Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
‘12 Challenger SXT
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the entire lifespan thus far for the SXT there has been an issue with warping/stress cracking when it comes to the undersized rotors. While changing from stock brand of rotors & pads keeping the same style of Vented fronts and solid backs did stretch how long before these issues returned, it still took me ten years to finally experiment with installing larger rotors without investing in a 'Big Brake' kit running near or over 5K.

There are few threads about what will fit the knuckle of a SXT and fewer showing installations or even a simple write up so I just want to leave some info out there in-case others may want to upgrade their brakes.

Here are some specs:

Factory
Front: 320mm Vented | Single Piston
Rear: 320mm Solid | Single Piston
Bolt Pattern: 115mm

PowerStop R/T Upgrade (KC2853A-26)
Front : 345mm Vented Drilled+Slotted | Dual Piston
Rear: 320mm Vented Drilled+Slotted | Single Piston
Bolt Pattern: 115mm

Note the larger diameter of the front and the vented rear rotors; this will help with warping. The drilled & slotted design helps with glazing of the pads. If you are shopping on the site, you will see a strange variance of Bolt Patterns being 114.x vs 115 though the SXT & R/T have exactly the same bolt pattern; 115. You will not run into any issues regarding this.

What is needed for this upgrade beside the kit? Four bolts to fit the front caliper mounts; A Hex Flange Head M12x1.75x40.00

You can purchase Mopar ones with part# 6509454AA or purchase some from a hardware store. Though there is a key difference between the SXT front bolts and the Powerstop Caliper mounts and that is the following.

Stock Mount Bolts: Hex Flange Head M14x1.50x45.00
What fits the Caliper Bracket: Hex Flange Head M12x1.75x40.00

This leaves a small degree of 'play' when the bolts are not torqued down but once torqued down and a bit of lock-tite there will be no play even when under extreme breaking.

Over the years of planning such an upgrade, I had heard multiple times that if you were to grab all the R/T brake parts and install them onto an SXT you would need to upgrade the Brake Line as it was claimed to be "too short" but this was not the case in my experiment. The brand new ones for an R/T are the exact same length as on an SXT, though it would be wise to replace them while you're there anyways.

That's it.

In my experience, the braking power is day and night and well worth it for only ~$900 with a couple of qts of brake fluid for a flush. No issues under nearly all street styles of braking, from 30>0 or 140>0 these are day and night vs stock style rotors + stock or carbon/ceramic pads.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
1,055 Posts
Nice! I plan to upgrade my R/T to the Charger Pursuit (BR9) brakes, and that will leave me a set of STP package R/T brakes (BR6) that could be used on our Charger Rallye.

·
Registered
‘12 Challenger SXT
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! I plan to upgrade my R/T to the Charger Pursuit (BR9) brakes, and that will leave me a set of STP package R/T brakes (BR6) that could be used on our Charger Rallye.
Awesome, when/of you do please document and make a guide. I wish I did for everything I’ve done on mine, but I always go all in on my work and don’t stop to take photos during lol

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
1,055 Posts
Awesome, when/of you do please document and make a guide. I wish I did for everything I’ve done on mine, but I always go all in on my work and don’t stop to take photos during lol
I will if I get around to doing the BR9 upgrade on my Challenger. Seems to take a while to put aside enough money for the bits and pieces for that project. The actual swap from the standard SXT brakes with the solid rotors to the R/T brakes SHOULD be as simple as swapping the rotors, brackets and calipers/pads, and possibly the hoses. Of course, sometimes there are unexpected difficulties. As long as the R/T doesn't have Brembo brakes, the knuckles and uprights should not be any different from the SXT parts. This would allow a direct swap over to the bigger R/T brakes. Hopefully, we will find out.

·
Registered
‘12 Challenger SXT
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While I am unsure of the inner diameter of the stock 18" wheels, here's what I pulled from mine (20" wheels)

All measurements are approximate.

Space between Caliper (mid point) and wheel: ~1.5"
Inner Diameter of 20" Wheels: ~18"
Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thank you OP for this post. We are on our 3rd SXT. The first 2 were both leases and both ended up warping rotors. These cars are DD's for my wife. She does not drive hard. On her previous cars, brakes would last forever. Since we own this car and are planning on keeping long term, I was thinking I would upgrade to PowerStop Z23 Rotors and pads if the Rotors warped on this one. The Z23's were suggested by another poster on CT. What results are likely with the Z23 upgrade and is it worth the cost?

·
Registered
‘12 Challenger SXT
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you OP for this post. We are on our 3rd SXT. The first 2 were both leases and both ended up warping rotors. These cars are DD's for my wife. She does not drive hard. On her previous cars, brakes would last forever. Since we own this car and are planning on keeping long term, I was thinking I would upgrade to PowerStop Z23 Rotors and pads if the Rotors warped on this one. The Z23's were suggested by another poster on CT. What results are likely with the Z23 upgrade and is it worth the cost?
If we share the same sentiment of ownership then yes, it's worth the cost. Powerstop offers Z23 in both 12.6" & 13.6" (front rotor) configurations. While I personally do not see the value in replacing an undersized rotor with other of equal size regardless of variation (drilled/slotted), I can only presume that it's going to be a minor improvement simply due to its design.

If you are looking to take the same route I had, that is increasing the front rotor diameter to 13.6" and upgrading to the dual piston caliper then it is absolutely worth it. Just be advised that as other's have stated 18" wheels may not allow a rotor/caliper size increase and I would take the measurements I provided in a later response to this thread and calculate if it will support the upgrade. I hope that if you do, please report back here.

There is doubt in what others say in regards of what will or will not fit as most of us draw our conclusions not from verified practice of theories but a general by-eye/hand judgement regurgetate that as 'good-as-fact'. This mainly applies to untested ideas when asked similar questions to "Will this work?"

You could always just but the larger rotors and caliper and without disconnecting the brakeline, mount the new caliper bracket and caliper with hand tight bolts, mount the wheel and check clearance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve been following your post with interest as my ‘16 SXT + is at 70k miles and the stock brakes will need replacement soon . From what I’ve been reading, Power Stop pads along with Z23 rotors sound like a decent upgrade. I have the stock 20” rims and it sounds like I shouldn’t have any clearance issues I don’t want to do calipers this year as I try to budget my upgrades each year . Any other thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
‘12 Challenger SXT
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve been following your post with interest as my ‘16 SXT + is at 70k miles and the stock brakes will need replacement soon . From what I’ve been reading, Power Stop pads along with Z23 rotors sound like a decent upgrade. I have the stock 20” rims and it sounds like I shouldn’t have any clearance issues I don’t want to do calipers this year as I try to budget my upgrades each year . Any other thoughts appreciated.
Given you are looking at the Z23 Kit for your trim then you should see an improvement without clearance issues even with 18" and even more so if you are not changing the calipers.

This thread mainly covers the installation of the Z26 that is made for the R/T Trim on an SXT base trim.

·
Registered
18,066 Posts
Every factory 18" wheel will clear the 13.6" rotors and dual piston calipers, prior to 2015 all R/T's had this brake setup (BR5/BR6) and 18" wheels came standard.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
You already have 2 piston brakes. Are looking at racing your car? I'm just wondering why you would want to upgrade the calipers. I have a 2016 SXT+ also. The brakes are just fine with me as is, but maybe you are having more fun driving your car than I do driving mine? :)

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
1,049 Posts
Wasnt aware of any brake rotor issues with the SXT. My RT brakes work actually very well so no need to do anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts