Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 12 srt with active suspension and my idea right now, after my Barton that is, is to lower the car and add struttbars. Now does anyone have some opinions on this for me. Im looking into front rear struts and the kw coil over springs that will work with the active shocks. Or ditch all that and buy some BC real coilovers and ditch the active all together. I mostly run around town and hour long trips but will be looking into some road racing fun this summer. Just wonder what some opinions are.

Thanks, Shane

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Hi Shane; i have 2013 SRT and i am ditching the adaptive suspension as well in prep of road course sessions this spring and summer; also ditching the rims and going with slicks on 18's

in regards to suspension, I have chosen to go with the EIBACH R2 Pro Line; the coils come at 650 lbs but can be upgraded from 750 to 1200 lbs depending on the application

i am sure BC works as well and this becomes a matter of preferences

in addition i would recommend to ditch all of the stock bushings on the rear cradle and upgrade the front A suspensions arms then at last the sway bars will make the difference;

installing stiffer components on stock bushings just puts more stress on parts that were not designed to work with these kind of loads

BC, EIBACH, whatever; but if you are on curvy road courses and where you need to make a series a hard breaking to take in the apex, having the beast not nose diving helps steer clear of smaller cars;

my last road course at NJMP i was leaving behind VW Jetta and Lotus just on to see them catching up with me each time we would reach sharp corners and long carousels, trailing my ass and having to let them go by because they were just faster in that part of the track

the only guy who could challenge them had 750hp at the rear wheel on a Shelby with a complete suspension overhaul;

the challenger power is fine; weight, suspension will make the world of a difference along with the proper tires and rims

Cheers, ODP

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Sounds like u will have a real beast on ur hands. I would love to see some video of one of ur track days. That all makes good sense. Never thought about all the soft bushings. My first car in 20 years so I'm just trying to learn and get a good base to work with. I just primarily want something fun and that I can still drive around town without too much of a harsh ride.

Primary reason I'm looking at the bc is price. I don't really have the funds for anything full on race inspired. My racing knowledge comes from off road and bikes (no actual racing) so I had never heard of kw or bc until i recently started looking into upgrades. Any suggestions on a good coilover for a beginner?

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Thanks for the info. Sounds like u will have a real beast on ur hands. I would love to see some video of one of ur track days. That all makes good sense. Never thought about all the soft bushings. My first car in 20 years so I'm just trying to learn and get a good base to work with. I just primarily want something fun and that I can still drive around town without too much of a harsh ride.

Primary reason I'm looking at the bc is price. I don't really have the funds for anything full on race inspired. My racing knowledge comes from off road and bikes (no actual racing) so I had never heard of kw or bc until i recently started looking into upgrades. Any suggestions on a good coilover for a beginner?
Seems KW's are a great alternative to keep it street with more a of a tighter feel without upgrading the whole system along with bushings

Just know that you will be able to change the set up in the front but the back must be set up at install time

Some guys on the forum have installed them; they can share more on the details

I am not an expert or that experienced, but wherever you are register to NASA and run their HPDE events; they have instructors to help you who do racing in spec Miata, BMW M3 Challenge, Continental series; some of them are great are others are average; but spending a week end on the track and seeing what others do and chat with them, you can actually learn a great deal and very quickly

the car won't be ready before the month of May; will keep u posted on videos

Cheers

ODP

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Shane; i have 2013 SRT and i am ditching the adaptive suspension as well in prep of road course sessions this spring and summer; also ditching the rims and going with slicks on 18's

in regards to suspension, I have chosen to go with the EIBACH R2 Pro Line; the coils come at 650 lbs but can be upgraded from 750 to 1200 lbs depending on the application

i am sure BC works as well and this becomes a matter of preferences

in addition i would recommend to ditch all of the stock bushings on the rear cradle and upgrade the front A suspensions arms then at last the sway bars will make the difference;

installing stiffer components on stock bushings just puts more stress on parts that were not designed to work with these kind of loads

BC, EIBACH, whatever; but if you are on curvy road courses and where you need to make a series a hard breaking to take in the apex, having the beast not nose diving helps steer clear of smaller cars;

my last road course at NJMP i was leaving behind VW Jetta and Lotus just on to see them catching up with me each time we would reach sharp corners and long carousels, trailing my ass and having to let them go by because they were just faster in that part of the track

the only guy who could challenge them had 750hp at the rear wheel on a Shelby with a complete suspension overhaul;

the challenger power is fine; weight, suspension will make the world of a difference along with the proper tires and rims

Cheers, ODP
Did you have any issues with the car once you removed the adaptive suspension? Did the see any codes thrown?

Thanks!

- Matt

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Did you have any issues with the car once you removed the adaptive suspension? Did the see any codes thrown?

Thanks!

- Matt
Not removed yet as the car will reach the shop in about three weeks; the answer came on this forum from one of the members that was speaking to the SRT engineers at the ROLEX24; the engineers said that if all are disabled there are no codes

obviously, if you leave one strut connected you could expect a code thrown at you

EIBACH stipulates through its re-sellers network not through its official site that the system must be disconnected for the R2 to be installed which confirms the SRT engineers statement

at the end, you can disconnect them right now and drive the car on a back street and test, which is what i am planning to do on my free time

make sure you disco the battery before disconnecting the Adaptive suspension so the PCM does not freak out at reboot

i saw the connections on the rear strut, did not check the front yet

opposed to prior statements on this forum; the adaptive suspension is active on ALL 4 struts not only the front

ODP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts