Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always heard that once you start useing one brand of oil in a car you should always use that brand in that engine. My problem is that I had Mobile one synthetic oil put in last time and now my dealer no longer stocks that and so I went down to Advanced auto and bought 7 quarts of the mobile one and took to the dealer. Is this really needed or would it be OK for them to use the Pensoil Synthetic they now stock. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I've always heard that once you start useing one brand of oil in a car you should always use that brand in that engine. My problem is that I had Mobile one synthetic oil put in last time and now my dealer no longer stocks that and so I went down to Advanced auto and bought 7 quarts of the mobile one and took to the dealer. Is this really needed or would it be OK for them to use the Pensoil Synthetic they now stock. Thanks for any help.
It ceases to amaze me the things I read on this site. Where did you ever hear that one??? In fact, not only does the brand not matter, but you can also switch back and forth between synthetic, synthetic-blend and conventional as often as you wish...provided your engine does not require full synthetic at all times. And if this is the case as in the SRT8...you can still switch brands at will. Hope this helps, and stop listening to whom ever told you that. It is not true these days if ever at all. The weight of the oil should follow manufacturers specs at all times however.:)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
more info

Here is an excerpt from my SRT manual, every owner should read his or her owner's manual from cover to cover...no exceptions.

Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends full synthetic engine oils that meet the
American Petroleum Institute (API) categories of SM or
SM/CF, and meet the requirements of Chrysler Material
Standard MS-10725.
The manufacturer recommends the use of a full synthetic
engine oil, such as Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40 or equivalent.
Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade)
SAE 0W-40 engine oil is preferred for use in 6.1L engines
within the operating temperatures shown in the engine
oil viscosity chart. SAE 5W-40 engine oil is also allowed
for use in 6.1L engines.

I think Penzoil if fine but I'm sure you will find people on this site who will tell you they don't like certain brands, that is your choice, bottom line is still the same, you can switch brands. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quit working on cars in 1979 and that was what was the norm. back then. I have a 5.7 and don't require synthetic but I had to use it in my 06 SS and my challenger should get as good of stuff as it got or is synthetic not better than conventional now too. I'm not asking if it's worth the extra money but is it better.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quit working on cars in 1979 and that was what was the norm. back then. I have a 5.7 and don't require synthetic but I had to use it in my 06 SS and my challenger should get as good of stuff as it got or is synthetic not better than conventional now too. I'm not asking if it's worth the extra money but is it better.
Synthetic has certain advantages over conventional as far as resisting viscosity breakdown during exposure to high temperatures. However, many people still change their oil WAY to often. And if you are that type of person, you are not really taking advantage of the synthetic oil and should use conventional, saving you some cash. If you are interested in learning about pros and cons of both do a simple Google search. It is very interesting stuff if you don't mind putting some research time into it. I basically skimmed the surface with my comments.
Good luck with your choices and enjoy that ride!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
I would recommend against switching back and forth between synthetic and conventional oil, pick one and use it. The poly-strings are different between synthetic and conventional oil and you may get yourself into trouble with leaky seals ect... if you bounce back and forth between types. This is usualy true in high mileage engines running conventional oil then switching over to a synthetic, JMHO...

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Does anyone other than Mobile 1 make a 0W oil?
0W other than Mobil 1 is hard to find. A very, very nice alternative to Mobil 1 is Royale Purple 0W-40.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Royal Purple is fantastic, I'm debating on making the dealer put that in instead of the Mobile 1 (though I'm sure both are fantastic).

I'd go full synth if you race your car a lot or have a SRT, just simply due to the high rpms etc you want the best of the best protecting your performance engine, otherwise a blends on a 5.7l hemi would be fine

·
Registered
619 Posts
It ceases to amaze me the things I read on this site. Where did you ever hear that one??? In fact, not only does the brand not matter, but you can also switch back and forth between synthetic, synthetic-blend and conventional as often as you wish...provided your engine does not require full synthetic at all times. And if this is the case as in the SRT8...you can still switch brands at will. Hope this helps, and stop listening to whom ever told you that. It is not true these days if ever at all. The weight of the oil should follow manufacturers specs at all times however.:)
The service writer at Orange Coast Dodge in Costa Mesa told me that I was not allowing the rings to seat in because I was Changing the Mobil 1 @ 3000 miles.

Can you believe that? I said, "Gee, I guess then your SRT-8's, Cadillac's, Corvetts, rings will never seat in because they come from the factory with it." "you better call them".

He looked at me and then I said, "Kid, you really should learn basic auto mechanics before you quote such ridiculous statements". I left the dealership laughing.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
RP is over priced food coloring.

Penzoil Platinum is an excellent oil (I've tested it lots and have analysis to back it up) and is reasonably priced at Wally World.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
RP is over priced food coloring.
Do you have any proof of that? Members on the FJ forums loved it because even after 12k they analyzed it and it still was good for another 3k, still purplish as well and had plenty of additives left). I've always heard great things about RP on Hemi's, some people say it stops their hemi lifter noise etc, I think if someone owns a plum crazy they should use it by default :D not to mention RP is a pretty nice company that supports the community. Personally I have no doubt about how good of an oil RP is, but yeah..it is a lot more expensive, about 2-3 bucks more, but then again, your car was how much? All depends on how you drive, I think everyone would be fine with M-1, but I do think RPs oil backs up the cost from the tests I've seen, they are right behind "Red Line" or on par (Red Line is even harder to find)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
You know what the funny thing is, I can't ever remember getting rid of a car because of engine failure. With all this talk of oil it makes me think we are all getting a little carried away. I've sold cars or junked them, for just about every other reason. Whether it be because of frame damage, accident, trans failure, rear end failure, boredom etc., it has never been because of the oil I put in the motor. I too believe the Royal Purple and Red line products are overkill for these engines for the majority of us. Now if I was racing or had some type of specific application, ok then, I might want something specific, but for most of us, it is never going to make a difference. Even if we develop engine problems, it will most likely be from abuse or a defective part during assembly. If people really need to spend their hard earned dollars on something... I will be happy to post an address so everyone can send money to me and folks like Speedy for all our great advice. LOL:)

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Guys, I don't want to be "cruel", but the "oil brand thing" is successful marketing at its' best.

I've worked with many automotive Tier Ones, and auto manufacturers over the years, and "motor oil is motor oil"

As long as the oil is the recommended weight and the correct SAE, your engine will live a long healthy life.

Auto companies go out for bids, and buy in mass quantities. All brands will "mix" with each other without problems.

Yes, each brand has it's own additives, so how an oil "acts" in your engine may vary from brand to brand, so favorites are picked.

I've used most brand out there over the years, and yes, I have my "favorites", but that can change from car to car.

Right now, my Challenger 5.7 is using the MOPAR oil. At 1500 miles, she's still at the top of the "full" mark.........and I have run it hard.

Synthetics have their own characteristics, mostly extended usefull life. However, you have to change per the mfg's recommendations to keep the warranty valid.

Oil analysis is fine, but save your money. They will always show wear particles, and yes they will show that certain additives are still present at some level, but the cost of analysis is the cost of an oil change.

Run what you like, but remember that a TON of money goes into the marketing of the product.

Just my 40+ years of "what oil is the best" experiences.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts