Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Twin turbo 5.7 or buy a crate 6.4

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 5.7 and am wondering if I should buy the 392 crate and engine swap or twin turbo my 5.7 with the hellion sleeper kit.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Depends on a lot of factors. Do you drive it every day. Do you live where there’s snow. How many miles already on your car. Will you have the spare cash if you smoke the stock motor. Is it your only car in case you do blow it up.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
582 Posts
if your looking for 392 level performance slap on a 6psi super charger and call it a day. Much cheaper.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I don’t know how you guys afford twin turbos
The basic Hellion kit isn't much more than a supercharger system with long tube headers.

if your looking for 392 level performance slap on a 6psi super charger and call it a day. Much cheaper.
Would definitely be easier with the install and plenty of people have good tunes for that setup as well.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
582 Posts
i kind of tire of the just buy a hellcat thing but to twin turbo a forged 6.4 your looking at 20k just in parts and if you cant do it your self north of 30k. Sell your r/t and with that much cash your into a good used low mile hellcat. Heck for the price of what your doing you could near buy a new scat. Keep your 5.7 put in a forged rotating assembly and put a blower on it and run it at 12psi. If its just 6.4 performance your looking for like was said a 6-7 psi blower or a cam, heads and headers will get you there.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,444 Posts
1 post 5 months ago, don't feed the troll. He is still stuck deciding on if his 1.4 Civic is cool.
Only thing I can find on that username is Minecraft videos.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,623 Posts
Just because he posted once and didn't come back doesn't make him a troll. From his IP it appears he is a Marine. I have seen a million times someone post at multiple forums, and then never revisit most of them. He didn't revive the thread after 3 months. It would have (had) just dropped down the forum to cause no issues. If it is revived, and people want to revisit the subject...so be it

A Guy

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,444 Posts
OK, when he comes back, I'll judge then.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,330 Posts
I know this is an old post but I'll voice my opinion since he asked. I'd vote for the twin turbo eleven times out of ten.

If I'd have thought about modding a Challenger (performance wise), I'd have bought the 5.7 and put a Hellion on it. It'd have better than 6.4 power levels and the option to control power with a boost controller (E-Boost 2). The 5.7's take boost better than the 6.4's do but the down side is that my draw to our SRT was those Friggin' garbage can lid sized brakes! They look and perform so darned good! The other features of Ruby were also draw but she was just the total package.

My Wife wanted the SRT over the Scat Pack and even the Hellcat because you couldn't get a roof in a Cat in 2015 and also I'll NEVER pay ADM (or even sticker) for a car that's going to lose money before leaving the lot.

Back in 2015, when the updated body style came out, we also may have gotten one of the best deals around too (I'm cheap and our dealership pulled a Godfather on us..........They made us an offer that we couldn't refuse :D )!

I hope that the OP posts up what they decided to do because I'm a little curious and also...Sorry for going so far off track and ranting like a Knucklehead!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts