Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts
Honestly it seems odd they would include a new sensor with the intake tube, i wouldn't think its quality would be as good as the OE one. If the light goes off with the original one, go with it.

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts
When I was checking my oil catch can one time I forgot to plug in the air intake sensor. The check engine light came on so I shut the car off. I then open the hood and noticed it was unplugged and plugged it back in. When I restarted the car the check engine light was out. I don't know if in the case of a bad sensor but I did deliberatly unplug it started the car and check the intake air temperature the check engine light came on and it said the air intake temperature was -40 degrees. If your sensors bad it may say something similar

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I’ll do you one better: I pulled the IAT sensor out of the intake tube one day to empty the CC, and I left it plugged into the wiring harness, just laying it aside onto the intake plenum.

Fast forward a couple hours and I was taking a trip into Dallas, and I noticed it was running weird. Not bad, just weird...as if the computer wasn’t firing the injectors long enough or too long.

After I got back there the house and popped the hood, can you guess what I found? Yep, the IAT sensor still laying on the manifold, plugged in, but definitely not inserted into the intake tube.

D’OH!!

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
With complements to Nuke,
And to be fair, these Lou Holtz intake mufflers are a brilliant design. I don’t want to take anything away from the folks responsible for coming up with them. But they are truly like a modern performance muffler - they won’t add performance, but they can facilitate it by doing their job (mitigating the war cry of a Hemi at WOT) in such a fashion so as to not impede the physical waves of air passing through.
I've been through the youthful enthusiasm to change parts, essentially for it's own sake...and learned enough about restoration to appreciate the elegance frequently hidden in OEM design, that is hard to really improve. The best watchword is to clarify just what one expects to be better by the proposed change, hopefully with a certain amount of background research to avoid unintended consequences. I would say the OP has done this by identifying the need for space to add a catch can and making the effort to confirm acoustics is the driver for the muffler design, not airflow.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
7 Participants
Gopher Baroque
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing