Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey got a question for you all. Currently my factory seats are deteriorating quickly. I have a piece of metal wire poking through and the sides of the seat are torn so badly that you can see the foam inside. So I am thinking for the time being I would throw a Jegs seat in there until I can save up for some Katzkins. So my question is. On a 2015 Challenger the front seat has an airbag. A) what would happen if I replace the seat (air bag light) and B) would you guys recommend against this and just stay with the seats.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The airbag light would stay on and worse if you are involved in a accident and people got hurt the Insurance Company will void your insurance. for disabling a safety device!

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
First off, this should NOT be happening on a 2015 Challenger.

Is it still under warranty? There is NO way 3 year old seats should be deteriorating so quickly. It sounds like you need both the cushions and covers replaced.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
Well I use my personal car for work and I work security so I get in and out of the car a lot
I guess that makes sense. Sad to hear that they've worn out. Funny thing about Challenger seats. My Dodge minivan's had a rough life: lots of miles, and lots of getting in and out. But that grey cloth is TOUGH. It would be nice if Dodge would make all their seats tough like that. For example, my steering wheel is leather wrapped. I've never had any luck with them: leather just doesn't hold up like plastic. My minivan steering wheel still looks like new after 14 years. Wish I didn't have a leather wrapped Challenger wheel. I've got it covered with a cheap cloth wheel cover. Looks funky, but at least i won't wear out the factory wheel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I use my personal car for work and I work security so I get in and out of the car a lot
I guess that makes sense. Sad to hear that they've worn out. Funny thing about Challenger seats. My Dodge minivan's had a rough life: lots of miles, and lots of getting in and out. But that grey cloth is TOUGH. It would be nice if Dodge would make all their seats tough like that. For example, my steering wheel is leather wrapped. I've never had any luck with them: leather just doesn't hold up like plastic. My minivan steering wheel still looks like new after 14 years. Wish I didn't have a leather wrapped Challenger wheel. I've got it covered with a cheap cloth wheel cover. Looks funky, but at least i won't wear out the factory wheel.

I agree. I should have gone with the leather seats. Hindsight is 20/20 as they always say. But I haven’t had any issues with steering wheel yet but I can see signs of the leather drying out. I also agree that a plastic option would have been a better option for the steering wheel especially since it probably sees more abuse than the seats.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I agree. I should have gone with the leather seats. Hindsight is 20/20 as they always say. But I haven’t had any issues with steering wheel yet but I can see signs of the leather drying out. I also agree that a plastic option would have been a better option for the steering wheel especially since it probably sees more abuse than the seats.
I've had cars with both leather seats and steering wheels before. The wheel looked like *&^%* long before the seat.

·
Super Moderator
14,213 Posts
I've had cars with both leather seats and steering wheels before. The wheel looked like *&^%* long before the seat.

I agree. I had a 1997 Ford Thunderbird that I kept for 20 years as a beater car. The fabric seats were in excellent shape, but the leather on the steering wheel was peeling off. I had to install a steering wheel cover.

·
Premium Member
2014 rt shaker
750 Posts
It’s funny, one of the biggest knocks against dodge 15years ago was for the cheap feeling plastic interior.
Everyone wanted a nicer looking and feeling interior, and after they put leather in everywhere we are complaining about not enough plastic!!!

For what it’s worth, I’ve had great luck with the durability of leather on my seats and steering wheels. I do take some care with how I handle them and the products I use to clean and maintain them. Plastic surfaces are a bit easier to clean, but it’s not that big of a difference once you get used to the leather products.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
It’s funny, one of the biggest knocks against dodge 15years ago was for the cheap feeling plastic interior.
Everyone wanted a nicer looking and feeling interior, and after they put leather in everywhere we are complaining about not enough plastic!!!

For what it’s worth, I’ve had great luck with the durability of leather on my seats and steering wheels. I do take some care with how I handle them and the products I use to clean and maintain them. Plastic surfaces are a bit easier to clean, but it’s not that big of a difference once you get used to the leather products.
YEAH, I hear ya. Our family has owned Caravans since '87. That's all the experience I've had with Dodge. I've been impressed with how well the plastics have held up. I can't say that for the plastics in my Toyotas. A couple of my Fords had leather steering wheels. Yuck. They were awful before they reached 50k miles.

So, you've had good luck with your leather steering wheels. My Leather steering wheel in my SRT is in perfect condition. If you were me, what products would you use to keep it that way?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hey got a question for you all. Currently my factory seats are deteriorating quickly. I have a piece of metal wire poking through and the sides of the seat are torn so badly that you can see the foam inside. So I am thinking for the time being I would throw a Jegs seat in there until I can save up for some Katzkins. So my question is. On a 2015 Challenger the front seat has an airbag. A) what would happen if I replace the seat (air bag light) and B) would you guys recommend against this and just stay with the seats.
Have you thought about taking it to an auto upholstery shop? People occasionally posts seats here from either totaled vehicles or others switching them out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you thought about taking it to an auto upholstery shop? People occasionally posts seats here from either totaled vehicles or others switching them out.

Yea I’ve been looking but so far it’s out of my price range. So I might have to save up unless I find a huge bargain on. But I’ll keep an eye out for the posts I appreciate the tip! ?

·
Premium Member
2014 rt shaker
750 Posts
So, you've had good luck with your leather steering wheels. My Leather steering wheel in my SRT is in perfect condition. If you were me, what products would you use to keep it that way?
I’ve been putting ceramic tint on the windshield to keep uv out, before that I always used a windshield sun shade when the cars are parked.
I try to keep my hands clean when I drive the cars.
I’ve been using a product called “immaculate” by Aero to clean interior surfaces including the steering wheels.
So far, so good.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I’ve been putting ceramic tint on the windshield to keep uv out, before that I always used a windshield sun shade when the cars are parked.
Shaker: from what I've read ANY (windshield) window tint (except upper 5 inches or so) is illegal in America. How did you get a tint applied to your windshield?

Gary

·
Premium Member
2014 rt shaker
750 Posts
Shaker: from what I've read ANY (windshield) window tint (except upper 5 inches or so) is illegal in America. How did you get a tint applied to your windshield?

Gary
It’s not illegal if you get a note from your doctor explaining that you need it due to an eye condition.

But I haven’t gone that route... I just use the ceramic tint by llumar. It doesn’t need to be dark to block the uv out. I go very light and the color change is hardly noticeable at all. I’ve never had an issue from any police. I have it added to the sunroof and front doors of all the cars too, and go limo tint on back windows since that’s legal.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
It’s not illegal if you get a note from your doctor explaining that you need it due to an eye condition.

But I haven’t gone that route... I just use the ceramic tint by llumar. It doesn’t need to be dark to block the uv out. I go very light and the color change is hardly noticeable at all. I’ve never had an issue from any police. I have it added to the sunroof and front doors of all the cars too, and go limo tint on back windows since that’s legal.
Oh well, I won't be able to get any such notes from my doctor. The only things he gives me are pills and bills.

So if you use Luminar tint, how did you get it put on the windshield? Did you do it yourself?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I've never had that problem.....then again I don't live in Fla.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts