, but only if you can afford it! I'm not saying I'm just saying

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with what your saying. I think with Dodge though, they know they have a niche by the balls with the styling. Lots though, probably see the challenger as less of an overall package for more money.

·
Registered
83 Posts
But maybe it's just good if challenger cost more than mustang and camaro. So everybody can know this guy has the money to buy the most expensive retro muscle car...

·
Super Moderator
14,721 Posts
I agree that the Challenger is overpriced compared to the Mustang GT and Camaro SS, but we will pay because we all suffer from a bad case of MOPAR fever!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I agree, But I waited to find a used PCP in my price range, and @ no time did I think about gettin either of the other two!

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
something being overpriced is relative to people being willing to pay that price.
does the challenger cost more compared to the mustang and camaro? yes...is it over priced? dunno...depends on the buyer

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm not sure if I agree that the Camaro is priced well under the Challenger. When I was looking, the Camaro 2SS equipped similarly to my RT Classic ended up being $3k more. That's why I ended up going with the Challenger and glad I did.

·
Registered
416 Posts
IMO, the Challenger, in 392 form, falls in a price range below the GT500 (and soon to be ZL1) and above the GT and SS. Its performance is likewise somewhere in the middle. Looks are subjective, despite our claims its the best looking of the three.

Middle of the road... its a lonely place folks, and that's the niche the Challenger is in.

The old saying that you can't please everyone all of the time is true... and being in the middle, is, basically, playing both sides of the fence, trying to make everyone happy with your product.

If the Challenger were to compete in volume sales, it'd have to match the performance and price of its competition, plus look the part as well as boost the confidence of the buying public as to its quality.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah, the price difference is not that big... the Challenger is the best looking and the most functional car of the three.

When I saw Challenger on the street, I was afraid that my bargain line with the dealer will be "Oh, shut up and take my money..."

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
I could have picked up a brand new Vette for what I just paid for my 392.... And yet, I couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough to seal the deal on my 392..

Go Figure! :)

*edit* and I should also note that neither the Camaro nor the Mustang were ever on my short list.... The only other car on my list was the Vette.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Has Chrysler ever rivaled GM and Ford in sales numbers?

I jumped from being a 40 year GM only owner to the Challenger and that was after looking at the other offerings so it is not always simply pricing or loyalty.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
For those that flock to the Brand X cars, they are doing so only because of the horsepower. They know the Challenger looks better but are strictly into the stock power numbers of the other cars and will deny that until the day they get rid of it.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
i waited to get my challenger until the camaro was out cause i loved the challenger .. but i was never a real mopar fan (loved the orig challenger and chargers )but wasnt a fan of dodge ....i was always a GM guy.. then i only looked at the camaro for about 20 minutes .. drove it about 10 min .... no joke the next day went to Dodge and drove home with my R/T ... I will keep this car forever ,, my only regret is that its not as fast as i thought it would be .. but as good as it looks who wants to go so fast no one sees it ... if i were a dodge fan . i might have got the SRT but honestly .. i didnt do my research ... with the diff packages .. again i love my car and will keep it forever ... but i do like the 392 ... when this motor dies ,,, i will swap it ... i dont want to build a 5.7 .. so down the road i will swap it ... it has been my pleasure becomeing a MOPAR GUY and do my best to represent.. best of all .. challenger people seem to be in a group of great people in our own class ... and i really enjoy it and all of you .... man im a brown noser ...

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
As long as Chrysler can sell their other rides and stay in business, I could care less if Challenger sales declined to where it was discontinued in the next couple of years. Fulfill my warranty for the next 6 years ... that's all I care about. The less of them on the road the better....this ain't no freakin' Impala. 1970-74 Challenger all over again. :)

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I never seriously looked at a Camaro to buy, so I dont know about their pricing, but I did look at new Mustangs before I bought my Mopar 10, just to see and compare. A new Mustang GT 5.0 with the same or very similar options/directly comparable to a new Challenger R/T 5.7, just as I would order either car, and the price came in within $300 of each other, with the Dodge being more expensive. Still, on a $35k+ car, $300 is nothing, so I don't really consider the Mustang to be a cheaper car, unless you're talking styling, materials, etc.

The fit and finish is much better on my Mopar 10 than the three 5.0 Mustangs that I test drove, not to mention the overall size, ride and looks. Plus, what it means to me to be able to say that I bought a brand new HEMI Challenger!!!

5.0 Mustangs are fun, but about as common as dirt...I'd rather drive my 08 Avenger, looks better and not so ordinary...:)

JS

·
Registered
284 Posts
Adventurer, I had the same experience. I looked at a Mustang GT, and with options, it was about the same as the Challenger R/T. I think the Mustang was put together a bit better (6MT issues notwithstanding...) but the Mustang is small and there are tons of the them on the road - nothing unique or distinctive.

Maybe the Camaro gets it done for a little less money, but way more difficult to live with as a daily driver, and cannot be optioned to compare to a Challenger anyway - no nav option, bluetooth through On Star, no spare tire in SS models, manual climate control...

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Current muscle car sales are at 20% Challenger, 46% Camaro, the rest Mustang.

Just like the late 60's; the masses go for the cheap stuff.

We win in the end. Heh heh.......

TRR

09 R/T, #9 six speed Challenger built, all options, black, lowered, Baer 6 piston 14" rotor brakes, 11 SRT chin spoiler and quad tips, Razorsedge front rear strut tower braces subframe connectors, Hurst with BK throw rod upgrade, BT everywhere

·
Registered
762 Posts
Countless times a day when I park my RT Torred at a reatuarant or store of some type, people will say "I love your car" or I wish I had one of them etc etc. And this is mostly women of course. Kinda makes you feel good.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts