Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if any other model has the exact same engine air filter as my 2017 T/A 392, so hopefully some of you others here that own one can give me a lesson on how to care for the thing. I was gonna take it out and try and clean it, but remember someone mentioning that it needed to be "Treated" or "Sprayed" after cleaning.

I've even tried to get a new one so I could swap it out while cleaning the original, but didn't get the correct filter and NO ONE I've spoken with can get me a legit part number. This is frustrating, when no one knows what kind of filter is in these car. Even my local Dodge parts guys thought I didn't know what I was talking about and just shrugged their shoulders at me.

Any help from the REAL people who know? (That would be you guys and gals!)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,888 Posts
Reactions: deano379 and Pauljw

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been looking in the forum for about an hour now I'm so confused I want to get another filter for my 2018 t/a 392 and I want to know the proper way to clean them hopefully someone with knowledge of this can reply?

·
Registered
650 Posts
All this information can be found in your owners manual. Perhaps reading it might be of help.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,888 Posts
Can you point us towards the page(s) where your manual mentions cleaning the filter? A Guy

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Can you point us towards the page(s) where your manual mentions cleaning the filter? A Guy

Ahh come on, you know there is always one "look in the manual" hall monitor...but really he hasn't read it either. :lol:

Me, I 'm too anal to skimp on a 30 dollar part on a 50k dollar car so I go with new....But I will clean my mower filter.

·
Super Moderator
15,574 Posts
Your T/A filter is the same style as to what's used in a T/A or Demon with the dry media. You wash it, allow to air dry and re-install it. No oil applied on these filters:

This is in owners manual for my '16 Shaker: [pp 534 in 1st rev. ed.]

1. Remove the air filter from the intake and set the filter
clamp a side.

2. Measure the length of the filter media.

3. Fill a bucket with warm clean water to the depth
matching the filter media measurement and add a
mild household detergent or air filter cleaning solution.

4. Without allowing the solution to flow back into the
inside of the air filter
, submerge the filter media in to
the water and let it soak for ten minutes.

5. Empty the bucket filled with dirty water and repeat
steps 3 and 4.

6. Refill the bucket with clean warm water and rinse the
filter by rotating the filter.

NOTE: The water should be clean with no signs of dirt in
the bucket.

7. Allow the filter to air dry. Re-install the filter on the
intake system once it is dry.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
650 Posts
Do you own a T/A?
Ahh come on, you know there is always one "look in the manual" hall monitor...but really he hasn't read it either. :lol:
Actually I did read it. And I learned how to clean the filter after doing so.

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
Looks like Page 435 although it's Shaker specific and not T/A, still should be the same.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,888 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,888 Posts
So, the add on TA kit you can buy must be different than the kit that comes on the TA? Interesting...

A Guy

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,892 Posts
So, the add on TA kit you can buy must be different than the kit that comes on the TA? Interesting...

A Guy
It's exactly the same components except for the headlight intake hose (from headlamp catcher to the air intake/filter box) is actually slightly longer in the kit. This is because folks who buy the kit do not have the illuminated catcher lamps (unless they have the current Hellcat which now has a catcher lights like the T/A).
Oh and there is only the driver side that is actually plumbed to the air intake thru the headlight, the passenger side is a dummy/blanked off. See pic below of Catcher lighted headlamp

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,888 Posts
Instructions for add on shows last step in cleaning instructions is reapplying oil. Yet filter on the T/A is a dry filter? I'll leave it to others to figure out...

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,892 Posts
Instructions for add on shows last step in cleaning instructions is reapplying oil. Yet filter on the T/A is a dry filter? I'll leave it to others to figure out...

A Guy

Yeah the filters are the same and as far as I can tell these "filters" are unique to the T/A's (as of right now).

·
Registered
865 Posts
Looks like Page 435 although it's Shaker specific and not T/A, still should be the same.

So translated, once you "clean" it it'll only be about 40% clogged. Bought a K&N filter for my old '71 Hemi Charger back in the early 80's thinking it was going to make a difference vs. the regular Fram paper filter. No difference at all until it came time to "clean" the K&N - then you had to buy about $20.00 worth of worthless sprays - nothing could get all the fuzzy stuff jammed into the element. I threw it away & bought a new Fram.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I keep reading contradicting statements from different ppl some say t/a filter is unique to the t/a and needs oil after cleaning and some say no it doesn't the manual doesn't say

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
No factory OEM filter would ever need oil, on that there is no debate. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ya I can't seem to find a definite answer if I need oil on my t/a filter or not called two dealers including the one I got it from and they both were no help

1 - 20 of 49 Posts