Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all! I have been salivating over my first Dodge and, as a brokeass FT medical student (no, not MD, PA...I do have a little time for fun!), any tricks on how to boost torque and hp? I have the entry-level SXT, 2017, and I am head over heels in LOVE with this car. It delivers. I could go on and on about why I chose this car over, ie, the ecoboost. Again, no 5.0's or Hellcats for THIS student.
I have spent the greater part of my life entranced by the lines of cars, particularly sports cars, and the interiors, handling, etc. I know NOTHING about the engine. I have been researching opinions on helping kick it up a notch, though I am happy in Sport Mode, I would still like a quicker response. I am going to Fontana to watch the Street Legal drags and if I have the bawlz, and if I go up against a Yugo, I may have a chance. I have the basic 18" tires, too.

If I put my lil Entry-Level base model on the line tomorrow, of course I will put it in sport mode, but should I just let it shift on its own or should I work the transmission myself and redline it at each shift? Don't want to kill her, but don't want to lose. I have a feeling I will be getting hooked in another expensive sports. My horses...and my horsepower. They aren't cheap!
Any tips a rookie girl can use would be appreciated. I've been looking at the cool air intake "thing". YouTube has DIY videos. Is it too technical for a rookie under the hood? My extent of maintenance is oil changes (by someone else), I check fluid levels, tires, and air filters.
Thanks, everyone. I am soooo happy to be in the Dodge world. I don't think I'll ever go back. I hope to learn from some Mopar freaks here in Southern CA so I can learn more about my whip. :)
Happy New Year!
Juls

·
Registered
87 Posts
You will get dozens of things to do, but....
Entry level for something really effective (not just noise) is about 5 grand, which is also about what the next motor upgrade would cost WITH WARRANTY and no additional labor cost.
Love it as is, great economy car!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True. I'm just hoping for little tweaks here and there. Air cooled intake? Been reading about that? Again, I know ZERO about performance, but I know exactly what I like and what I aspire to have someday! (2.5-yrs and I'll be done with my training and will be able to afford to play more. I have plenty of time to learn.) As for sound, it's a '17 and whoever had her before me did something to make her sound DELICIOUS. Everything I remember about being a kid in my families bigass muscle cars. I could listen to it all..day...long.
And I really do love this whip. As is, she is everything I need. Throw in a few modifications, and she's everything I want! 😊 Such a solid car. #MyFirstDodge

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’d highly recommend cutting the rear resonators off and replacing the mid mufflers with some Flowmaster Super 10s.

A bit of drone but sounds great!

·
Registered
114 Posts
She said the car sounds delicious - no need to cut the resonators off.

You could however add a cold air intake if you want to have it a little louder. Some people (and especially the manufacturers) say this will get you more hp but I doubt you will notice any gain. The throttle might be a little more responsive...

You said you want quicker response. A „pedal commander“ will do the trick. Again no gain in hp but it might be exactly what you want.

·
Registered
13 Posts
True. I'm just hoping for little tweaks here and there. Air cooled intake? Been reading about that? Again, I know ZERO about performance, but I know exactly what I like and what I aspire to have someday! (2.5-yrs and I'll be done with my training and will be able to afford to play more. I have plenty of time to learn.) As for sound, it's a '17 and whoever had her before me did something to make her sound DELICIOUS. Everything I remember about being a kid in my families bigass muscle cars. I could listen to it all..day...long.
And I really do love this whip. As is, she is everything I need. Throw in a few modifications, and she's everything I want! 😊 Such a solid car. #MyFirstDodge
think im in love......

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,152 Posts
So if you don't mind losing your warranty, you can get a tune that eeks some power by tweaking VVT and running more timing with the trade-off of always having to run premium fuel (running water/meth can help with running more timing but it is another thing to fill). To do this you would need your PCM modified $250 and find a pro shop to do the tuning (saves you the cost of getting a tuner interface) which can range from $400 to +$1000. This will squeeze out a lit bit of power...not much after that. For more power you need nitrous or forced induction (+$6000).

Some threads on possible power gains if you go forced induciton.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if you don't mind losing your warranty, you can get a tune that eeks some power by tweaking VVT and running more timing with the trade-off of always having to run premium fuel (running water/meth can help with running more timing but it is another thing to fill). To do this you would need your PCM modified $250 and find a pro shop to do the tuning (saves you the cost of getting a tuner interface) which can range from $400 to +$1000. This will squeeze out a lit bit of power...not much after that. For more power you need nitrous or forced induction (+$6000).

Some threads on possible power gains if you go forced induciton.
Screenshotted.....thank you!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She said the car sounds delicious - no need to cut the resonators off.

You could however add a cold air intake if you want to have it a little louder. Some people (and especially the manufacturers) say this will get you more hp but I doubt you will notice any gain. The throttle might be a little more responsive...

You said you want quicker response. A „pedal commander“ will do the trick. Again no gain in hp but it might be exactly what you want.
Thank you so much! Yea, there's something really sexy about her growl. I DO love it. Never had I had a car where I turn down the stereo when I let her run. 😊😊😊 LOVE it! So happy I went with my first Dodge and have so much to learn. Fun. Now need to have the $$$ to slowly add on. May be more fun this way and I'll learn in the process.
(As I Google "resonators"!!!)
Thx, Everyone!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thank you so much! Yea, there's something really sexy about her growl. I DO love it. Never had I had a car where I turn down the stereo when I let her run. 😊😊😊 LOVE it! So happy I went with my first Dodge and have so much to learn. Fun. Now need to have the $$$ to slowly add on. May be more fun this way and I'll learn in the process.
(As I Google "resonators"!!!)
Thx, Everyone!!!
Cool science username, by the way!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Educate yourself on Nitrous and just add a modest 50 or 75 shot. It’ll be a real power boost you will definitely feel for far less $/hp than any other mods. Then if you sell the car you can just take it off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Education...that's the interesting part...the more I learn, the more I realize how much I have to learn! But it's fun stuff.
One mechanics place I stopped by mentioned alcohol. The guy was an ass, threw out the idea, and let the other 2 guys explain other methods. 🤷🏼‍♀️
I am also getting educated on my gorgeous state of CA and its bullshit laws and regulations on EVERYTHING. CAI have to.be CA legal. 🙄 Don't all of the Tesla's and Prius peeps counter the peeps that like snarly, beefy whips?
Thx for the encouragement!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool science username, by the way!
AWESOME!!! "What in the world isn't chemistry"? And, thank you! All the "Juls" were taken. "Jewels" was too self-absorbed for my comfort, and I have a forever space in my mind for ergs and joules! And ☢, of course. My job o' choice.
#UpTop!

·
Registered
705 Posts
You will get dozens of things to do, but....
Entry level for something really effective (not just noise) is about 5 grand, which is also about what the next motor upgrade would cost WITH WARRANTY and no additional labor cost.
Love it as is, great economy car!
Agreed.
With the exception of a custom exhaust (not any performance, just a better sound) I would just love it and leave it as is.
If you are really after a performance increase, consider a trade up to an R/T.
You will be money ahead in the long run.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Welcome, and IMO, just enjoy it and the thrill that it's giving you. It'll easily get you through you're schooling with a big smile.

If you're still a "Dodge Girl" when you graduate, they'll be plenty of BIG HP Challengers to choose from for a graduation present. :)

Again, welcome and enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agreed.
With the exception of a custom exhaust (not any performance, just a better sound) I would just love it and leave it as is.
If you are really after a performance increase, consider a trade up to an R/T.
You will be money ahead in the long run.
How about just a "little" mod? I really do love the car. Having come from the short, squatty, stiff suspension little 2-seaters I tossed around most of my life, I am learning to trust the car and settle into the seat and turns. And at 110 mph, it feels and sounds like a Lexus sedan cruising at 75.
For me, I bought the car for the torque and the 0-60. I love the sound, the pull, not to mention, every angle of the car is gorgeous. I cannot find one thing in it's contour that I don't like. (I have to admit, the old '68 Camaro made me love what Dodge has done to the chassis).
That said, I just want to make her the best SXT she can be. If I can pop a little tweak on here or there without compromising the integrity of the car, I figured you all would know some places to start. I have to finish my Masters, THEN I'll shop for "Next Level", but I have just under 2-yrs left. I want to come out and play! 😊
And, you're right. Tim S, too. She's perfect as is. (But I can't help myself! We buy them for the fun!)

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
660 Posts
I love the sound, the pull, not to mention, every angle of the car is gorgeous. I cannot find one thing in it's contour that I don't like.
Challengers are indeed a beautiful car. I bought my daughter a one year old used 2016 Challenger SXT Plus in B5 Blue for her 16th birthday. After she had proven herself as an adult.....I ended up getting her a new leftover 2018 Challenger T/A in Yelllllllller for her graduation present in April 2019.

Like you, I’ve yet to find an “ugly” angle on these cars. The first time I hand washed the SXT Plus, I smiled as I ran the wool wash mitt down the side of the car, knowing that someone designed it, and someone subsequently approved, such a nice, clean car that is sooooo closely mated to its predecessors.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,789 Posts
Other than exhaust (for better, hell, some sound), I've done only appearance mods ;) LOTS you can do there

A Guy

·
Registered
227 Posts
It is a little pricey, but the Mopar CAI is a nice addition. Looks good, adds a little sound and is legal in CA. Then some bling for the engine bay and maybe an upgraded sound system.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts