Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Challenger RT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this is the first time I'm doing oil change on my used 2017 Challenger RT manual. I got it with 5000miles and now it is almost 8000miles. I just want to get it done and let the dealer do their multipoint inspection. I ordered the oil change package from Mopar via phone and the guy recommended synthetic blend rather than fully synthetic(that I use with my Durango). I just want to make sure from the experts here on our beloved forum that it is ok to put synthetic blend on our beloved Challenger especially the RT's.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
870 Posts
The 5.7L (345ci) engines leave the factory with Synthetic Blend. And, the monthly Vehicle Health Report that I receive from UConnect for our Durango R/T changed their recommendation from conventional to synthetic blend last summer.

Like you, I choose to run Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic in my Durango. (I run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in my Challenger SRT 392.) I can't imagine that a "better" oil would cause a problem.

HOWEVER ... A year or so ago, I kind of, sort of, remember that someone quoted a response from @DodgeCares suggesting that they use a Synthetic Blend instead of Full Synthetic in their 345ci/5.7L Hemi. Dang memory really is the first thing to go.

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Challenger RT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 5.7L (345ci) engines leave the factory with Synthetic Blend. And, the monthly Vehicle Health Report that I receive from UConnect for our Durango R/T changed their recommendation from conventional to synthetic blend last summer.

Like you, I choose to run Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic in my Durango. (I run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in my Challenger SRT 392.) I can't imagine that a "better" oil would cause a problem.

HOWEVER ... A year or so ago, I kind of, sort of, remember that someone quoted a response from @DodgeCares suggesting that they use a Synthetic Blend instead of Full Synthetic in their 345ci/5.7L Hemi. Dang memory really is the first thing to go.
Thanks a lot. I guess I'll go for synthetic blend because he already charged me for 3 oil changes synthetic blend for $108. Not bad. I call the same Mopar guy for my extended warranties and oil changes for my Durango and Fiat Spider(which I traded for the Challenger). I was just surprised he gave me a synthetic blend for my challenger and not full synthetic.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
870 Posts
Thanks a lot. I guess I'll go for synthetic blend because he already charged me for 3 oil changes synthetic blend for $108. Not bad. I call the same Mopar guy for my extended warranties and oil changes for my Durango and Fiat Spider(which I traded for the Challenger). I was just surprised he gave me a synthetic blend for my challenger and not full synthetic.
I'm pretty sure the Dodge engineers are smarter than me. (Most people are!!). And, if the engineers say that the 345ci/5.7L Hemi will be just fine with Synthetic Blend engine oil, then who am I to argue.

Still ..... I've used full synthetic oils in all of my vehicles since the early '90s. For me ... using the "best" (full synthetic) is cheap insurance. Especially when/if you catch it on sale.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts