Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that there is a premium for the T-304 because it is in fact higher grade of steel, but I'm curious how much better the T-304 is. Is the exhaust note different? Higher HP gains?

I know there are videos out there, but it seems like all are of the T-304 version. I'm just trying to figure out if the T-304 is worth the extra $200.

Thanks in advance! :bigthumb:

Edit: I am inquiring about the R/T Auto version.

·
Super Moderator
14,543 Posts
The main aspect of T304 from what I understand is it will not get the surface discoloration that T409 alloy will develop.

So the pipes will still last, but they don't look new and shiny as the T304 will over the long run of time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Steve can you address this?

I am trying to decide between 304 and 409.

I could care less about how shiney my exhaust pipes are. However I don't want to have rust problems down the road. It rains where I live more often than it does not rain (not an exaggeration).

Other than cosmetics, is there any legitimate reason to pay the extra for the 304 system?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,706 Posts
If you never want to have to replace your exhaust again, I'd spend the extra cash and go with the T304 grade. I replaced my entire exhaust system with ARH longtube headers on back made out of it and I expect it will last a very long time. How long are you planning to keep your car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is no sound difference between T304 & T409 that my ears can tell (at least on Jeep).

Buy the T304 if you plan on entering your car into shows... otherwise the T409 is fine -still has polished tips. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I deal with stainless steel pipe as well as structural pipe in my job and I would never use 409 on anything with the atmospheric conditions even similar to the underside of a muscle car. (or very many situations to be honest). I work for a pipe coating company as well as am a representative for one of the largest pipe mills in India. If I were you, and you can afford it, PLEASE go with the 304 because you will not regret it when compared to having to replace your pipes in a year due to your environmental conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
I agree. The differences in various stainless steel types are based on the amount of various materials they are composed of that give them their properties. Go with the 304 for this application.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Steve can you address this?

I am trying to decide between 304 and 409.

I could care less about how shiney my exhaust pipes are. However I don't want to have rust problems down the road. It rains where I live more often than it does not rain (not an exaggeration).

Other than cosmetics, is there any legitimate reason to pay the extra for the 304 system?
I don't know how I missed this thread...but thanks for the help guys. If you want a system that is never going to rust, the T-304 is the way to go. T-409 will never rust through, which is why we still give it a lifetime warranty, but it will oxidize and react with moisture, salt etc. It gets spots on it and will eventually get a surface coating of rust, but will never break down. The tips we include in both systems are always polished T-304 so either way you get the look and sound of the high grade system.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
most of the stainless we use on the aircraft is 301 or 304.. so id agree

1 - 11 of 11 Posts