Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Unfortunately there aren't really any "little" mods you can't do for the SXT besides a CAI and a tune. But the Pedal Commander can help with throttle responsiveness. Nitrous is also a repatively cheap HP option. A RIPP supercharger or a twin turbo setup is the next step up and will give you Scat Pack levels of power or more. Unfortunately, everything but the CAI and Pedal Commander is going to void your warranty.

So, I'd recommend saving your pennies throughout the last bit of your schooling. Once you land a job after school, you can always upgrade to a faster model! Especially with the used Scat Pack and Hellcat market being filled with nicely priced lightly used options.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,612 Posts
As others have stated, the list of performance-adding mods is limited for the 2015+ SXT, so I’ll go a little off script with my recommendations and just provide a list of mods I either did to my 2011 SE (and enjoyed) or would have liked to do but didn’t for whatever reason:

- replace stock air intake system with an aftermarket one which includes the air intake tube. That last part is important because it removes the stock sound baffle that quietens down the WOT roar (see below for ‘after’ example).

- replace the 2.65 rear-end with a 3.07 one from another LX/LC that has the open diff like yours. These are not desirable as a general rule and can be found at local salvage yards for $200 or less usually.

- get rid of the Touring suspension and its 4x4 ride height by installing some lowering springs and Bilstein dampers.

- replace the dual mufflers with a single dual in/dual out JFB muffler and delete the resonators, having new exhaust pipes installed from the muffler all the way back. (See this post for examples of what it would sound like).

- take control over how firm and when the transmission shifts by installing a TCM-interface device, e.g. ZAutomotive’s TranZformer or TaZer.

- get a DiabloSport tuner (and corresponding unlocked PCM) and start running a hotter tune. Use the tuner to datalog WOT runs and learn how to modify the tune to mitigate any KR observed during WOT operation, thereby squeezing out a few extra HP/TQ over what the hotter tune delivers as a canned tune by itself.

- install a low-profile subwoofer begins the driver’s seat up against the rear footwell. Tap the rear deck speakers with a LOC for its sound signals (unless it has high level inputs, rendering the LOC unnecessary). I know an 8” low profile will fit back there, possibly even a 10” one if really compact.

- install a foot print gas pedal, errr, you know what, n/m on this one...?

Anyway, doing some or even most of those should result in a sizable return on increased fun when it comes to the driving experience.

Oh yeah, here’s a sound clip of what my 3.6L sounded like when I replaced the stock air intake with an Injen CAI (with replacement air tube):

Good luck,
Nuke

·
Registered
126 Posts
The best low-cost mod to gain a "feel" of better power is the Pedal Commander. I have my PC sitting in the box like new. I traded my SXT for a Scat Pack and have not installed it in the Scat. Made my SXT feel like a different car.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts