Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a salvaged 2014 392 challenger and swap out the parts an install it into my 2013 sxt challenger will i b able to make it work im sorry if its a stupid question don't know about cars as much as i should but i want to build my car and the 392 salvaged is cheap and good motor and undercarriage

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
its certainly do'able. Its not a simple motor & trans swap though. tons & tons & tons of stuff. its not a project for a anyone not equipped with significant knowledge, help, $$ & shop resources by any means, no matter what guys on a 9 minute youtube vid make it seem.
Youll need/want all the donor 392 cars electronics, as it related to engine, trans, etc. Suspension (front, driveline & rear end). fuel systems are different. wheels are different. Brakes also come into play..fyi brakes on the sxt & r/ts are now where near the same as those on the 392 & hellcat cars - for good reason...the list goes on.
You will still have by vin, title, reg, etc... an sxt, no matter whats under the hood.
Post op Resale / trade in will be in the toilet, if at all even possible. 99% of dealers wont touch a majorly cobbled car, few buyers will either. You'll lose money badly. No way around it.
So, when all is said and done, is the cost/effort really worth it vs taking the $$ you have now and your sxt and trading up to what you want without all the trouble?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Check my build. 2011 sxt. I switched to 5.7 and standard. Like hemi4us said it takes some major swapping. You might not be so far off tho. Because of the close years you might only have to change the engine harness and ecu. Not sure tho.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check my build. 2011 sxt. I switched to 5.7 and standard. Like hemi4us said it takes some major swapping. You might not be so far off tho. Because of the close years you might only have to change the engine harness and ecu. Not sure
Where would i go to check ur build

·
Registered
258 Posts

Thats my build

·
Super Moderator
13,592 Posts
I would look for a good, low mileage Scat Pack, instead of an expensive and time-consuming engine swap.

Another option would be to buy a 2008-2010 Challenger SRT. There are many low mileage garage queens out there that can be had for bargain prices. As an example, you can buy a loaded 2009 SRT, with only 39K miles for $23,895.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Depending on how bad the salvaged car is, it might be easier to rebuild it, maybe with parts from your SXT. Just a thought.
You may even be able to switch the dash and a few other pieces and keep it tilted as the SXT.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Im confused. He created a post in BUILDS, not buys. Why discourage a person for wanting to build rather then buy. Some cant build and its easier for them to buy, but if he wants to build why not help him rather then discourage? For me building is much more satisfying then just going to buy something and its usually cheaper too. Why dont you make a posting that is titled "BOUGHT" or "Buys" and not discourage the ones who enjoy getting theyre hands dirty. In my opinion building and buying are two separate things

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Im confused. He created a post in BUILDS, not buys. Why discourage a person for wanting to build rather then buy. Some cant build and its easier for them to buy, but if he wants to build why not help him rather then discourage? For me building is much more satisfying then just going to buy something and its usually cheaper too. Why dont you make a posting that is titled "BOUGHT" or "Buys" and not discourage the ones who enjoy getting theyre hands dirty. In my opinion building and buying are two separate things
Exactly why I suggested maybe rebuild the salvaged car if it is not too far gone.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,774 Posts
Normally I'd agree, but when the OP includes "will i b able to make it work im sorry if its a stupid question don't know about cars "...

A Guy

·
Registered
745 Posts
What the other guy said, if you don’t know about cars you’re in for a world of hurt. But, on the flip side if you actually want to know, well, this is how people learn. Just be prepared for it to be more expensive than what you think. I personally don’t believe in this many upgrades with engines, harnesses, electronics, brakes etc. Things go wrong and it’s a nightmare to figure out what’s going on. Always better to buy the best setup for what you want to achieve and build on top of that. I thought about putting a turbo on my V6 Camaro or a swap 2 years ago. I just bought the scat and I’m glad I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts