Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little disapointed in my new 2022 SXT Challengers MPG. I had a 2016 Scat Pack Challenger with a 6 speed and an 2008 SRT8 Charger. I would avg 18-19 MPG in the Challenger and 17-18 in the Charger. In my SXT I am averaging 19 MPG. I expected to get closer to the 23 MPG average advertised on the monroney. If a V6 gets the same MPG why even offer them for sale or buy one?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
33,948 Posts
I average about 20 around town, but get 26 - 28 on the freeway. Either way, from some reported mileage the V8s can get similar mileage on the freeway

A Guy

• Love
Reactions: Danspaperplate

·
Registered
18 Challengers and counting
2,230 Posts
The same as A Guy, plus my V6 only uses the cheap stuff, so that saves $$ over time as well. I think premium here is still nearly a dollar more than 87. With the way I drive, my V8s are definitely thirsty.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I average about 20 around town, but get 26 - 28 on the freeway. Either way, from some reported mileage the V8s can get similar mileage on the freeway

A Guy
The V6 is nice but the whole reason I bought it was because I thought it would get at least mid 20's AVG not the high teens I got with the Hemi's.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
33,948 Posts
Yeah, I have never seen the 30mpg that they claim for freeway although others have reported they have. I've never taken a freeway trip that didn't involve some surface streets and traffic however. Others report better city numbers, but I've also never seen them. Might be due to my (our?) driving style though

A Guy

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
30 mpg? nope, me either, but I do "quickly", 0-60 is a sprint still, lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I have never seen the 30mpg that they claim for freeway although others have reported they have. I've never taken a freeway trip that didn't involve some surface streets and traffic however. Others report better city numbers, but I've also never seen them. Might be due to my (our?) driving style though

A Guy
I wan't expecting 30mpg but at least 25.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
5,508 Posts
I am a little disapointed in my new 2022 SXT Challengers MPG. I had a 2016 Scat Pack Challenger with a 6 speed and an 2008 SRT8 Charger. I would avg 18-19 MPG in the Challenger and 17-18 in the Charger. In my SXT I am averaging 19 MPG. I expected to get closer to the 23 MPG average advertised on the monroney. If a V6 gets the same MPG why even offer them for sale or buy one?
The V6 costs less to insure.

First encountered -- in a 2nd hand manner -- disappointment with V6 engine fuel consumption vs. V8 fuel consumption way back in 1996 when I bought a '96 Mustang GT with a 4.6l V8 engine. The V6 -- I can't recall the displacement now -- was popular. Some owners of the V6 admitted insurance costs played a role in its selection but a good number also mentioned the better fuel consumption -- at least on paper -- of the V6 engine. But in real world the V6 engine just didn't really best the V8 in fuel consumption as much as V6 owners had expected.

Primarily the benefit of the V6 vs. the V8 in terms of gas mileage is the V6 had two fewer cylinders and thus less internal engine friction. Under some circumstances both engines will be operating in a way that is very conducive to good gas mileage. Briefly, this is at low speed low engine RPMs due to the transmission being in the highest gear possible. With an automatic the shift map ensures this. With a manual it is up to the driver.

Both engines will be making the same power. The V6 will be more fuel efficient because besides the absence of two cylinders the remaining cylinders will be operating in a more fuel efficient mode: The engine throttle air valve will be open wider and this means less pumping losses which results in better cylinder filling which results in better combustion which results in more efficient conversion of the energy of combustion being converted to mechanical energy.

But the V8 will be in this same sweet operating mode too and for its size be operating in a very fuel efficient manner. So pretty much the main factor in the difference in fuel consumption will be the V6's less friction due to 2 fewer cylinders.

Sure the lighter weight of the V6 equipped car vs. its V8 version also contributes something the better gas mileage for the V6. But this is mostly at take off from a stop.

Another thing to consider is with the expectation of much better fuel mileage owners of V6 equipped cars might be tempted to drive the car more aggressively believing the smaller engine with its fewer cylinders will mitigate the increase in fuel consumption this type of usage brings about. To some extent yeah, but it can't work miracles.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger SXT, Octane Red Metallic, Ruby Red/Black Int.
496 Posts
Here is a photo our total kilometers and mpg from our trip last month. Imperial MPG converts to 28.81 US mpg. I was at 30.81 US mpg until we got stuck in traffic on the I75 at Saginaw for 1/2 hour and had a detour in Flint. I am quite happy with the mileage overall.
Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera Camera accessory Camera lens Reflex camera Automotive design

Reactions: steves

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Here is a photo our total kilometers and mpg from our trip last month. Imperial MPG converts to 28.81 US mpg. I was at 30.81 US mpg until we got stuck in traffic on the I75 at Saginaw for 1/2 hour and had a detour in Flint. I am quite happy with the mileage overall. View attachment 1058794
That's pretty good gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I noticed in your signature you have a H/O. How does the car drive with that suspension and those brakes? I bet that on a track it must keep up with the Hemi's quite easily because of the weight advantage.
Oh I like it a lot! It handles incredibly well and the brakes are phenomenal! Just a couple of quality issues with the door panels and now the silly batteries in the TPMS sensors-recall thing.

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack R/T
260 Posts
These are overall hand calculated mpg for my 3 vehicles.
2021 Grand Cherokee Limited X 3.6 V6 20.05 using regular 12K miles
2021 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 19.23 using premium 12K miles
2022 Wrangler 2 Door WILLYS 2.0L Turbo I4 20.65 using premium 7.5K miles

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
These are overall hand calculated mpg for my 3 vehicles.
2021 Grand Cherokee Limited X 3.6 V6 20.05 using regular 12K miles
2021 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 19.23 using premium 12K miles
2022 Wrangler 2 Door WILLYS 2.0L Turbo I4 20.65 using premium 7.5K miles
Those MPG numbers are closer than I would expect given the differences in displacement.

The V8 Mustang engine was 4.6l. The V6 Mustang engine was 3.8l. Just 0.8l smaller.

The Scat Pack V8 is 6.4l and the GC V6 engine is 3.6l. That's a 2.8l difference.

But I note the GC has full time 4WD. And weighs in at 4700+ lbs vs. 4200+ lbs for the Scat Pack though this is probably with the 6-speed manual.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Steve - How many miles on your SXT? Maybe it needs a little break-in for the MPGs to improve. I’ve had 4 SXTs and the mileage has been great on all of them thanks to the 8 speed tranny.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic M6
736 Posts
I get V6 Challengers as rentals sometimes (when they don't have any R/T's). I took a day trip in a V6 back in January, and thought I'd see what it was capable of. I zeroed out the computer, and just drove it out on the highway around Arizona. If I remember correctly, it was pulling down low 30's with no special driving techniques, which I thought was pretty good.

As a comparison, my R/T with M6 will get 26-27 on the interstate when I set the cruise to 75-80 MPH and don't touch it. So, V6's should get 30's, and 5.7's should get mid-20's (highway) from my experience. I have no experience in 6.4 cars.

Cheers!

JD

·
Registered
2022 Scat Pack Challenger
180 Posts
My 6.4 M6 will get 25MPG on a trip and it's not really broke in good yet at 2500mi, and this is with the cruise set on 80MPH. It's interesting that my 1.8L M5 Honda civic can do close to 40MPG driving around 75, but when I set the cruise at 80, it starts to drop a lot, down closer to 35MPG. I'm amazed that this much heavier car, with almost 500HP can get the MPG it does on the highway. Of course if I start using this power around town, the MPG is much worse lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Steve - How many miles on your SXT? Maybe it needs a little break-in for the MPGs to improve. I’ve had 4 SXTs and the mileage has been great on all of them thanks to the 8 speed tranny.

It has under 1000

I get V6 Challengers as rentals sometimes (when they don't have any R/T's). I took a day trip in a V6 back in January, and thought I'd see what it was capable of. I zeroed out the computer, and just drove it out on the highway around Arizona. If I remember correctly, it was pulling down low 30's with no special driving techniques, which I thought was pretty good.

As a comparison, my R/T with M6 will get 26-27 on the interstate when I set the cruise to 75-80 MPH and don't touch it. So, V6's should get 30's, and 5.7's should get mid-20's (highway) from my experience. I have no experience in 6.4 cars.

Cheers!

JD
I would get about the same MPG with my manual SP as you get with your R/T.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The reason smaller engines are more desired fir standard drivetrains is called grams per mile. In other words, the accumulated weight of each exhaust pollutant through the EPA drive cycle. It is easy to see over drive and small displacement engines get the nod.

Mass inclusion of overdrive was sold as a fuel saving feature. It is true. BUT the engineering inclusion was grams per mile…the fewer rpms the engine makes the lower the pollutant emission…in weight.

Additional gearing on vehicles also works to keep the engine operating in a more desirable range. This could be lower emissions, fuel economy, and performance. I love the m6 gearing with the 3.90 rear axle ratio even though a closer ratio spread through the gearing would be more desirable. The reality closer ratio gearing would necessitate a higher first gear, or add another reduction gear and drop the highest over drive.

Of course, driveability, characteristics and engineering concerns would present themselves

1 - 20 of 53 Posts