Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where should you start? Is there any point to adding strut braces without installing sway bars first? And which will show the most improvement by itself?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Where should you start? Is there any point to adding strut braces without installing sway bars first? And which will show the most improvement by itself?
Well, since you already have sway bars, go with the strut brace.

·
Super Moderator
15,975 Posts
Sway bars will yield the biggest change - the SE has the softest (smaller diameter) rate swaybars of the 3 trim levels (R/T and SRT use the same bars, except the STP optioned R/T, which get a larger rear bar over the SRT8).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well, I added the Mopar sway bars and later added the strut tower brace.All I can say is the sway bars made the biggest difference in handling.
The mopar sway bars made a huge difference in the amount the car leans going into,during and out of a turn.It makes the car feel "lighter" if you will...
The strut tower brace tightened up the already very flat cornering I had just achieved with the sway bars.Im saving up and waiting for a better rear brace design than whats out now.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Has anyone upgraded to an RT or SRT sway bars on their SE?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Depends on what you're wanting to achieve.

If you're just doing street driving, sway bars only. If you're wanting HPDE type driving (even at street level), you will want both. Start with the sways and add the strut. Note there are two strut bars you can add to the car. Generally you will add the front strut bar but there is also a rear strut bar that will eliminate some of your trunk room and shore up the rear more. Add it last of the three bars.

Then, if you really wana get more feel out of the car -- replace your springs and shocks. :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have KW Variant 1 coilovers on my car... My buddy's '06 SRT8 Charger has the works, as he's REALLY into roadcourses.

Going off of what he's done, I suggest the following:

1. Coilovers (adjustable dampening and height). Don't lower car too much as you need some wheel travel for optimum handling.
2. Sway bars
3. Front and rear STB's
4. Negative camber 1.5 or so
5. Subframe connectors just to tighten everything up.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
How do you dial in negative camber into the front suspension of an SRT8? I was thinking of doing this before Challengerfest II to try and improve my times on the closed course track..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, I added the Mopar sway bars and later added the strut tower brace.All I can say is the sway bars made the biggest difference in handling.
The mopar sway bars made a huge difference in the amount the car leans going into,during and out of a turn.It makes the car feel "lighter" if you will...
The strut tower brace tightened up the already very flat cornering I had just achieved with the sway bars.Im saving up and waiting for a better rear brace design than whats out now.
I have the same suspension mods that you have. I didn't notice any difference per se with the front and rear strut bars. As soon as I installed the sway bars, and everything worked together as a system, I was pleasantly surprised!

·
Registered
171 Posts
The best combination, is obviously going to be swaybars AND strut tower braces together. But done separately, they can each get you better results.

I think what the guys above are saying, is very valid. Determine what goals you wish to achieve from the suspension FIRST, and build towards that goal.

We sell MULTIPLE brands of swaybars AND strut tower braces at SpeedLogix. I'd be honored to help answer your questions, and speak with you directly, to help you make the best decisions possible for your sled.

But tightening up the handling, is a very rewarding modification, and instant gratification!! :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would like some info on the sway bar if you can contact through pm I would happy to place future orders with you

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
If you decide to get sway bars go to takeoffparts.com and you can get SRT sway bars, front and rear with bushings for your SE for $125 shipped. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If you decide to get sway bars go to takeoffparts.com and you can get SRT sway bars, front and rear with bushings for your SE for $125 shipped. Can't beat that.
I thought about that route too. How much better are the Mopar ones over the stock SRT ones. I see the Mopar ones are a bigger diameter (and more expensive). Does it really improve that much? I'm thinking the SRT sway bars and a mopar strut brace would be just fine?

·
Registered
416 Posts
After market sways are superior to the SRT or Mopar ones... at least as of a few years ago. Look at products like Hotchkis...

SRT folks place aftermarket sways on their cars... and yes, diameter is important. You would also want to look into good tires... Vredestein's are good all around performers while Nitto NT05's seem to be the best for our cars, for 3 season performance as their utog (treadwear) is like 180 (pretty darn sticky). Vredestein's utog is 220 I believe, fairly sticky for a "regular" 3 season tire.

Get with SRTLUVR and he'll do you right.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Will the Hotchkis fit on an SE? The only options are for an RT or SRT.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Will the Hotchkis fit on an SE? The only options are for an RT or SRT.
Don't know... sorry. But seriously, PM/call SRTLUVR... he's got a solid reputation. He'll set you up right.

Also, seeing how you want better handling from your car (and not simple straight line performance): tires for our overweight Mopars, one of the most important things is sidewall thickness. This prevents the tire from "rolling" when cornering. The vredesteins, for example, were designed for sport SUV's (read: heavy performance vehicle) and have extra thick rubber on the sidewall to prevent the roll effect.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Thanks OMOM!

I'm still learning and figuring out my car the more I drive it. I figure after I do my taxes, I will a lil extra for a "performance" mod. Most of the mods have been the easy cosmetic ones so far. So just doing my research!

:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts