Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the Challenger comes out with Independent rear wheel suspension vs a solid rear axel. I see a lot comments about this spread out on various threads. Maybe we should get this thread going to centralize the issue.
The positives i see about irs are its handling capabilitys on day to day normal driving especially on less than perfect roads , its ability to corner, and if i missed some sorry , you can tack em on to this thread. The negatives about Irs that point people toward a solid rear axle are that with high horse power
are its ability to get that power to the ground without wheel skipping especially with a manual transmission. (The way I used to race quartermiles I could bark the slicks hitting second and third with a manual transmission , most people thought i was driving an automatic) If I start wheel skipping on my shifts I would consider this a serious issue. So a question I will toss out there to some of you who have kept up with the current tech is will we be able switch out of the IRS to a Sra system aftermarket and how much more is it gonna soak us for after we get the car? To me, it looks like another issue we will face is how soon will frame ties be available or are we gonna have to make our own , or modify a set built from a similar chasis. Face it folks for those of us who are gonna get on it and go go go especially from the Xmas tree or even street drags or light to light racing. This much torque and horsepower will have long term effects such a twisting and stress cracks developing. This wont be an issue if its your sunday drive or you drive normally. But if you like to play and play hard these things maybe necessary to keep you baby healthy for a good long time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Suspension Issues IRS vs SRA

IRS vs SRA

SRA:

Over the years, I have owned the following SRA cars:

Challenger 1970 340~4 speed (my first and most loved car).
Firebird Formula 1973 455 Ram Air Auto.
2 Firebird Formula 350, (do not remember the years).
Buick Gran National 1987.
Chevelle SS 454 1970 4speed with Cowl Induction (remember the vacuum operated door on the hood).
...and other SRA cars not worth mentionning.

IRS

I had a 1986 and a 1989 Corvette 350.
...and other IRS car not worth mentionning.

At the strip, in my opinion nothing is better than SRA: easier to hook, less whell hop, stronger. lighter, easier to change gears.

For road racing, I think that nothing is better than IRS: the shifting of weight (loading and unloading the suspension) from one side of the car to the other do not affect the handling as much as the SRA. The car is more stable and the back do not get out as much under you. In other words, what is happening to one wheel do not affect as much the other wheel, There is less skipping, more biting and less trama at the back. You can fell that with your butt at the bottom of the bucket seat...unless the road is glass perfect!

MY DREAM CAR: a CHALLENGER with a perfect body as the concept with IRS (I much prefer to race than drag), an aluminum monster HEMI engine, 6 speed manual, less than 3750 pounds as close as possible to 50~50 weight distribution, big Brembo brakes with air intakes, wide and low tires and a shaker hood CUDA style! I would break my piggy bank to buy it.

I would love to hear from you MOPAR nuts brothers what would be your dream CHALLENGER and what you would use it for! Drag , racing or other... AND what is your feeling as a driver when you drive an IRS vs a SRA car!

HEY DCX I WANT TO GIVE YOU MY CHALLENGER MONEY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. DCX, YOU ARE LOOSING INTEREST ON YOUR INVESTMENT.

·
Registered
23 Posts

DCX Keep it simple stupid! Bring back the 8 3/4" sure grip so we can do easy ratio changes. With a HEMI and manual transmission, give me a rear end that will take the abuse of drag racing. All I need is a IRS to tear up. Why would you want to make it more complicated than it has to be?

·
Registered
14 Posts

In an ideal world they would offer both-SRA and IRS, but if I had to choose, I'd take the SRA for the same reasons mentioned already: cost, durabilty, proven, etc.

I would have to believe that the LY platform and drivetrain combinations on which the production Challenger will be built, will be designed to handle the tourque of the 6.1, 6.4 with manual transmission.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Huh... I have very little experience between the two. Thanks for the intersting information. I am learning lots.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts

Might I point out a very important point. The Viper is, and always has been IRS. As far as it not being strong enough I've yet to hear of a Viper with a broken rear end. Just to let ya know the Vipers in the link are still IRS.:eek:

http://www.undergroundracing.com/video/video.htm

·
Registered
102 Posts

IRS for me please.
I have a car with a SRA (2005 Mustang GT) and I would rather have one with an IRS (like all my previous cars, most notably the last two: BMW M3s, E36 and E46).
Why did I get the Mustang with the SRA you might ask ? Well, her looks just captured me...
It would be the same case with the Challenger, but I hope so much they will stick to IRS (PS: I heard somewhere that even the Mustang, for its 2009 restyling, will have IRS instead of SRA)...

·
Registered
973 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost positive that the Chrysler 300 has an IRS. I read a 300 CSRT forum and have never heard anyone say that they have wheel hop. Never.

I'll take the IRS anyday over solid.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts

ChuckG said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost positive that the Chrysler 300 has an IRS. I read a 300 CSRT forum and have never heard anyone say that they have wheel hop. Never.

I'll take the IRS anyday over solid.
All the current LX platform shares a IRS system.:cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts

ND RAM said:
Might I point out a very important point. The Viper is, and always has been IRS. As far as it not being strong enough I've yet to hear of a Viper with a broken rear end. Just to let ya know the Vipers in the link are still IRS.:eek:

http://www.undergroundracing.com/video/video.htm

OK, I feel better about the IRS.

BTW, I'd love to see video of the Challenger doing its 0-60, 1/4 mile, and speed trials...If it exists...

·
Registered
2 Posts

yeah the irs is good, but honestly for straight line-sra, for a supercar-irs, i believe the sra would be best for the chally, because ive seen a many vipers,vettes and cobras with broken axles and housings and it aint pretty when it happens

·
Registered
17 Posts

I understand the argument for a SRA but you have to look at this car from a production viability standpoint. It's only gonna get built if the company's gonna make money on it. The best way to do that is to use as many parts from the already existing bin as possible. An IRS is gonna sit better with the magazines and make the car more versatile. And the numbers being put down by modern cars with IRS are pretty ridiculous (Hennessee Vipers, Lingenfelter Vettes, Ford GT, AMG Mercedes, etc). Whether or not we like it, much of the LX platform is a Mercedes hand-me-down so the car's gonna be IRS.

·
Registered
23 Posts

ND RAM said:
From what I've seen most Vipers are not driven the way I intend to drive a Challenger with regular trips to the drag strip. The Viper owners I've known have them for the ego factor. They know what they can do but rarely if ever prove it. If I have a car that goes fast, i want to drive it that way.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

wawarnick said:
From what I've seen most Vipers are not driven the way I intend to drive a Challenger with regular trips to the drag strip. The Viper owners I've known have them for the ego factor. They know what they can do but rarely if ever prove it. If I have a car that goes fast, i want to drive it that way.
Thank you!! The IRS will not hold up to that many trips down the dragstrip.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts

wawarnick said:
The ones I know prove it, often. I tend to agree with balddude though, parts off the shelf are cheaper.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts

ND RAM said:
Might I point out a very important point. The Viper is, and always has been IRS. As far as it not being strong enough I've yet to hear of a Viper with a broken rear end.
That right there has always settled the question for me. My '96 LT-4 Corvette hooked and handled power well with the stock IRS. I'm also more likely to autocross and road race than 1/4 mile theese days.

It would be cool if they offered a Super Trak Pak Challenger, 3.91 gears solid axel and stripped...like even roll down windows.

·
Registered
72 Posts

IRS vs SRA

The IRS is now used in cars with higher HP than the CHALLENGER. It will be used in the next 700HP VIPER and it is now used in many high power cars all around the world. It is a well documented fact that IRS behave better on the roads than SRA. NO QUESTION ABOUT IT! The first mission of the CHALLENGER is to be used as a street car not at the strip! The LX and LY platforms are built for IRS and I would bet my last dollar that the CHALLENGER will be IRS...and I am very happy about it! I have no doubt it will be more than solid enough for "spirited" day to day use...DCX is now well known to build strong cars and they won't loose their reputation and money on a bad or weak design. I trust DCX to build a great looking and strong CHALLENGER SOOOOOOON....

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

nextchall said:
IRS vs SRA

The IRS is now used in cars with higher HP than the CHALLENGER. It will be used in the next 700HP VIPER and it is now used in many high power cars all around the world.
Yes but at what cost?? You can't tell me that the IRS in a 700+ HP car is the same one in the challenger.

It is a well documented fact that IRS behave better on the roads than SRA. NO QUESTION ABOUT IT!
I beg to differ.....I have driven both and there is not enough difference to make a difference!!

The first mission of the CHALLENGER is to be used as a street car not at the strip!
True but there are going to be people that will take it to the track and offten!

The LX and LY platforms are built for IRS and I would bet my last dollar that the CHALLENGER will be IRS...and I am very happy about it!

Probably will and I'm glad you will like it but there are going to be some people (like myself) that will not...And I hope that if dodge puts the IRS in the challenger that they have alot of them in stock at the dealership so then can replace the ones that will come back tore up!!

I have no doubt it will be more than solid enough for "spirited" day to day use...DCX is now well known to build strong cars and they won't loose their reputation and money on a bad or weak design. I trust DCX to build a great looking and strong CHALLENGER SOOOOOOON....

They might get away with it in a automatic buy not a 6-speed.

Everbody has a opinion on this and I still think the SRA is stronger than the IRS and I still go back to the mustang...Ford tryed it and it did not work they keep changing rearends on the cobra and if DC goes the IRS route then they can get ready to do the same.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts