Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
So, I scored a crate 6.4 locally YEAH!!
Please look at the pics - will the harness and front pullys/mounting points - take up where my 5.7 accessories come out?
I'll send the PCM to get the 6.4 definition file flashed in
ModernMuscle - can you put together a 'swap package' for this crate into my 2013 Daytona??

It's a 2015 Challenger stick motor - so I'll turn off the MDS, but will the coil, fuel etc plug in just as my 5.7 is?
Or do I leave the harness on my car, and connect things at the engine? Will the SRV intake be triggered with the 6.4 parameters?
Click below to view motor vvvvv

6.4 hemi 392 crate engine brand new

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just a personal opinion here. Too much work and money for the return to swap in the new engine/trans.
Drop a supercharger on the 5.7. More power, better sound and a heck of a lot more fun! Just saying, carry on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just a personal opinion here. Too much work and money for the return to swap in the new engine/trans.
Drop a supercharger on the 5.7. More power, better sound and a heck of a lot more fun! Just saying, carry on.
fair opinon man!! boost would be cheaper, but I've lost too much money to unforeseen leaning causing engine failure - in a blink.
I just want a big motor in my Daytona.
I've had Procharged, turboed cars and have a twin screw Mercury Marauder now. Without a $10k prepped long block, boost level is quite limited.
And, won't boosting the 6.4 be even more fun? LOL!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Actually, wrong! I was going to go the supercharger/ procharger route. With the 5.7 SC'd, you'll be about where the 392 is stock. And you'll most likely spend more getting that done.
I picked up a complete, fresh, 392 for way less than a supercharger was going to cost me. From this point, the next step is forging it, then supercharging it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Everything will swap over and lines up. Flash the computer over and drop in a 6.4 fuel pump and you are good to go. However, I'm using a 6.1 intake for future plans to boost.
So, I scored a crate 6.4 locally YEAH!!
Please look at the pics - will the harness and front pullys/mounting points - take up where my 5.7 accessories come out?
I'll send the PCM to get the 6.4 definition file flashed in
ModernMuscle - can you put together a 'swap package' for this crate into my 2013 Daytona??

It's a 2015 Challenger stick motor - so I'll turn off the MDS, but will the coil, fuel etc plug in just as my 5.7 is?
Or do I leave the harness on my car, and connect things at the engine? Will the SRV intake be triggered with the 6.4 parameters?
Click below to view motor vvvvv

6.4 hemi 392 crate engine brand new

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
532 Posts
Actually, wrong! I was going to go the supercharger/ procharger route. With the 5.7 SC'd, you'll be about where the 392 is stock. And you'll most likely spend more getting that done.
I picked up a complete, fresh, 392 for way less than a supercharger was going to cost me. From this point, the next step is forging it, then supercharging it.
Hate to cause a fuss but no, you will not get to the same place. It is me you were quoting, that was before I was able to get my account back.
My SC is a low boost and stock engine below the intake. Forge the crank, rods and pistons, flow the heads, change the cam and bump the boost then 1K hp is easy to get too.

It all depends on what you want, it is all good! Please note, my numbers are at the rear wheels, not the published numbers from Dodge, those are crankshaft numbers, big difference.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hate to cause a fuss but no, you will not get to the same place. It is me you were quoting, that was before I was able to get my account back.
My SC is a low boost and stock engine below the intake. Forge the crank, rods and pistons, flow the heads, change the cam and bump the boost then 1K hp is easy to get too.

It all depends on what you want, it is all good! Please note, my numbers are at the rear wheels, not the published numbers from Dodge, those are crankshaft numbers, big difference.
yup, depends what you want and building skills
a motor swap is a breeze I'm reading, buying a roots or centri set up = ~$7k plus required upgrades, about same as $7k motor, plus install labor cost. I'd rather be n/a than boosted uless fully built from the block to fuel system.
great stuff!
If the crate motor has 485 at crank, long tube headers and a tune should get to 500, so maybe 425 at the wheels? I'll take that for an engine swap. I worry with boost, had bad luck!

>
Will the 2013 5.7 flexplate fit the 2015 6.4 crank/my 5.7 NAG1 combo?

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
532 Posts
Do as you wish! it is your car and your money. You will loose more like 100 hp between crank and wheels Wheel Horsepower to Crankshaft Horsepower Guestimator , I suspect that long tubes won't give that much but even granting that they do, you will be closer to 400 at the wheels. From what I have seen, problems with boost come about due to lack of a good dyno tune and reliance on canned or logged tunes. Any engine with pre ignition (knock) even a little or a lean condition, can kill an engine ASAP. I have had my SC for a little over a year and 10K miles, no issues and none expected.
The flip side is my SC can easily support to 1K HP, so now it is a matter of an engine build, less money than getting to where I am now for sure. Thing is though, with that kind of power, it requires the entire drive line to be built so, there is no free lunch.

·
Registered
121 Posts
yup - power cost's money, and more means more required supporting mods = snowball effect. Been through, many, many full builds.
I like 400 at the wheels n/a - and a torquey fun driver. For just an engine swap, and it's a new engine at that. Plus nobody will even know it's not a 'stock' 5.7 Daytona from outside. I like that. My roots car 'screams' I'm boosted! and one forced induction toy is enough.
Appreciate the input!
Hoping more data can be posted on this swap - just to go faster while under the wrench....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, So I'm pretty sure more than one person has done this before and I'm sure you guys can provide enough help to get it done. I want to swap my 5.7 and put a beastly 392 in my challenger. A friend of mine just wrecked his 392 charger and I'm planning on purchasing the engine.. and transmission ... is there anything else I might need to successfully do this swap? I'd like to know what problems have you guys encountered doing this swap and what can I do to make this a successful swap. Hope to hear from you guys soon! ???
Hey Bud!! Did this swap work? Just curious because I have a 2010 Ram Hemi 5.7 want to swap it to a 392 would it work ? What all do I need to do swap? Motor , tranny , PCM , ECT..I would really appreciate feedback thank you..

21 - 35 of 35 Posts