Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I finally pulled the trigger on a set of stainless works headers (HM642HDRCAT with the 2" primaries) for my 15 5.7 magnuson SC engine. This along with some other mods I have planned will keep me busy until spring. Won't get the headers until early December but I would like to know where you LT header guys put your wideband O2 sensor bung?

Is there enough room to put it on the opposite side of the stock O2 or do you put it on the same side just a couple of inches away?

Also do you use gaskets or RTV with your setup?

Thanks!

Update:

So it looks like the innovate bung is 1 inch long which means the O2 sensor is shrouded and will not protrude. Therefore the bung can be welded just below the stock sensor bung. As for the gaskets...I will figure out what I am going with once I get the stock ones off. Apparently there are oval and rectangle ones available.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep us updated, I bought the same setup, and have a SC coming too. Just curious how much did you give for yours? I gave 1337.60 through auto anything.
I originally was going to pay $1520 shipped but cancelled the order as they can be had from Speedlogic for 20% off which puts it around $1300 depending on shipping cost. It seems SW offers a couple of variations of header systems ranging from $1100 to $1600. The set-up I want is the latest 2" primary which looks to have a smooth collector to pipe transition. The other set-ups seem to neck down near the outlet where it steps to the 3" pipe diameter. Going to place a new order soon, as my 1" stainless bungs just arrived. I run an 8lb maggie will run an Innovate PSB-1 simply because it is an AFR, boost gauge and a shift light all in-one gauge (going to hook up to the trinity as well to help dial in the tune). I am still sitting on the pot when it comes to were the gauge should be mounted...pillar (easier to see but will cost ~$300) or overhead (I 3D printed a pod but it looks like I may not have enough cabling)?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah I checked their prices, they were a few bucks cheaper than Autoanything. I'd rather have some direct customer support from the forum as well. So I'm gonna switch to them. I almost ordered the 2" but I'm thinking that's gonna be a bit big, so 1 7/8 for the low end. I have my whipple gen3 on order and paid for, its just a hurry up and wait game. Thanks for the headsup!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah I checked their prices, they were a few bucks cheaper than Autoanything. I'd rather have some direct customer support from the forum as well. So I'm gonna switch to them. I almost ordered the 2" but I'm thinking that's gonna be a bit big, so 1 7/8 for the low end. I have my whipple gen3 on order and paid for, its just a hurry up and wait game. Thanks for the headsup!
Even the 1 7/8 is overkill unless you start hitting +600hp. With the SC I can afford to loose a little low end torque...I really don't think 1/8" is going to do much but it would be so rice to say...yup she's got 2" primaries. I thought about whipple but the maggie is so quiet (you hear a slight whine at launch) that it makes it such a sleeper. Although the exhaust overpowers everything so in the end it is a moot point.

Update: actually I am off on the HP figure for 1 7/8". According to Hot Rod 1 7/8" is good up to 500HP and 2" for +500HP.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-to-pick-the-right-header/

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, just got a Fedex notification that a package from stainless works is going to be delivered on Saturday....cannot wait!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, hopefully mine will be coming soon. Let me know how the install goes and any tips would be appreciated! What exhaust size are you tying into?
For now I am plumbing up to my existing 2.5" corsa extreme. Hope to install soon...like end of December. I cannot wait to get these bad boys in! I don't have a lift so I need to get the front end high enough to make sure I can install them. Hope it is just as easy to install than the headers I installed on my buddies BMW (some of those bolts were a PITA unscrew).

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yeah exactly. I'm curious if it wil bottleneck my 3" exhaust or will even line up to a 2.75 factory exhaust.
I think going from 3" to 2.75" x-pipe and back to 3" catback would be a small loss.

Right now I am about to drill the hole for the extra bung. Does not look like there is enough room between the chassis and header collector to mount at 12 o'clock (snapped a pic from the SW vid and it looks too tight) so I think I will mount at 3 o'clock. The flange on these headers are razor sharp...not sure why they don't knock the edge off. Almost cut myself picking them up. Very nice quality welds and bends though!

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, holes drilled and I machined the bungs on my benchtop lathe to have a small step so they fit nicely into the 7/8" holes. I called 2 local muffler shops and they are not interested in the business (one shop only had mig). Looks like more calls are needed but a lot of places are closed on Sunday. Worst case, I will take it to the outside machine shop my company uses frequently...but minimum charge is 1 hour $100. BUT I know their capabilities and they always do a perfect job.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Mahle gaskets arrive and just as I suspected they will need modification to work with the SW headers as the 3 creases at the bend of the heat shield hit the flange. Time to bust out the dremel.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good job so far! I just got shipping confirmation on mine. Run into any obsticals yet beyond the above mentioned?
It is slow going. Found a shop that will tig weld the bungs but it will have to wait until this saturday to get done. I want to start pulling the headers but I also want to drive the car up until the weather turns to pot. This 30F cold air makes it so much fun to drive the car. My IAT was showing 42F after a couple of hard runs and the diablo showed no timing was being pulled under boost.

When you get the SW headers, get a small file and break all the edges. I just did it to both header flanges as I almost cut myself yet again when I was checking the gasket fit. I have read most people recommend OEM gaskets and bolts but the ones from SW appear to be of good quality. If all goes well I hope to have installed before the new year. For S&G I called a performance shop that my buddy used for his BMW just to see how much they would charge to install and the quoted $800. Rather put that money towards xmas gifts for the fam...besides I am in no rush and like I said, I love to wrench.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts