Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

As you can see from my signature, my SRT has a cat-back and high-flow catted mids. The only part of my intake and exhaust that is still stock are my headers. Getting the mod bug again, so I was wondering - is there a tangible advantage to going with aftermarket shorties? I don't intend to add a screw, just I'm looking for an extra fifteen or so ponies and a more aggressive sound. So if aftermarkets would suit my criteria, would you be so kind as to recommend a brand? Not all header manufacturers seem to make shorties, most seem to put out longtubes. I don't want to go catless, so I'm looking for something that will bolt up to the existing mids in my ride.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I think our SRT exhaust manifolds are decent as is. Pretty much shorties already so doubt you'll gain much going after market. Probably need a tune with new shorties and I believe the tune does most of H.P. gains shown on a dyno. I have doubts just the new shorties will get you 15HP without a tune and tune alone is good for 12 of those H.P numbers.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Don't do it, the 392 factory shorties are good, if you are going to do headers do long tubes.

Reactions: RobF

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I already have a Diablo tune installed that was customized for my mods by Sean at Hemi Fever. He said he would retune for headers for a hundred bucks, so that's not a real issue. I was more interested in seeing if the expense and PITA of installing headers would be worth it, but from both of your comments I can see it probably isn't. My real problem is that the bug is still burning in me, and I've pretty much already done all of the easy bolt ons. Don't know where to turn to feed the monkey! ��

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Talk to Jay Greene about a can. Look for Jay Greene Racing on FB. Added 38 hp on my RT

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
If you're going to bother with headers I would go with longtubes or forget it and just leave what you have on there now. The stock shorty headers are actually pretty good. You may pick up around 15rwhp with the longtubes after tuning, but it's not a cheap ordeal. Most longtube headers are $1200-1500 for our cars, then you need different mid-pipes, and then if you don't do the PITA install yourself you have to pay for labor at a shop on top of all that. Might cost you $2K when all is said and done and pick up 15rwhp.

If you're big into drag racing and looking to get every tenth out of it, that might be worth it. For a cruiser on the streets that you just step into for fun, not sure that would really be worth it. Depends.

·
Super Moderator
16,204 Posts
The bang for your buck is cam swap - the stock SRT exhaust system is pretty good and for the $$ spent for a fraction of forced induction and have the same maintenance as a stock engine going forward.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,841 Posts
The bang for your buck is cam swap - the stock SRT exhaust system is pretty good and for the $$ spent for a fraction of forced induction and have the same maintenance as a stock engine going forward.
If you do the cam swap yourself then I would agree it is a fraction of the cost of forced induction. I did an $/HP comparison on mods (assuming no labor cost) which I can't find at the moment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm doing bbk Shorty's. Had them ported at my machine shop. I want to race all the guys that say Shorty's don't make any power. Lol

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack Charger [email protected]
195 Posts
I will stick with factory headers and run the guy with the shorties.

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
If you're going to bother with headers I would go with longtubes or forget it and just leave what you have on there now.
If you're big into drag racing and looking to get every tenth out of it, that might be worth it. For a cruiser on the streets that you just step into for fun, not sure that would really be worth it. Depends.
If you decide to go with long tube headers, make sure that you get the ceramic coated ones.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Isn't a cam only going to net 40hp and cost $5k to have a shop install and tune?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wonder if a ceramic coated pair of shortie headers say 1 7/8" primaries would be worth it for the under hood temperature savings. I don't know the stock headers primary tube dia. but if you intend to use a power adder later they might be worth it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts