Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All -

My 2012 Challenger RT with Super Track Pack isn't quite at 75K miles. Always garaged, but fairly low mileage semi-daily-driver.

I just got new tires and took it in for alignment (old tires were just starting to show some odd wear). Before aligning it, they showed me that both front forward lower control arm bushings were worn, and one front rearward lower control arm looked to have degraded bushings. So I am having them replace all four lower control arms and also the lower ball joints, so now I think the front lower suspension will be good.

Questions for forum members:

1. At what mileage have these cars been needing replacement of upper control arms/bushings/balljoints, and front struts?
2. I know the Super Track Pack lets the front sit lower, but I don't see any special part numbers for control arms for this package. So I guess the lower ride height is just a function of shorter springs, so all other control arms and struts are the same for all Challengers?
3. I decided to go with the best Moog parts for all the lower front suspension due to availability, price and reviews. One day when I do the upper control arms, what make/model do forum members recommend (and do they recommend the adjustable type)? And if I ever need struts, does everyone agree Bilstein B6's are a good choice?

Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,023 Posts
Hi All -

My 2012 Challenger RT with Super Track Pack isn't quite at 75K miles. Always garaged, but fairly low mileage semi-daily-driver.

I just got new tires and took it in for alignment (old tires were just starting to show some odd wear). Before aligning it, they showed me that both front forward lower control arm bushings were worn, and one front rearward lower control arm looked to have degraded bushings. So I am having them replace all four lower control arms and also the lower ball joints, so now I think the front lower suspension will be good.

Questions for forum members:

1. At what mileage have these cars been needing replacement of upper control arms/bushings/balljoints, and front struts?
2. I know the Super Track Pack lets the front sit lower, but I don't see any special part numbers for control arms for this package. So I guess the lower ride height is just a function of shorter springs, so all other control arms and struts are the same for all Challengers?
3. I decided to go with the best Moog parts for all the lower front suspension due to availability, price and reviews. One day when I do the upper control arms, what make/model do forum members recommend (and do they recommend the adjustable type)? And if I ever need struts, does everyone agree Bilstein B6's are a good choice?

Thank you in advance for your help.
1) 75K miles seems early for all this, but if the parts are worn, they’re worn. Replacing them a little early is much preferred to continued driving with worn-out suspension components and the subsequent issues that can cause.

2) Yes, lowered ride height is from springs. Suspension components such as control arms should be the same as non-STP cars.

3) If the Moog parts work, go with the same for uppers when it’s time. Adjustable are unnecessary if ride height is not altered by a significant amount with lowering springs.

Hard to beat the Bilstein B6 struts, I would stick with them unless you have a compelling reason not to.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Nuke, thanks for the solid response. Finally had the work done on Tuesday then drove 120 miles Wed/Thu. The car rides better for sure, but that could all be due to a fresh alignment on new tires. The old lower forward control arms definitely had more slop than the new versions. The lower rearward controls arms were probably fine but for $80 per side plus labor it probably made sense to replace all the lower parts at once while it was apart. The Moog parts seem to be well made, and the ball joints now have grease fittings which are the higher-quality parts.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
586 Posts
Lower forward control arm...probably the tension strut in Mopar parlance or thrust arms elsewhere. Yes, that bushing at the subframe is known to wear causing clunking and shimmy-ing- especially if autocrossed or road raced. I've replaced them twice with Mopar units; I'm at 95k miles now and just installed fancy Syncro Design Works ones since I'm hitting several new tracks this year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts