Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys.

Thinking of upgrading the sway bars on my 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392. Would you guys go for the front and rear Hotchkis kit or purchase the Hellcat bars? I know the Hellcat bars are solid whereas the Hotchkis are tubular, so I assume there's a small weight penalty going with the HC's, but would the beefier Hellcat bars provide an advantage?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Hi Rob, one of the first things I did was upgrade the sway bars. Pettys Garage front and back. 3 way adjustable. Put the rear on the stiffest and the front on the middle settings. You’ll notice a huge difference. Our cars came with a ridiculous small bars from the factory. I cut about 2 seconds off my previous best lap time at the streets of willow just by doing the upgrades. Don’t forget to use challengertalk17 for 10% discount they offer us.

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
I had the Hotchkis (front & rear) sway bars on my '09 R/T
front 38mm / rear 19mm [stock was 30mm / 16mm on R/T & SRT Challengers]

My '16 SPS has a similar setup as what your '12 SRT has - the Hotchkis will have more roll stiffness.
-so if you want a tighter anti-roll I'd go with the Hotchkis. Ride is still very comfortable with Hotchkis.

I'd say my '16 SPS feels similar to the modded '09 R/T with the Eibach Sportlines & Hotchkis - the SPS has more compliance on compression, so the OEM SPS setup is firm, but a bit more comfort...

Use graphite moly grease - the front poly bushings lube are prone to drying out with the supplied grease - they'll squeak when its cold. The graphite moly resolved that.

IIRC, the later years Challengers upsized some of the sway bar sizes. I believe the rear bar was larger on a number of applications.

Reactions: RobF

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wasp and Hal -

Do either of you have experience with the Mopar kit? Or should I really just focus on either the Petty or Hotchkis?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
Wasp and Hal -

Do either of you have experience with the Mopar kit? Or should I really just focus on either the Petty or Hotchkis?

Thanks,

Rob
A friend of mine has the Mopar Stage II coil overs and Mopar sway bars - I've driven his and find the Hotchkis setup was firmer for roll stiffness

Reactions: RobF

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A friend of mine has the Mopar Stage II coil overs and Mopar sway bars - I've driven his and find the Hotchkis setup was firmer for roll stiffness
Thanks, buddy. ;)

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Wasp and Hal -

Thanks,

Rob

I did coilovers later. But not mopar. You can really feel the difference in just the sway bar upgrade. Our SRTs came with 26/16mm bars if I remember correctly. Pettys are 35/22mm. The beauty of it is it’s 3 way adjustable which you can actually feel the difference in each setting. You wanna go a step further, get the subframe connectors as well from Pettys.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I did coilovers later. But not mopar. You can really feel the difference in just the sway bar upgrade. Our SRTs came with 26/16mm bars if I remember correctly. Pettys are 35/22mm. The beauty of it is it’s 3 way adjustable which you can actually feel the difference in each setting. You wanna go a step further, get the subframe connectors as well from Pettys.
How do you like the subframe connectors? Any noticeable improvement?

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
IIRC, the later Mopar rear bars are 22mm from '11+

the Hotchkis for the '09/'10 rear was 19mm (up from the OEM 16mm) - look like they still use the same 38mm / 19mm setup as I had.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I think you will get further just changing your bushings to poly bushings (i bought from hotckis locally $5 per bushing and $5 for the new mounts) and buying adjustable end links. After market sway bars arent that much bigger than the stock, but having adjustable links will let you set it up stiffer, or if you are lowered too

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Hi Rob, one of the first things I did was upgrade the sway bars. Pettys Garage front and back. 3 way adjustable. Put the rear on the stiffest and the front on the middle settings. You’ll notice a huge difference. Our cars came with a ridiculous small bars from the factory. I cut about 2 seconds off my previous best lap time at the streets of willow just by doing the upgrades. Don’t forget to use challengertalk17 for 10% discount they offer us.
I recently had the Petty's sway bars installed with middle settings. Now I want to set the rear to it's stiffest setting but the shop who did the install threw out the instructions. Which hole is for stiffest setting on the rear?

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
I recently had the Petty's sway bars installed with middle settings. Now I want to set the rear to it's stiffest setting but the shop who did the install threw out the instructions. Which hole is for stiffest setting on the rear?
It would probably be the hole that is toward the main section of the bar. It would shorten the operating length of when it would counteract body roll.

The softer setting would be the outer end hole.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,644 Posts
The farther in towards the bar, the stiffer it is. A Guy

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
How do you like the subframe connectors? Any noticeable improvement?
When i put my subframe bars on, it notice a pretty big improvement on turn in and lessened the body roll a great amount. Then i put a fromt strut brace and it only got better from there

·
Registered
145 Posts
My 2018 T/A with the Performance Handling Group has 34mm front and 20mm rear swaybars.

On my 09 R/T it came with a 30mm front and 16mm rear swaybar later I installed the
Charger Police Pursuit 20mm rear swaybar since it was the cheap alternative.

·
Registered
414 Posts
your car has 30mm/20mm solid bars. I would just follow trippytro's advice and replace the end links and bushings. I haven't changed my sway bars but I added MOPAR strut braces front/rear and it completely changed the handling dynamics of the vehicle. I would go that route before changing out your sway bar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts