Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks guys. Indo appreciate it. Yeah I wasn't even though of during the 70s 80s... I'm 26. I did kinda grow up around 70s Monte carlos and stuff like that. Don't get me wrong, when this car moves down the road, it'll still kinda put u to the seat. Haha. Especially with that 8sp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I understand how you feel. It took me a while to get out underneath a car. The best advice I can say is keep up with the payments and try to pay on the principal as much as you can.

Back when I wanted to get out under my v6 Camaro I told myself I was going to dedicate a year to paying as much as I possibly could to get my total debt on it.

It took a while but if your dedicated enough you can do it.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,321 Posts
I own an SRT392. But when I was your age, I had no chance to even think about a Challenger. I needed the practical car: that meant inexpensive and hopefully reliable. Hot looking performance car? Forget it: I had too many bills. That was about the time the kids came along. So I waited until I was almost 62 to get this car: until I had the money to pay for it cash. The muscle car dream for me was just that... a dream: and nothing more.

Another thought: Gas stations have been going crazy lately on their prices for premium. It's a minimum of .60 extra and in many states .70 and sometimes .80 cents more than regular. This has become a nationwide epidemic. Stations are gouging the public and they just keep jacking the price. Not much we can do except pay through the nose for the stuff because many of us drive V8's. So be glad my young friend. You've beat the system. To 95% of the public, your car is the same exact car as mine. You get to enjoy saving $$ every time you fill the tank, and it's very likely that the only people that have a clue that your car is any different than mine are you and a very small handful of your friends.

Another thought: if worse comes to worse, you can replace your engine for a fraction of what mine would cost. You've got a great car, my friend: enjoy it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,631 Posts
So...you're saying it's the kids fault? :p

A Guy

PS I paid $4.05 for 87 regular today :(

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
429 Posts
  1. $2.49 for 87 regular for my SXT in New Jersey today. I thought I was paying alot putting premium in my truck at $3.19 but after seeing what A Guy is paying for regular I feel like I'm getting a bargain now. :)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,631 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
I also heard that the V6 with the 8speed is as fast as the 5.7 liter with the 5 speed so you don’t have to go that far back.

I had a V8 Mustang not too long ago that had 265 hp and no one thought anything of it at the time. I think a little perspective is what people are pointing to.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'm going to go a different route here.

You've received a healthy stack of responses that are genuine and meant to make you feel better. I applaud those who have offered you soothing words of encouragement. However, that won't solve your problem.

For openers, 60s muscle cars can't compare to modern cars. The benchmarks for performance have raised well beyond the reach of the 60s muscle car. We all know that a Honda Civic type R can turn a 60s muscle car inside out. Comparing them to modern cars is an apples to oranges comparison. Trust me, I grew up owning the 60s cars. Don't be this guy at the cruise in. You'll sound like a fool.

Next, I can't tell you how many bad hack job exhaust systems I've seen where folks have tried to make a V6 sound like a V8. The only thing I can tell you here is that it will never sound like a V8. You know this as well as the rest of us. You cannot substitute the sound of a real V8 motor across the entire RPM range. Period.

The real issues here are two fold. The first is that your heart wants a V8 car. The second is that you somehow landed yourself in an upside down loan.

First, pay down your loan as quickly as possible. This means you'll have to pay more than the monthly payment consistently. The sooner you get out of the hole you've dug, the sooner you will satisfy the desire you have for a V8 car. Paying down a loan faster will be painful but it's both the consequence and path to the V8 R/T or whichever model you're truly after. It's also a good lesson for later in life. Bad financial decisions have bad consequences.

Second, don't try to take a shortcut to your V8 car. You've already learned the nasty business of upside down loans. You have to do this the right way in order to obtain your goal.

Buckle down, grind that loan away, and never take your eye off the prize.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Comparing todays cars to 60's muscle cars is like comparing a 60's muscle car to a Model T!!!! Seriously though, me and my neighbor were talking over the fence one day and he was telling me how his young daughter couldn't get into any trouble driving a new V6 Challenger they bought her and I said to him, you do know them the V6's of today have just as much power as the old muscle cars of our day, don't you? He just looked at me and didn't know what to say!! LOL!

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
825 Posts
Comparing todays cars to 60's muscle cars is like comparing a 60's muscle car to a Model T!!!! Seriously though, me and my neighbor were talking over the fence one day and he was telling me how his young daughter couldn't get into any trouble driving a new V6 Challenger they bought her and I said to him, you do know them the V6's of today have just as much power as the old muscle cars of our day, don't you? He just looked at me and didn't know what to say!! LOL!
What is the top speed of a V6 Challenger/Charger? I bet it is well over 130, maybe pushing 145. I know my 1967 El Camino gets pretty dang interesting about 120, and it is slightly modernized compared to back in the day.
I think they may be limited to 120 or something, but they will get there EASILY.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I can relate to this. A V6 mustang that my daughter drives can easily wipe an early 1970s V8 setup. I was shocked at how responsive the Ford V6 is in the Mustang.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Geez, take things too seriously much? It's a V6, it is what it is, and that's not a bad thing

A Guy
Just look at what you started! I hope your happy with yourself.
:LOL: (Just busting you, A Guy)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Was just thinking about something you said: that you were bummed because that V6 will never be as fast as a V8. I'm a little weird about driving, so I'll admit that first. In a way, my car accelerates like a V6 most of the time I'm in it. I simply don' t race my 392. I don't push the peddle past maybe quarter throttle at the most and typically do 0-60 in something like 10 seconds or more... and that's only WHEN I step into it more than usual. That's just how I drive, even with all that power. So for all practical purposes, we drive the same car, but yours is likely louder :)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Was just thinking about something you said: that you were bummed because that V6 will never be as fast as a V8. I'm a little weird about driving, so I'll admit that first. In a way, my car accelerates like a V6 most of the time I'm in it. I simply don' t race my 392. I don't push the peddle past maybe quarter throttle at the most and typically do 0-60 in something like 10 seconds or more... and that's only WHEN I step into it more than usual. That's just how I drive, even with all that power. So for all practical purposes, we drive the same car, but yours is likely louder :)
Exactly! People seem to assume that everyone that drives a Challenger is out racing other vehicles, driving it like they stole in and generally driving like a madman! I'm sure that there are plenty of Challenger owners (like you and I) that bought the Challenger more for the looks than how fast it can go. I never race my Challenger. Hell, I almost never even go full throttle (maybe a few times since I bought it - and only when already moving pretty fast on the highway - and even then, only for very short "bursts" simply because I have to slow down for traffic, etc). I've never went full throttle from a dead stop - and probably never will. No desire to. No reason to. No need to stress the motor/trans/suspension, etc....

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
JT, youdaman. I've always enjoyed performance. And for those who like to stomp on it as OAP, good for them, I have no axe to grind here. I still love to hop on my FJR1300 and shoot through the twisties, or rent a dirt bike with daughter Kathleen and fly through the air like some "young fool." (I can only claim half of that phrase... too old) :) But the Challenger isn't the daily driver and it gets babied: always.

·
Registered
2019 SXT Plus AWD
192 Posts
Exactly! People seem to assume that everyone that drives a Challenger is out racing other vehicles, driving it like they stole in and generally driving like a madman! I'm sure that there are plenty of Challenger owners (like you and I) that bought the Challenger more for the looks than how fast it can go. I never race my Challenger. Hell, I almost never even go full throttle (maybe a few times since I bought it - and only when already moving pretty fast on the highway - and even then, only for very short "bursts" simply because I have to slow down for traffic, etc). I've never went full throttle from a dead stop - and probably never will. No desire to. No reason to. No need to stress the motor/trans/suspension, etc....
Well said. As much as I love power and would be a lot of fun, since the Challenger is my daily driver the V6 is more practical for me while still being one cool looking vehicle. I get looks all time, especially with the sublime green. Either they're thinking that's a cool car or look at that old guy in a sports car :unsure:

Plus where I live it's unpredictable how much snow we'll get so the AWD in mine is also something practical. Would have been nice to have some more hp out of the V6 but at the end of the day it's a good balance of practical power and decent mpg. Lastly, I'm not taking a big hit on insurance vs. a hellcat for example.

When I start thinking of upgrading my wife reminds that when I sit in traffic on my commute I'm no faster than the civic next to me. Might be her way of getting me to stop changing cars too often.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Ha, that's why you have a good wife... her advice is good medicine: take it often. You said, "either they're thinking it's a cool car..." They are indeed. that's why they look and that's at least part of why you bought it.

·
Registered
2019 SXT Plus AWD
192 Posts
Ha, that's why you have a good wife... her advice is good medicine: take it often.
If you only knew how many times I've said to myself, "I should have listened to her" LOL

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
429 Posts
Not really sure what some people think when they see my SXT. Nothing but compliments but it has been called a Charger or a Mustang so far and I was even asked if it was a Hellcat. So unless you're a car person or a Mopar person it seems, to me, most people don't know or even care if you have a V6 or a V8. All I know is I got the Challenger I wanted and enjoying the heck out of it. When I see a nice Camaro or Mustang I just think that's a good looking car and could care less what's under the hood. But that's just me. :)

21 - 40 of 46 Posts