Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,505 Posts
Replace si/so mufflers with a di/do muffler and delete resos.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,505 Posts
How much for this mods?
ive done it to two different Challengers I had and both times i got the muffler for ~ $35, but I had to pay ~$200 for parts and labor to get the exhaust shop do the install and run the new exhaust pipes. You can shop around I’m sure and possibly find a better deal for the install, but a grand total of $200 at least should be doable for you i think if you are going to try this

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
generally speaking the SXTs do not sound very good with muff delete.
throaty but very 'tinny' in a bad way.
better would be replacing muffs with something like dynomax, flowmaster, or similar. deletes will also screw up any state emissions testing requirements.
whatever you decide on, keep all of your original parts, cant tell you how many guys Ive known and read about, that ended up going back to stock after trying this or that..

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,566 Posts
I'm a believer that a cat back made for the V6 will give you the best sound. Beyond that it's a crapshoot deciding what mufflers

A Guy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive done it to two different Challengers I had and both times i got the muffler for ~ $35, but I had to pay ~$200 for parts and labor to get the exhaust shop do the install and run the new exhaust pipes. You can shop around I’m sure and possibly find a better deal for the install, but a grand total of $200 at least should be doable for you i think if you are going to try this
200 sounds good for me , if I delete mufflers and keep resonators do you think that sounds better than stock?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
generally speaking the SXTs do not sound very good with muff delete.
throaty but very 'tinny' in a bad way.
better would be replacing muffs with something like dynomax, flowmaster, or similar. deletes will also screw up any state emissions testing requirements.
whatever you decide on, keep all of your original parts, cant tell you how many guys Ive known and read about, that ended up going back to stock after trying this or that..
Yes I’ll keep the original parts

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,505 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Cherry Bomb Vortex mufflers sound great on the 3.6 motor.
Put tbem on my 2012 Challenger SXT

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
358 Posts
If you want to experiment on the cheap this is a setup many people I've talked to have done and are happy with. As mentioned, just keep all your stock parts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cherry bomb vortex mufflers will sound pretty good for a muffler swap alone. IMO, it’s a little “dirtier” than the muffler swap sublime19 posted. The magnaflow(or DT/Jones clones) above sound a little more “European” than the cherry bombs do. They’re a cleaner sound, but sound closer to a Porsche than a 3.7 mustang. The down side is that the cherry bombs aren’t even close to the quality mufflers that the magnaflows are(or equivalent clone). I’ve seen vortex mufflers lose packing and begin sounding raspy in a short period of time. The raspyness is similar to most flowmaster mufflers without a GOOD aftermarket resonator to match. Also.. A rear reso delete will sound droney and may sound a bit “ricey”.. but not as ricey as a mid muffler delete.
Currently have a full custom exhaust with 2.5” cherry bomb vortex but I reinforced the baffles and substituted some packing so they would last longer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts