Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody make gear ratio upgrades for the SXT cars? I have the 2.65s and would love something in the 3.23 or 3.55 range. What all is involved and how much cash are we talking?

·
Premium Member
4,492 Posts
Rear-end Upgrade Options for 2011+ SE/SXT

There aftermarket gears available in varying ratios, but I am not sure if they will fit in the SE/SXT's 200mm pumpkin. Best bet would be to find a 3.06 from a wrecked SXT, but it's not going to be a direct replacement - will require other parts from donor car...I researched this topic a while back, check out this thread for more info: www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/2011-se-sxt-rear-end-upgrade-options-99118/

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$2K? If so I will pass.

·
Premium Member
4,492 Posts
$2K? If so I will pass.
I looked up the aftermarket options at one point to get an idea of price, and I don't remember the exact # I arrived at, but 2K sounds about right...seems like it would have been $1500 or so for parts and $500 for labor to install seems about right (if not a little low).

That's when I started looking at swapping in a pumpkin from a wrecked Challenger, but the unique size of the base model's rear-end (200mm) meant any replacements (215mm or 225mm) wouldn't be a direct drop-in, so I had to find what else had to be replaced along with it (axles, hubs, etc)...pretty soon, the whole idea started losing its luster as something for me to do.

It's a shame that the Challengers that could benefit the most from a rear-end upgrade (base models w/ 2.65) require the most effort and/or money to get the upgrade done.

If you run across a wrecked Rallye Redline being parted out, that's your best bet on getting an upgraded rear-end. It will have a 3.06 (215mm), which is not a huge upgrade, but it will be the cheapest and easiest one to swap into the base model Challenger.

Nuke

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah when I bought my car I could have gotten the 3.06 gears for $100 bucks. But I couldn't get the color I wanted so I ended up going 2.65 to get the color I wanted. Starting to wonder if that was a good idea or not. :)

·
Premium Member
4,492 Posts
Yeah when I bought my car I could have gotten the 3.06 gears for $100 bucks. But I couldn't get the color I wanted so I ended up going 2.65 to get the color I wanted. Starting to wonder if that was a good idea or not. :)
The 3.06 is definitely preferable to the 2.65, but I don't think it's enough of an improvement to compromise something like the paint color. I mean we are paying a lot of money for these things and will ostensibly be keeping them for a long time, so we should definitely have them in the color we want.

If the 3.2x or 3.73 rear-end were an option at time of purchase, I could see going with that and not getting the color. Although, with something in the mid 3.xx range, I would probably have to start a separate savings account just to pay tickets and such.

I've got three tickets so far in mine (2 in one day - 10 min apart), so I shudder to think how much jack-assery I would engage in with that low of a rear-end in my car.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I found out that Richmond Gear makes 3.23 and 3.55 ring and pinion sets. Apparently you can get them for the 198mm, 210, 215, and 226 axles. They sell for about $500.

So since you can get ring/pinion sets specifically made for your specific differential...doesn't that mean you could avoid having to change the pumpkin, axles, hubs, etc.?? In theory you could just do a ring/pinion swap just like you would on a straight axle car. Or am I missing something?

I assume you would also have to factor in a tuner to program the computer for the new ratio and that's another $500. So you're looking at $1000 before labor. BUT...it gets you into a ratio that is more desirable for mixed track/street use and it wouldn't require a total overhaul of the rear end.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about all this. :burnout:

·
Premium Member
4,492 Posts
So I found out that Richmond Gear makes 3.23 and 3.55 ring and pinion sets. Apparently you can get them for the 198mm, 210, 215, and 226 axles. They sell for about $500.

So since you can get ring/pinion sets specifically made for your specific differential...doesn't that mean you could avoid having to change the pumpkin, axles, hubs, etc.?? In theory you could just do a ring/pinion swap just like you would on a straight axle car. Or am I missing something?

I assume you would also have to factor in a tuner to program the computer for the new ratio and that's another $500. So you're looking at $1000 before labor. BUT...it gets you into a ratio that is more desirable for mixed track/street use and it wouldn't require a total overhaul of the rear end.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about all this. :burnout:
The 2.65 they put in 2011+ is 200mm, so unless I am remembering that spec incorrectly (and it is really 210mm), or you copied those numbers incorrectly (and 210 is really 200), then we are still on the outside looking in for gear upgrades.

If they do make a set that fits our housing, then yes you would only need to have the computer updated to know about the new rear-end ratio to make it work. Which can be done with a tuner or by having the service dept at a dealership do it for you (unsure what that might cost though).

·
Premium Member
4,492 Posts
If it turns out they do make a set of gears we can swap out in OE housing, please update this thread with the wonderful news. I think the 3.23 gears paired with the A5 transmission's gears would be the bee's knees!

The 3.55 with the A5 gear ratios might be a little too much for anything except full-time jack-assery IMO. And even though I love to do my share of jack-assing around, I also take out-of-town trips often enough to enjoy the great miles per gallon the 3.6L provides.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Has anyone ever actually seen a base car with the stand alone 3.07 gear? I looked at these cars for 2 years and never once came across one that had it. I know it was listed on the site as a 100 dollar option, but I honestly don't think any were built. I have never seen a car with 18's and the gear.

·
Premium Member
4,492 Posts
Has anyone ever actually seen a base car with the stand alone 3.07 gear? I looked at these cars for 2 years and never once came across one that had it. I know it was listed on the site as a 100 dollar option, but I honestly don't think any were built. I have never seen a car with 18's and the gear.
I thought that for the 3.6Ls, they were only available if you had a special edition or as part of one of the perf. packages, e.g. on a Rallye Redline model, or as part of the track pack or SST or whatever it's called.

I didn't know it was an option by itself that could be had for extra $$, and for sure haven't seen this combo in the wild yet (base SE/SXT & 3.06 with no special perf pkgs).

Maybe it's kinda like my g/f always bugging me to get married - I tell her "sure, I can see us getting married someday", but I'm not really the marrying type.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I thought that for the 3.6Ls, they were only available if you had a special edition or as part of one of the perf. packages, e.g. on a Rallye Redline model, or as part of the track pack or SST or whatever it's called.

I didn't know it was an option by itself that could be had for extra $$, and for sure haven't seen this combo in the wild yet (base SE/SXT & 3.06 with no special perf pkgs).

Maybe it's kinda like my g/f always bugging me to get married - I tell her "sure, I can see us getting married someday", but I'm not really the marrying type.
lol. I know for a long time it was listed on the Dodge website as an option for the base car for 100 bucks. I don't think any were actually made though. I've sure never seen or heard of one.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I was looking, there were a lot of SXTs with the 3.07 option. It was easy to find them because the price would be exactly $100 over base price. The only reason I didn't buy one like that was because I couldn't find a TorRed SXT with the option.

Honestly, don't the R/T cars have 3.73 gears as the optional ratio with the A5 transmission? I think 3.55 would be perfect for the SXT since it has the same transmission. I really believe that 3.55s would wake these cars up and it would surprise a lot of people how quick they would be with a simple $1,500 gear job and tune.

I might have to start saving up for this right now.

·
Premium Member
4,492 Posts
When I was looking, there were a lot of SXTs with the 3.07 option. It was easy to find them because the price would be exactly $100 over base price. The only reason I didn't buy one like that was because I couldn't find a TorRed SXT with the option.

Honestly, don't the R/T cars have 3.73 gears as the optional ratio with the A5 transmission? I think 3.55 would be perfect for the SXT since it has the same transmission. I really believe that 3.55s would wake these cars up and it would surprise a lot of people how quick they would be with a simple $1,500 gear job and tune.

I am certainly no expert on the RT/SRT gearing options, but I believe the M6 trans will be paired with the 3.9x rear-end, and the A5s get the 3.0x rear-ends by default from factory.

I'm sure the 3.2x, 3.5x, & 3.7x rear-ends are available in perf packages or maybe even as just a straight upgrade, but I cannot remember much, if any, discussions on here about those ratios unless they were aftermarket or bought from a salvaged Charger or something and swapped in.

Again, I could be way off base on all that, but that's what I seem to remember from my reading and researching on here.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

There were colors that were also a 100 dollar option.

·
Premium Member
4,492 Posts
There were colors that were also a 100 dollar option.
Yeah, but if you choose a color that's even remotely distinctive, like Torred or any of the oranges, they'll tack on another $400-500 for it. My build sheet has mine (Toxic Orange Pearl) listed as a $400-something option, and I believe the Torred is another $100 above that.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TorRed didn't cost extra on mine at all. It was a standard color. The only color I saw in the brochure that was extra cash was Phantom Black and it was 500 bucks.

Also, I think the only R/T autos with 3.07 were the base models and nobody had base models anywhere. I'm sure interstate mileage will decrease but having a better performing car will be nice so 3.55 is what I want. Maybe Santa will be nice later this year.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,492 Posts
TorRed didn't cost extra on mine at all. It was a standard color. The only color I saw in the brochure that was extra cash was Phantom Black and it was 500 bucks.

Also, I think the only R/T autos with 3.07 were the base models and nobody had base models anywhere. I'm sure interstate mileage will decrease but having a better performing car will be nice so 3.55 is what I want. Maybe Santa will be nice later this year.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I bet those greedy bas-turds at Dodge just raised all the Challengers' price $500 to hide that extra fee for color, then no one would be able to tell they were being screwed for more $$ for.a color, plus all the non-destinctive color cars' owners are now paying $500 more, so that just $$ in the bank for them. Those swine! Those brilliant, rich, swine!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts