Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the way the factory shifter and clutch feels. I am thinking of upgrading just the knob to something old school.

Will a new one just screw on? I am thinking of an 8 ball knob.

·
Registered
174 Posts
On a manual trans Challenger, only the Pistol Grip feels right to me, and I don't mean the current factory handle. Back in the day, my Charger and 'Cuda both had the four speeds topped by the Hurst Pistol Grip, and the years haven't dimmed my memory of how good that shifter felt.

·
Registered
726 Posts
It does not simply unscrew. The arm comes as a single piece unit. Check a YouTube installation video and see what I mean.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
...go to Mr. Norms...order the "Pistol Grip" shifter...it is exactly like the 1970 version, feels perfect...best there is...have one on my 09 SRT, best mod ever

·
Registered
464 Posts
I couldn't find one I really liked, but had some time so I made one myself. Posted this before but there are alot of new people on here. Zebra wood, 1/2" diameter steel rod bent to the right shape, drilled 2 holes to rivet the wood onto it, ground a flat in the bottom to attach to shifter, drilled two holes for the bolts.

Since then I added an aluminum plate under the wood to hold the boot to the shifter. My hand fits it like it was made from a mold.

·
Registered
464 Posts
R/T Classic ...you have talent. Very nice work.
A few hours with a dremel tool, a few mugs from the keg-o-rator, a few more hours with the thumbs and sand paper in front of the TV in the garage. One more hour with the metal that I really like to work with. Some clear poly on the wood and your done....

I really suggest that people give it a try, if you have a "Woodcraft" or some other type of store around you the wood in a small piece like this is cheap. Lowes for the 1/2" metal rod. Some hand tools, and of course the Dremel. Carve till it feels like it fits but a little large, as you sand it down it will fit better. If not grind some more. You really don't need those finger prints anyway, besides, when your done you won't have any. But your signifigant other will love how soft your finger are!

·
Registered
41 Posts
How long of a rod did you wind up using to get the right height? Also, what size drill and tap did you use for the two lower mounting bolts? The reason I ask is because I'm in the middle of doing the same thing but I'm using a billet hurst pistol grip instead of wood. I will say this that's some great work on your grip-I lack the patience.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'll check first thing in the morning and let you know. It's been a while...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks- I'm planning on working on mine tomorrow, I've got three different sticks made up and ready to try( 6,7, and 8 inch tall). Car's been in body shop ($2600 raccoon)so I haven't been able to work on it, got it back today. I'm ready to get that factory grip out and shorten it a little while I'm at it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It is the same length as the stock shifter. I just put the bends into it so that my wrist was at a more comfortable angle. I just drilled and tapped the handle for the original bolts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Broke the tap on the first hole!!! I guess I'll have to wait and get a higher quality tap and try again next weekend. By the way I am pretty sure the factory bolts are 8mm with .125 threads in case anybody else needs to know.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
This is how I row!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,794 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i was going to get the Mopar 10 gunslinger with my mopar bucks, but found out it was like $700ish....

the problem with the gunslinger is it makes your throws longer.

i dont like the mini mopar shifter....it just looks goofy....

id be happy with the stock shifter...its not perfect looking, but works

1 - 20 of 35 Posts