Dodge Challenger Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SXT Plus
14 Posts
I am a little disapointed in my new 2022 SXT Challengers MPG. I had a 2016 Scat Pack Challenger with a 6 speed and an 2008 SRT8 Charger. I would avg 18-19 MPG in the Challenger and 17-18 in the Charger. In my SXT I am averaging 19 MPG. I expected to get closer to the 23 MPG average advertised on the monroney. If a V6 gets the same MPG why even offer them for sale or buy one?
My 2015 V6 averages 21-22, pulls 28-29 on the highway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2005 Chrysler 300C with the 5.7 got 27mpg on the interstate with cruise control on. Also with MDS you only had 4 cylinders getting gas but you still had the friction of 8 cylinders going up and down. I like to think a bigger motor is having to deal with a smaller load than a smaller motor. My wife has a Jeep Cherokee Limited with the V6 which powers her heavy vehicle very nicely, but for me I love a V8 which gives you reasonable mileage but plenty of power when you need it. Nothing like the sound of a HEMI especilly when equiped with a cool air intake. I never had any of the Hemi engines bigger than 5.7 and do not know if they have MDS.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Get a throttle controller for that v6. I have a pedal monster. It has a city mode that brings the throttling down on the highways and you get even more mpg. With a CAI and just the throttle controller, I once showed 28mpg in the trip info on an 11hr road trip. I took a pic but since deleted it.
I now added a 80mm throttle bottle on my v6 and really only see a difference of about 1mpg. My avg mpg is 19, but I also keep the throttle controller set to Track mode. The response is sooo much better than OEM v6 response.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am a little disapointed in my new 2022 SXT Challengers MPG. I had a 2016 Scat Pack Challenger with a 6 speed and an 2008 SRT8 Charger. I would avg 18-19 MPG in the Challenger and 17-18 in the Charger. In my SXT I am averaging 19 MPG. I expected to get closer to the 23 MPG average advertised on the monroney. If a V6 gets the same MPG why even offer them for sale or buy one?
I hope you didn't buy an SXT to save $ on fuel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2021 SXT has AWD and I get 25-27 on the highway and average. about 22-23 around town and mixed driving, and a good point that it runs on regular 87 octane gas. I'm sure if you drive in Sport mode and punch it all the time that will affect what you're seing milegage wise but I have to say I'm happy with the mileage and the power the Pentastar puts out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My scat in economy mode got over 35 mpg on the highway. But after several stops it leveled out at 32. I might get 19 in track mode, but the economy mode kicks ass.

Trip computer Speedometer Car Odometer Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
'22 SCAT PACK/6MT/Shaker/Harman Kardon
24 Posts
Here is a photo our total kilometers and mpg from our trip last month. Imperial MPG converts to 28.81 US mpg. I was at 30.81 US mpg until we got stuck in traffic on the I75 at Saginaw for 1/2 hour and had a detour in Flint. I am quite happy with the mileage overall. View attachment 1058794
how accurate is the trip computer on our beloved dodges? i've seen it in another manufacturer where it was +/- 1 to 1.5 mpg. i like tc's in general, at least to get a quick idea of what the general mileage is. but i'm old school (ok, i'm just old) and prefer to figure out mileage manually (divide total miles by amount of fuel to fill the tank).

The V6 costs less to insure.

First encountered -- in a 2nd hand manner -- disappointment with V6 engine fuel consumption vs. V8 fuel consumption way back in 1996 when I bought a '96 Mustang GT with a 4.6l V8 engine. The V6 -- I can't recall the displacement now -- was popular. Some owners of the V6 admitted insurance costs played a role in its selection but a good number also mentioned the better fuel consumption -- at least on paper -- of the V6 engine. But in real world the V6 engine just didn't really best the V8 in fuel consumption as much as V6 owners had expected.

Primarily the benefit of the V6 vs. the V8 in terms of gas mileage is the V6 had two fewer cylinders and thus less internal engine friction. Under some circumstances both engines will be operating in a way that is very conducive to good gas mileage. Briefly, this is at low speed low engine RPMs due to the transmission being in the highest gear possible. With an automatic the shift map ensures this. With a manual it is up to the driver.

Both engines will be making the same power. The V6 will be more fuel efficient because besides the absence of two cylinders the remaining cylinders will be operating in a more fuel efficient mode: The engine throttle air valve will be open wider and this means less pumping losses which results in better cylinder filling which results in better combustion which results in more efficient conversion of the energy of combustion being converted to mechanical energy.

But the V8 will be in this same sweet operating mode too and for its size be operating in a very fuel efficient manner. So pretty much the main factor in the difference in fuel consumption will be the V6's less friction due to 2 fewer cylinders.

Sure the lighter weight of the V6 equipped car vs. its V8 version also contributes something the better gas mileage for the V6. But this is mostly at take off from a stop.

Another thing to consider is with the expectation of much better fuel mileage owners of V6 equipped cars might be tempted to drive the car more aggressively believing the smaller engine with its fewer cylinders will mitigate the increase in fuel consumption this type of usage brings about. To some extent yeah, but it can't work miracles.
is the final drive ratio the same between steves's v6 and previous v8 powered cars?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
12,364 Posts
how accurate is the trip computer on our beloved dodges? i've seen it in another manufacturer where it was +/- 1 to 1.5 mpg. i like tc's in general, at least to get a quick idea of what the general mileage is. but i'm old school (ok, i'm just old) and prefer to figure out mileage manually (divide total miles by amount of fuel to fill the tank).
I see about a 1.8 mpg difference between hand calculated and the displayed value on my Durango.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 16 SXT is getting 19 mpg around town on regular gas driving mellow. That will drop to 16-17 with enthusiastic driving. Best on the Hwy- me and 1 passenger ( 500 lbs ) at 75 mph with a/c on was an impressive 29mpg . Considering the weight of the car these numbers are acceptable

·
Registered
'22 SCAT PACK/6MT/Shaker/Harman Kardon
24 Posts
i think pretty much everything said in this forum/thread so far has been of value, good info, insight straight from 'the source' (sources?). i could respond to at least a half dozen comments but thought instead to combine most of it here. sooo...
  • if the check engine light is not on, the fuel mapping and related engine controls are in proper working order. in other words, what controls fuel usage/consumption is working ok and will not cause reduced/poor fuel economy. only on rare occasion does this not apply (oh, this applies to stock, non-modified vehicles).
  • with the cel off, the common items to check as possible causes of low mileage are tire pressure and extra cargo weight (what's in your trunk???). driving habits is another factor, more commonly the culprit and usually denied (no offence meant here, just straightforward info from work experience). there are other possible factors, but they would also be detected in other ways such as body damage and uneven tire wear (due to misalignment) i don't think we need to worry if anyone here has a hitch and is pulling a 10k lb tandem axle trailer...for the most part!
  • i've read it takes an average of 14 hp to maintain a vehicle at freeway speeds. in other words, it takes less power to maintain a constant speed vs. repeated accelerate/stop cycles, or stop & go city traffic. the heavier the vehicle, the more mpg worsens in city driving, but not not nearly as much on the highway. the mileage most cars i've personally driven over the years (mostly of the frugal variety) get relatively close to the same mileage from 60 to 75 mph, then drops noticeably with higher speeds. but, as with heavier vehicles, mpg is not affected as much when there is better aerodynamics.
  • a smaller engine has to work harder than a larger one, mainly when it is being worked outside of its normal parameters. for example, a chevrolet spark's mileage will drop more percentage wise when loaded to its maximum cargo capacity than that of a chevrolet suburban's. aggressive driving will also affect the smaller vehicle's mpg more compared to a larger one, again percentage wise.
  • although i did not check out the link to the epa site, i'm to understand epa mileage estimates are determined by the amount of one of the vehicle's emissions gasses. i think it's CO2. regardless, it is supposed to be quite accurate. the difference is how the test is run, which is in a laboratory, compared to real world conditions. for example, the lab tests don't take in consideration the weather condition i.e., snow and rain. still, if the controlled conditions are met within reason in the real world, you could meet or beat the numbers.
'steves', you've gotten a lot of good info from this forum and i'm sure you'll figure things out. bottom line, may you enjoy your new ride!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts