Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hal, now it's as clear as....................water - thank you. That was by far the best explanation / illustration of how to do this. Even I understand it now!

·
Registered
538 Posts
In the manual for my 2019 Challenger HC about air filter says refer to the section on maintenance. I went through the entire section and did not find anything about cleaning, only replace at 50K.
So, are the HC filters throwaway only?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,471 Posts
The stock Hellcat air filter is a flat panel paper filter. They are one use only, yes.

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,727 Posts
The stock Hellcat air filter is a flat panel paper filter. They are one use only, yes.

A Guy
both 2019 Hellcat / Redeye use the CAI / cone element similar to what Demon models use.

I downloaded the 2019 owners manual and the SRT Owners Manual

- no mention of the Hellcat 2019 style filters.

However - there's two different procedures (pp 354 - 356 in the '19 manual)

Shaker filters - wash with detergent solution, rinse, air dry and NO oiling

T/A filters - recommended to use Mopar spray on filter cleaner, (once wire mesh is no longer visible), rinse with water, air dry (repeat clean and rinse if necessary) and then APPLY OIL

so there's two different means to the blue filters used on Shaker & T/A models

PS: spark plug intervals are 60K on Hellcat engines (vs. the 100K on all the others). I suppose this is due to the higher temperatures under boost that affect plug service life.

I suppose the answer might be if there's instructions with replacement Hellcat filters; those filters are $159 list...! p/n #68464622AA

So I expect those are washable at that price. That would be a pretty expensive item to replace every 30K

Reactions: A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,471 Posts
Thanks Hal. I didn't know the Hellcat had switched. Raisin Bran hood I guess

A Guy

·
Registered
865 Posts
Removed & did the wash routine on my SPS filter last night - it appears to have cleaned-up just fine. Was a good excuse to "wrench" on something fun like my Challenger for a change!

Now all I need to do is get back to the restoration of my AAR..................

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
559 Posts
"..........T/A filters - recommended to use Mopar spray on filter cleaner, (once wire mesh is no longer visible), rinse with water, air dry (repeat clean and rinse if necessary) and then APPLY OIL

so there's two different means to the blue filters used on Shaker & T/A models ........."
Did the manual happen to offer a part number for the cleaning/oiling kit? The recommended Mopar cleaning/oiling kit (#5153376) that's mentioned in the T/A CAI instructions appears to have been discontinued.

·
Super Moderator
15,727 Posts
Did the manual happen to offer a part number for the cleaning/oiling kit? The recommended Mopar cleaning/oiling kit (#5153376) that's mentioned in the T/A CAI instructions appears to have been discontinued.
it did not - only mentioned the name

41 - 49 of 49 Posts