Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 52 mile round trip to work and back home everyday. About half is highway and half city. I never gave much thought to the Sport Mode, tried it once or twice, but for the last month I've used it continually and I've been getting two MPG better with it on. EVIC with Sport mode off has been 21 MPG (EVIC reads about .7 MPG better than actual MPG) and 23 MPG with Sport Mode on. I guess it likes hanging in the higher RPM longer.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
WOW, That is hard to believe!

The reason that you are not getting any feedback on this, is because everyone thinks you are making a statement is really hard to believe! I would say that this can't happen. when in sport function, the RPMs are higher thus more RPM's more gas is being used. But, hey you might have a special engine on your Challenger!

Just saying..................

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't find it all that hard to believe. The transmission will shift less, the car won't bog itself by going to a higher gear when its unnecessary.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
I have a 52 mile round trip to work and back home everyday. About half is highway and half city. I never gave much thought to the Sport Mode, tried it once or twice, but for the last month I've used it continually and I've been getting two MPG better with it on. EVIC with Sport mode off has been 21 MPG (EVIC reads about .7 MPG better than actual MPG) and 23 MPG with Sport Mode on. I guess it likes hanging in the higher RPM longer.
Makes sense. Shifts higher but when it shifts, you’re not dogging in the next gear so less throttle needed to accelerate up to speed. Mine always shifts too early in normal mode so I have to give it more throttle to get it moving.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Could be a lot of factors are at work on my particular route. Certain speeds, my driving style, who knows. My thinking was along the lines as KJ392. All I know is that higher RPM does not always mean lower fuel mileage. I had a few 5.0 Mustangs, manual trans, in the late '80s-early '90s. They got better mileage at 70 MPH than at 60 MPH.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Could be a lot of factors are at work on my particular route. Certain speeds, my driving style, who knows. My thinking was along the lines as KJ392. All I know is that higher RPM does not always mean lower fuel mileage. I had a few 5.0 Mustangs, manual trans, in the late '80s-early '90s. They got better mileage at 70 MPH than at 60 MPH.
Also one of the reasons the manuals get better mileage than the autos. They can hold in gear longer so when they shift they don't need to depress the throttle as much. RPM isn't as bad at using gas as more throttle is.
If your in 3rd at 30 and want to increase your speed to 35, it will take more throttle to do it than if you were in 2nd. The injector pulse width is longer at lower RPMs to make the same power than if you were at higher RPMs. Your injectors frequency increases at a higher RPM but the pulse width (spray time) is less. Simple physics...
The more it bogs, the more throttle it takes to speed up. More throttle, longer pulse widths.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is a study I read this year that said you will net better MPG if you accelerate to speed rather than cruising to speed. Maybe this plays a factor since sport mode rev's a little higher and your getting into the higher torque range.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The first thing that comes to mind is a study I read this year that said you will net better MPG if you accelerate to speed rather than cruising to speed. Maybe this plays a factor since sport mode rev's a little higher and your getting into the higher torque range.
That's one thing I've always done is get up to speed quickly. I'm making a habit of keeping the sport mode on because it's a much better ride in town that way. With it off the engine is constantly bogging down in too low RPM and constantly shifting with the slightest throttle change.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are you serious dude? really? you believe what you just wrote?
Dude........................
Yes, I do believe what I just wrote. I've been around cars my entire life, work on them all the time, and sell them for a living. Where I am at, more power is better, because you aren't asking as much out of the car. If I go to the mountains, about 1 mile away from where I am sitting right now, I make sure I am in a low enough gear to climb easily. If I go up a gear too high, I use more gas trying to accelerate than I would by staying in the right gear.

By your theory, we might as well just all start out in 3rd right? I mean the car will accelerate from that, so 1st and 2nd makes no difference.

I am not picking on you, just trying to prove my logic. You would easily use more gas accelerating from 0-40 in 3rd than you would by using the proper gears at the proper times.

With CAFE standards they way they are, everyone is trying to provide the best fuel economy numbers they can, and the way testing is done making a car shift earlier is best to get that number.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
With CAFE standards they way they are, everyone is trying to provide the best fuel economy numbers they can, and the way testing is done making a car shift earlier is best to get that number.
That's exactly what my dealer and the SRT group told me when I made an inquiry into the early shifting with my A5. Early shifts = increased fuel "economy" and Chrysler will squeeze every bit out of all products to meet CAFE.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
are you guys talking about 5 speed auto, and 6speeds? or just 5speed auto?
My original post concerns my A5 2013 R/T. I had a 2010 and 20102 RT both M6 and got really good mileage out of them, something along the lines of 20-21 rural and city and 28 on the highway. Most of my cars have been manual trans and I've always gotten far better than rated mileage in them. A combination I think of where I live and my driving habits. On autos however, I've always gotten just rated mileage till this one, which is better than rated.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
mjb4450 , nice, I had manual vett, and mustang which was fun to drive but i couldn't see me in an Challenger with a manual lol...

seems like this car does not like city driving, to heavy, gas mileage suffers a lot in the city or even partial city driving this is a true cruiser which i like so much now that I'm 54 years of age....

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
after reading this thread I actually put my car in SPORT mode last night.. first time, maybe 3rd
time I used the Auto and not auto-stick.. felt like a completely different car.. pretty cool.
I'm afraid my mileage would go down...too much fun !! :)

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mjb4450 , nice, I had manual vett, and mustang which was fun to drive but i couldn't see me in an Challenger with a manual lol...
seems like this car does not like city driving, to heavy, gas mileage suffers a lot in the city or even partial city driving this is a true cruiser which i like so much now that I'm 54 years of age....
Well, I'm five years north of you and I'm at the stage where I'm split between auto and manual. As far as city driving and mileage, what I was trying to explain before I got the "impossible" replies is that city driving in one place is not the same as city driving elsewhere. A long time ago I lived in Northern New Jersey and city driving there is nothing like city driving here so of course mileage would be drastically different. That's one reason why my mileage is not "impossible". Here most major city street speed limits are 40-45 mph (which means you're doing 50-55 till you hit a speed camera zone or as I call it, the Maginot Line of traffic control, then everyone slows to 35 because they're morons and think they will get a ticket for doing 36 in a 45, rant over) with a traffic light every 1/2 to one mile which allows the engine to run longer at it's most efficient rpm. In places like NYC however, I would expect to get five mpg.

·
Registered
357 Posts
In places like NYC however, I would expect to get five mpg.
This past two weeks i've been averaging between 9-12 MPG in the city (NYC)... HORRIBLE... I also had MDS disabled. For the next two weeks I'll be re-enabling MDS to see if their is a change...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Sport Mode VS Auto

I just can not accept that fact that a 392 gets better gas milage in Sport Mode than in just Auto! It does not equate in my "pea brain" and it does not matter what people write on this forum and try to explain this outlandish statement. Maybe my Sport Mode works differently on my car than anyone else's:dunno:
Believe what you want, but it is B/S!

David

1 - 20 of 27 Posts