Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much slower are the 2018 sxt models to the 2018 V8s? Been bummed out lately cause I'm paying around 500 dollars a month for an sxt ss group package challenger.. I love the car,; it is straight piped.. everyone said it sounds like a V8. Even had a guy in a charger tell me that.
But I been down in the dumps cause I know it'll never be as fast as a V8 or even stick with one...
My credit won't allow me to even look at a V8 cause I'm so upside down in this car now.. any advice.. maybe lighten the mood?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Just give it time man, we all started out with slow sensible cars.

I remember when all of my friends were driving bmw’s, g37’s, s2000’s and mustangs. What was i in? 2003 E class mercedes. Its all i had at the time and it got me around but that thing went nowhere fast. V6 motor sitting on the same chassis as our challengers now add about 600lbs and it was frustrating. Sure the car was cozy, i had it on wheels too.

The best thing i can tell you is wait it out and make sure your next ride checks all the boxes off for you

·
Registered
938 Posts
Just enjoy it for the next few years. The time will go fast and who knows what deals will be available when you're ready to upgrade...to a Hellcat :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,260 Posts
If this makes you feel better

1969 Mustang Boss 302 302ci/290hp, 4spd, 3.91, 0-60 - 6.9, 1/4 mile - 14.85 @ 96.15mph

Challenger SXT 220ci/305hp, Automatic, 0-60 6.3, 1/4 mile - 14.8 @ 95 mph

Make it look good, just wave if someone with more HP, or faster pulls up next to you

Be aware there are Honda Accords faster than us...but look at them...

A Guy

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

1969 Mustang Boss 302 302ci/290hp, 4spd, 3.91, 0-60 - 6.9, 1/4 mile - 14.85 @ 96.15mph

Make it look good, just wave if someone with more HP, or faster pulls up next to you

A Guy
Dude, i love it

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
To make you feel better, you are getting good gas mileage. If you upgrade to a V8, you will need to upgrade the octane in the gas you buy, and get fewer miles per gallon. I mention this, because I assume it's your everyday driver. Also, you will probably pay more in car insurance if you have a V8.

I'm trying here.... :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Not to mention that even if you upgraded to a V8 - let's say the RT, for example, there would still be a ton of other V8 vehicles that are faster than you. :) There will ALWAYS be cars that are faster. Honestly, the V6 has more than enough power for a daily driver. It's rare that I can even stretch the legs of my V6, let alone a V8. Obviously, if you race the car or go to the track, that is different - but for "on public roads" daily-driver driving, you really can't fully utilize the power of the V8 models all that often anyway - IMO.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
But I been down in the dumps cause I know it'll never be as fast as a V8 or even stick with one...
any advice.. maybe lighten the mood?

Never say never! There are recent threads on supercharging on that model, with impressive results...

HOT ROD ON

·
Premium Member
9,470 Posts
My first Challenger was an SXT and I wish I would've kept it. The car had plenty of pep you can only go so fast daily driving. I loved the gas mileage and the payment / insurance hurt a lot less than my current Challenger, ha!

Enjoy your ride, it is nicer than most :)

- Alexis

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
2 months ago I traded in my Tor Red 2017 6-speed Shaker R/T for my 2019 GT Plus and couldn't be happier. The Shaker was lucky to get 23-25 on the freeway if you babied it, the GT gets 35. I already have over 6100 miles on it so that matters a lot to me. It has ALL the same great stuff the Shaker had - perf suspension, Alcantara sport seats, 20x9 light wheels, and it's Go Mango. So far I've done a 6 flat 0-60 (the Shaker could only get a 5.4) and I've done a 14.6 @ 97. It has all the power you need for 99.99% of any kind of normal driving. Yeah, the higher power is fun for the very few seconds you can use it, but unless you want a lot of tickets you really can't use it hardly at all anyways. As A Guy said, most of the old school muscle cars weren't as quick as our V6 Challengers are and we get WAY more comfort, A/C, great tunes and mileage they could never dream of.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How much slower are the 2018 sxt models to the 2018 V8s? Been bummed out lately cause I'm paying around 500 dollars a month for an sxt ss group package challenger.. I love the car,; it is straight piped.. everyone said it sounds like a V8. Even had a guy in a charger tell me that.
My credit won't allow me to even look at a V8 cause I'm so upside down in this car now.. any advice.. maybe lighten the mood?

I optioned out my SXT Plus with Phantom Black paint and all the sport suspension, performance pages and other goodies available, including a 3.07 rear end that gives the car a noticeable bit of extra grunt off the line. I love the car’s look and it’s performance, with a couple of hundred pounds less weight off the front end over the RTs. That translates to 50/50 weight distribution and better handling IMO. I lived in one of the worst traffic areas in the country, so an extra 70 or so horses wasn’t going to make a hell of a difference, except in gas and insurance payments. Now I’ve moved a rural area where 45MPH is the top end, so to 45 I’m just as bad ass an anyone running the Hemi! If I were you, I’d enjoy a very well sorted and balanced car while appreciating the savings. The V8s will be there when you’re ready to switch—if you still want to. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts

I'm not sure how old you are - so I don't know how age relativity factors in... but listen. It's all good man. It takes time. I started out with an '87 S-10 extended with the V6 2.8Liter. Then I upgraded to a '92 Bonneville SSE (don't even get me started on this, I loved them back then). Once the head gasket took a shit, I grabbed a '98 Olds Intrigue. Then an '07 Charger RT. Now my current SP. It took a lot of time and money over the years. I don't know where you are at, but it doesn't matter - everyone's path is different. If you want a Scatpack or a Hellcat, then that is your goal. Take extra hours, save money aside, do more schooling, etc -- do WHATEVER you have to do to push you forward toward that goal. Take pride and smile at the accomplishments you made today, that will soon be reflected by the victory of tomorrow.

·
Registered
109 Posts

A Guy
Thats actually really awful. 60 years later and not even a tenth faster despite better brakes, tires, transmission and suspension.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Thats actually really awful. 60 years later and not even a tenth faster despite better brakes, tires, transmission and suspension.
UH, you're missing the point. The Boss 302 was lucky to get double digit mileage, needed plugs and points every couple of thousand miles, handled worse, had worse braking, no a/c - the list goes on and on. Oh, and the Pentastar is 50% smaller but makes more hp as well. In fact, if you doubled the size and output of the Pentastar to 440 cubes, you'd have a 610 hp/536 tq engine that got 18 mpg, maybe better. An old school 440 with that kind of power would get (like my old 440+6 70 Super Bee did) about 6 mpg when you drove it gentle.

·
Registered
109 Posts
UH, you're missing the point. The Boss 302 was lucky to get double digit mileage, needed plugs and points every couple of thousand miles, handled worse, had worse braking, no a/c - the list goes on and on.
And despite that... Is not even a tenth slower. Never mind how absolutely stunning one is, the emotional raw driving experience, simplicity to work on and resale.

Oh yeah, that '69 302 was $3,450 or $24,000 in today's cash.

Oh, and the Pentastar is 50% smaller but makes more hp as well. In fact, if you doubled the size and output of the Pentastar to 440 cubes, you'd have a 610 hp/536 tq engine that got 18 mpg, maybe better.
That's not how engines work. If that was the case, why didn't FCA do that instead of a 485hp 392 that gets 14mpg?

An old school 440 with that kind of power would get (like my old 440+6 70 Super Bee did) about 6 mpg when you drove it gentle.
Did you try installing port injection, a wideband and 8spd transmission? That will put you back in the mid-teens.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,260 Posts
Geez, take things too seriously much? It's a V6, it is what it is, and that's not a bad thing

A Guy

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The whole point here is that these V6 Challengers are as fast as the V8 "muscle" cars of the 60's/70's/80's - and everyone was very perfectly happy with the performance of those muscle cars when they had them - so why should it be any different with this car now? Regardless of how many years ago it was or how fast other cars are now, people were more than happy with that level of performance. Now, we get that same performance level from a car that weighs more, has a WAY smaller engine, gets WAY better gas mileage and is WAY more comfortable. What is there not to like? Sounds like a win/win to me.

These V6 engines are extremely efficient NA engines when you consider the power-to-displacement ratio - and that is where the advancements were made over the years - getting the same power level out of a WAY smaller engine. Not everyone wants/needs 800hp in their daily driver - and the "cons" that come along with it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts