Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, So I'm pretty sure more than one person has done this before and I'm sure you guys can provide enough help to get it done. I want to swap my 5.7 and put a beastly 392 in my challenger. A friend of mine just wrecked his 392 charger and I'm planning on purchasing the engine.. and transmission ... is there anything else I might need to successfully do this swap? I'd like to know what problems have you guys encountered doing this swap and what can I do to make this a successful swap. Hope to hear from you guys soon! ???

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Get as much from his car as you can. These swaps are difficult. Can be done but it's not like the old days of swapping a carbureted motor. The computers are tied into so many things that there will be glitches to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 72/340

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat
1,669 Posts
Yes sir C26 is right.

PCM, wire harness, dash, engine/trans, all sensors, radiator....... pretty much empty the engine bay would be a safe bet.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
What year is your Challenger, and what tranny do you have?? What tranny are you getting with the 392

Pre '15 Challengers have a different floor pan, and the A8 will not physically fit it without some extreme modification.

Nothing is impossible, as long as your wallet is DEEP.

Reactions: John Matthews

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Guy this is a very easy swap if OP has a 09+ 5.7L just need motor and harness and SRT Mid pipes everything else is not needed. and someone to flash the PCM

·
Registered
122 Posts
modern muscle, can you elaborate more? I would like to do this as well. I have a 2012 RT 6sp

·
Registered
120 Posts
Easy way would be 6.4 Engine SRT mids and 5.7 intake flash pcm done.

We do this package for $9999.99 out the door
hmmm. I have a complete 392 intake, JBA long tubes with catted mid pipes - so, swap Mopar crate 392 into my 2013 R/T auto = flash in a 392 compatible tune - does not over write the fatory VIN or omit any emissions readiness values? Keep all my sensors/gauges etc, etc functional - only impacts actual running parameters? 5.7 car Fuel supply etc is adequate or equal to factory 392 cars?
All my 5.7 front accessories, pumps/pulleys will swap directly to crate motor? The car won't know I'm changing cubic inches - the parts/sensors etc will go to stock locations?
I can't see why not - but have to ask.....

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
There was a 20 page thread on here about a guy who did this on his own. Once you read through the entire thread it sort of presents a cliff hanger... then OST comes in and tells everyone that he ended up selling the car. Worst show finale ever!

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
120 Posts
There was a 20 page thread on here about a guy who did this on his own. Once you read through the entire thread it sort of presents a cliff hanger... then OST comes in and tells everyone that he ended up selling the car. Worst show finale ever!
YIKES!
I read many old threads, none were a backyard swap. It seems in 2011-2012 this was new ground, proven tuning was not available yet. It would seem things should have advanced after 2014, or once Diablo made tuning available for these years.....

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
hmmm. I have a complete 392 intake, JBA long tubes with catted mid pipes - so, swap Mopar crate 392 into my 2013 R/T auto = flash in a 392 compatible tune - does not over write the fatory VIN or omit any emissions readiness values? Keep all my sensors/gauges etc, etc functional - only impacts actual running parameters? 5.7 car Fuel supply etc is adequate or equal to factory 392 cars?
All my 5.7 front accessories, pumps/pulleys will swap directly to crate motor? The car won't know I'm changing cubic inches - the parts/sensors etc will go to stock locations?
I can't see why not - but have to ask.....

If we do the install we include everything needed, Except for Mid pipes. And yes everything will work just like it is from the factory,

·
Registered
680 Posts
Don't forget the brakes. All go with no slow is a recipe for disaster.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts