Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

Question?

I’m looking for information on swapping out my stock intake tube/ silencer to a intake tube WITHOUT the silencer

This is regarding a Dodge Challenger RT 2015 5.7L

The reason why I thinking on purchasing a new intake tube without the silencer, is to install the Oil catch can for more room.

Would this effect warranty?

Here is the product on ebay

As well, looking into installing a headlamp intake onto the Airbox filter.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
788 Posts
No it will not affect warranty.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Hello All,

Question?

I’m looking for information on swapping out my stock intake tube/ silencer to a intake tube WITHOUT the silencer

This is regarding a Dodge Challenger RT 2015 5.7L

The reason why I thinking on purchasing a new intake tube without the silencer, is to install the Oil catch can for more room.

Would this effect warranty?

Here is the product on ebay

As well, looking into installing a headlamp intake onto the Airbox filter.

Thanks!!
how is that one different from yours?

yours should already look like that unless I'm missing something here...

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
I have attach an image, This is the current one I have. Stock
Wow, I have not seen one of those...yes, I would get rid of that thing and install one without the muffler for sure. There should be no warranty claim denials stemming from that part swap.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Im also doing this swap for the same reason.but believe it or not that silencer does serve a purpose can’t recall what it was I read an article on it.i wonder why dodge only put it on certain vehicles

·
Super Moderator
12,495 Posts
Big grain of salt, lol

A Guy

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I have a 2015 I bought it new and yes I put one of those tubes on my car. I would look at possibly buying it from Steve whites and using their promo code see if it's any cheaper than that one

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Big grain of salt, lol

A Guy
I know your heart's in the right place @A Guy, but the hemlock hootus molded onto the intake tube in question does not, will not, cannot do what that article describes.

For those who are just tuning in to this age-old argue,ent, the naturally aspirated super charging effect theft article above talks about is indeed a thing, and it's even a thing dodge has attempted to harness both in the past (with the dual runner intake design on the venerable, if anemic, 3.5L) and even still today (with a similarly actuated dual runner intake setup on the 6.xL Hemis).

Unfortunately, any beneficial affects it might have added to the 3.5L were overshadowed by the infamous P1004 problem. Luckily the Hemi setup doesn't suffer from the same eventual problem, and the whole setup will net more HP/TQ for the Hemi as a result.

But that ain't this.

That was all about incoming air charge and the harmonics of its pressure waves being optimized at both ends of the RPM scale to maximize output of TQ at low RPM and HP at high RPM. (Normally a choice between the two has to be made at design time; can't have both.)

This is all about sound waves. The growl of an engine at WOT can be quite jarring if it's not expected or desired. Air-go, pun intended, muffling those sound waves trying to escape back out the engine, without affecting incoming airflow, is the goal.

And to be fair, these Lou Holtz intake mufflers are a brilliant design. I don’t want to take anything away from the folks responsible for coming up with them. But they are truly like a modern performance muffler - they won’t add performance, but they can facilitate it by doing their job (mitigating the war cry of a Hemi at WOT) in such a fashion so as to not impede the physical waves of air passing through.

Besides, if these Heisenberg Shindigs actually added any HP/TQ over what the standard intake provides, wouldn’t they be on the list of perf mods everyone performs first?

At no point have I ever seen a response to the recurring thread asking “what can I do to add some HP to my new R/T?” that included the pregnant dolphin intake tube along with the CAI, headers, tune, etc. that always gets replied.

·
Super Moderator
12,495 Posts
Was replying to the mention of it in the post above mine, lol. But nice post :D

A Guy

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Was replying to the mention of it in the post above mine, lol. But nice post :D

A Guy
Fine!
You win!
I yield!!
uncle!!

Why do you always wait until I’m too drunk to think straight before you start tossing potato mashers???

You might as well save those potatoes and make some nachos out of them !!

Nuke, OUT!

BTW-is it Wed or Thurs?
If thought it was We’d, but if it’s thurs I’m helli-late, gonna have to make like a prom dress and skidaddle!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know your heart's in the right place @A Guy, but the hemlock hootus molded onto the intake tube in question does not, will not, cannot do what that article describes.

For those who are just tuning in to this age-old argue,ent, the naturally aspirated super charging effect theft article above talks about is indeed a thing, and it's even a thing dodge has attempted to harness both in the past (with the dual runner intake design on the venerable, if anemic, 3.5L) and even still today (with a similarly actuated dual runner intake setup on the 6.xL Hemis).

Unfortunately, any beneficial affects it might have added to the 3.5L were overshadowed by the infamous P1004 problem. Luckily the Hemi setup doesn't suffer from the same eventual problem, and the whole setup will net more HP/TQ for the Hemi as a result.

But that ain't this.

That was all about incoming air charge and the harmonics of its pressure waves being optimized at both ends of the RPM scale to maximize output of TQ at low RPM and HP at high RPM. (Normally a choice between the two has to be made at design time; can't have both.)

This is all about sound waves. The growl of an engine at WOT can be quite jarring if it's not expected or desired. Air-go, pun intended, muffling those sound waves trying to escape back out the engine, without affecting incoming airflow, is the goal.

And to be fair, these Lou Holtz intake mufflers are a brilliant design. I don’t want to take anything away from the folks responsible for coming up with them. But they are truly like a modern performance muffler - they won’t add performance, but they can facilitate it by doing their job (mitigating the war cry of a Hemi at WOT) in such a fashion so as to not impede the physical waves of air passing through.

Besides, if these Heisenberg Shindigs actually added any HP/TQ over what the standard intake provides, wouldn’t they be on the list of perf mods everyone performs first?

At no point have I ever seen a response to the recurring thread asking “what can I do to add some HP to my new R/T?” that included the pregnant dolphin intake tube along with the CAI, headers, tune, etc. that always gets replied.
Thank you for the info! Ill keep that in mind. All I wanted is room for the Oil Catch can to be installed. Just wanted to be sure on the intake tube. The factory tube was in the way to install Oil catch can, the Resonator part.

I purchased the intake tube w/o Resonator. Thanks all!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello All,

Outcome of installation...

Challenger RT 2015

I installed the Intake tube, it came with a Temperature sensor, i plug Temperature sensor back in. The check engine light came up. What should do on this point? Should I drive the vehicle to see if it disappears?

As well, I have other images of a airbox with a headlight intake I installed. NEW. Though after installation, the top instake cover and tube is touching the coolant reservoir. I don't think this is OK.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,495 Posts
I take it new sensor on intake tube? Could be bad if was plugged in when started engine. Same sensor as original? I'd swap in original if CEL doesn't go out after a normal driving cycle.

The air box you should be able to loosen and finagle to get some clearance. They fit pretty tight, but I wouldn't want mine touching/rubbing. A little persuasion and I suspect you can lock it down with some clearance.

A Guy

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
There will be one or more DTCs associated with that CEL which are stored in the car's computer and can be read/retrieved with an ODBII scanner. You need to obtain them to know what the computer thinks is wrong, then the steps to resolution can be decided upon.

if you do not have a scanner, take the car to a local auto parts store like AutoZone or O'Reilly Auto and have them retrieve the codes for you. They will do it for free.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
When I was checking my oil catch can one time I forgot to plug in the air intake sensor. The check engine light came on so I shut the car off. I then open the hood and noticed it was unplugged and plugged it back in. When I restarted the car the check engine light was out. I don't know if in the case of a bad sensor but I did deliberatly unplug it started the car and check the intake air temperature the check engine light came on and it said the air intake temperature was -40 degrees. If your sensors bad it may say something similar

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, I swap the new intake tube with my Stock one. Check engine light is gone. It might be the new sensor that came with the new intake tube causing the problem. Before, swapping sensors, let me check the new sensor model number if I can find it, see if compatible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
7 Participants
Gopher Baroque
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing