Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to do some mild mods on my Challenger R/T soon. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone who could let me slide with any type of "off-road use" modifications during inspection and emissions.

The mods I am looking to do are the following:

1. 6.4 Cam Swap
  2. JBA Shorties
  3. JBA Catless Mids
  4. 180 t-stat
  5. Diablo Email Tune

Since I cannot legally pass inspection with catless mids, I would swap the stock mids back on for inspection. My question is can I have a custom tune installed for the mods above, but when it comes time for inspection with the stock mids just run a can tune with the 6.4 cam? Will the vehicle run with a can tune?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,538 Posts
Odds are that if your custom tune has the rear 02 (or all of the 02 sensors) shut off, the system won't show ready status and not pass inspection.

Otherwise, in addition to re-installing the cats, you'd need to connect the O2 sensors back on and potentially reload the OEM tuning.

This is if your area plugs into the OBD-II port to check the functions of the system.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Odds are that if your custom tune has the rear 02 (or all of the 02 sensors) shut off, the system won't show ready status and not pass inspection.

Otherwise, in addition to re-installing the cats, you'd need to connect the O2 sensors back on and potentially reload the OEM tuning.

This is if your area plugs into the OBD-II port to check the functions of the system.
In PA, you are allowed to have one "Not Ready" during the emissions/inspection. But as I stated the O2s would only be turned off when the cat deletes are installed. Before going for inspection, the stock cats would be reinstalled and the rear O2s would be turned on again.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Why cat-less mids?
The 200 cell high flow cats are 49 state legal if your concern is a visual issue,you might be leaving 1 or 2 pony’s on the table(you’ve already left more deciding to run shorties,not saying shorties are a bad choice either!) sound,if thats a concern won’t be as different as you may think.
Turning off the downstream O2’s does not affect readiness monitors.

Not trying to be harsh,just suggesting do it once and keep it simple,and get the great results your after and paying for without lingering grief.Don’t pay to fix something that could have been done once with better patience and planning.It will make the enjoyment factor climb immensely!!

I put SLP long tubes with catted mids our 6 speed R/T,will be getting a tune to turn off down stream O2’s as I get a light for down steam O2’s,and would have no problem passing in Az.,were they do a simple plug in check,no visual emission check here.
Love the power and sound the car has gained from this mod!!

Its the wifes car,and she couldn’t be happier with it as well.

Cheers,and enjoy!!:icon_cheers:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why cat-less mids?
The 200 cell high flow cats are 49 state legal if your concern is a visual issue,you might be leaving 1 or 2 pony’s on the table(you’ve already left more deciding to run shorties,not saying shorties are a bad choice either!) sound,if thats a concern won’t be as different as you may think.
Turning off the downstream O2’s does not affect readiness monitors.

Not trying to be harsh,just suggesting do it once and keep it simple,and get the great results your after and paying for without lingering grief.Don’t pay to fix something that could have been done once with better patience and planning.It will make the enjoyment factor climb immensely!!

I put SLP long tubes with catted mids our 6 speed R/T,will be getting a tune to turn off down stream O2’s as I get a light for down steam O2’s,and would have no problem passing in Az.,were they do a simple plug in check,no visual emission check here.
Love the power and sound the car has gained from this mod!!

Its the wifes car,and she couldn’t be happier with it as well.

Cheers,and enjoy!!:icon_cheers:
I may just go with the catted mid pipes then. I thought the catted mids would dampen the sound more than catless.

I was going to do long tubes, but I keep hearing they're not worth it on a mostly stock 5.7L motor. I have no plans for a blower, just the mild 6.4 cam.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I may just go with the catted mid pipes then. I thought the catted mids would dampen the sound more than catless.

I was going to do long tubes, but I keep hearing they're not worth it on a mostly stock 5.7L motor. I have no plans for a blower, just the mild 6.4 cam.
Gotcha,no plans for a blower here either,but just wanted to maximize my dollar/bang for the buck.
I too may do the same cam swap,and long tubes will only contribute to the gains.
These thing love to breathe much like,I’m gonna say it LOL.an LS engine,they are not small displacement soda containers,and can move air.

Making your under hood air pump more efficient is a good thing and will bring large smiles each time the right foot is firmly placed against the floor board!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts