Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I started reading some threads where RT owners are converting to SRT air boxes and throwing in a K&N (or other high performance) air filter. Got a few questions concerning this:

1. What is the deal with automatics vs 6-speeds? I thought I saw a post in one of the threads stating the 6-speed RT had the same setup as the SRT. Is that correct? If so, and since I’m a 6-speed owner, it would make sense to skip the swap and just drop in a K&N filter, right?

2. Does the SRT setup have air ducts from the air dam that help force air into the box/intake? If so, what is required to get this functionality for the RT? And are there any install threads (with pictures) I could reference? I recall hearing the SRT air dam had air ducts, but for some reason I thought those were for brake heat.

3. From what I’ve read, after the mod is performed the exhaust is deeper and some state it “feels” like there are a few more ponies under the hood. The sound would correspond with 6-speed’s being louder & deeper supporting the thought maybe 6-speeds do have the same air box setup as the SRT’s, as asked in #1 above. Assuming it makes both platforms (automatic & 6-speeds) better overall, has anyone performed a dyno? And are there dyno’s showing the mod without tune and then one with tune?

4. How does this swap compare with a traditional CAI system? Looking more at performance, warranty issues, etc. Cost is a no brainer as the research I’ve done looks like only about $120 or so (SRT box + air filter -- although not sure of cost to run air ducting as noted in#2, if that is possible) vs. $300 for a CAI system.

5. Looking later down the road, would this setup work with a super charger setup? Or would it be preferred to run with an aftermarket CAI system? Which then begs the next question, which CAI system would be best to use in a s/c setup?

Just trying to figure out the path I am going to take on mods. I don’t want to waste time and/or money on stuff that isn’t worthwhile. If some of this has been answered elsewhere, I apologize. The search functionality here isn’t the best. Thanks in advance for the help!!!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Intakes are the same on both auto and manuals. SRT ducts are strictly for brakes. Intake whoosh is a little more pronounced with the SRT intake, and the exhaust is slightly deeper as well. I believe the SRT airbox has a larger opening on the bottom. I swapped just the intake tube because I don't like the looks of the silencer. I've had a K&N drop-in nearly from day one.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f37/5-minute-intake-tube-swap-45336/

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
RT owners consider the srt8 airbox because it lacks the ugly silencer (which takes up the same space where many install a catch can), and is considerably cheaper than buying an aftermarket CAI, using a drop in provides roughly the same performance.

I doubt the exhaust is going to change much from the different intake, you'll hear the intake of air more sans the silencer, just as you will by using a cai. The performance "feel" mentioned is more than likely just because they've done something and they hear a difference, and think they feel a difference. I couldn't tell any difference from the drop in K&N over the factory filter.

The larger conical filter will likely suck more air in than the stock filter will, they usually do better in other cars, but it really depends on whether the engine needs the extra air flow or not. I think that is more tune related. Supercharged cars tend to suck more air than normally aspirated ones do, but they also have different intake designs or locations. I've had several other supercharged or turbocharged cars before, and the intake by itself really didn't play that big a factor unless the exhaust system was upgraded as well. Once the exhaust was done, then opening up the intake did make a measurable difference. Just replacing the main mufflers or the resonators makes a difference in flow and sound, i replaced my suitecase (on the auto r/t)within weeks after i got it and used glasspack resonator eliminators on the rear bumper mufflers and it really didn't offer much of a performance gain, it did however change how the car sounded.

I'm only considering a CAI due to the functional scoop design i have on my car, to add a little extra air in. I removed the glasspacks and put the factory resonators back on due to drone, in the future i'll more than likely upgrade the mufflers again or get an entire catback kit to get mandrel bends and slightly better flow. Then the intake may make a difference that you could actually feel.

If you are seriously considering supercharging, its better to plan your intake ahead of time and don't bother with an aftermarket kit. I'm pretty sure the KB supercharger changes the intake location, i'd have to look at more systems though. It does on other KB kits from other makes.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
I find that without the 'silencer' there is better throttle response. Maybe removing the silencer allows for more accurate air sensor readings? This is not to say the throttle lag is gone, but at low rpm it seems better.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I've done this mod and I can tell you the car feels a tiny bit peppier. The reason I went with this mod is I couldn't justify spending $250+ for a CAI. Here I have the SRT8 intake, which is an improvement not just because of the removal of the tumor/goiter, but you have a bigger air opening towards the bottom of the air box. It appears that this will give the intake a bigger gulp of air. I then threw in a K&N filter to replace the OEM one.

Like I said, just a tad peppier than before. I noticed no change in sound, however. Nothing is louder after removing the goiter.

For the money, I'm fairly happy with the system.

BTW, automatic or manual shouldn't matter, it will be the same thing. Would be nice if ever someone were to make before and after dyno with just this mod.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
If anyone is interested, I have an SRT airbox and intake tube I will sell for $50. I also have a KN drop in filter that I used for maybe a 100 miles I'll sell for $20. Shipping actual cost. pm me if you are interested

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I bought an SRT intake from another member and I use a AFE drop in filter with it. Sounds good, and I haven't had any issues with it. Looks a 1000% better than the "tumor".

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
If anyone is interested, I have an SRT airbox and intake tube I will sell for $50. I also have a KN drop in filter that I used for maybe a 100 miles I'll sell for $20. Shipping actual cost. pm me if you are interested
What CAI did you end up going with? Also did you notice any improvement over the SRT tube and box?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
What CAI did you end up going with? Also did you notice any improvement over the SRT tube and box?
I went with the Mopar CAI. The short one that matches the TA hood I bought (someday i will paint and install it lol). I didnt really notice any difference other than looks. I had also removed the rubber trim piece around the out of the radiator to get more cold air in to the air filter from the grill area.

I actually like the SRT setup. really helps clean up the engine compartment and the tube is really nice and stout.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I bought an SRT intake from another member and I use a AFE drop in filter with it. Sounds good, and I haven't had any issues with it. Looks a 1000% better than the "tumor".

I did the exact same, also with an AFE filter. It looks way better than the tumored intake. It also breathes better and looks stock. It does have a noticeable difference in throttle throatiness. To me, it sounds way better, but not overly obnoxious.

If you can get one for $50, do it. It's a good mod.

I'm also using a Spectre flexible tube running down from my air box to suck in ram air. My SRT chin spoiler is on order and I will be attaching the tube to the brake duct for a force fed system.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I did the exact same, also with an AFE filter. It looks way better than the tumored intake. It also breathes better and looks stock. It does have a noticeable difference in throttle throatiness. To me, it sounds way better, but not overly obnoxious.

If you can get one for $50, do it. It's a good mod.

I'm also using a Spectre flexible tube running down from my air box to suck in ram air. My SRT chin spoiler is on order and I will be attaching the tube to the brake duct for a force fed system.
What AFE filter are you guys using? I'm reading some stuff on people LOSING power (down low) with a K&N filter. I am considering either putting the OEM filter back in, or going with something else.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I use the AFE "ProDryS" filter. I haven't noticed any drop in torque, but I did the Solo catback and the airbox about the same time, and it was raining so I couldn't really get on it to be able to tell what the airbox and filter did. All I know is afterwards, it was a lot harder to launch the car without spinning the tires. It began spinning them at the top of first gear too if I managed to make a decent launch in the first place. My best 0-60 is 5.01, and it took a bunch of tries to get even close to that the last time I tried it. Best 1/4 mile is [email protected]. I have no complaints about how the car runs without any other mods.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I use the AFE "ProDryS" filter. I haven't noticed any drop in torque, but I did the Solo catback and the airbox about the same time, and it was raining so I couldn't really get on it to be able to tell what the airbox and filter did. All I know is afterwards, it was a lot harder to launch the car without spinning the tires. It began spinning them at the top of first gear too if I managed to make a decent launch in the first place. My best 0-60 is 5.01, and it took a bunch of tries to get even close to that the last time I tried it. Best 1/4 mile is [email protected]. I have no complaints about how the car runs without any other mods.
That's a pretty good time there. Yeah, I want the dry filter too, I'm sick of the oiling part of the K&N. What is the part # for your AFE filter? I'm assuming yours is an R/T like mine. Haven't been able to find the part # though.

Thanks!

·
Registered
896 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts