Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to purchase my first Challenger and have narrowed my choice to a T/A 392 or SRT 392 model, their MSRP's are within a few hundred dollars of each other. But the dealer is discounting the T/A 392 more than the SRT 392. Not considering the price, which would you choose and why?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
T/A has some great things going for it. You can get the 9.5" wheels and I like the direct cold air injection kit they have but heard it will be available to add on the SRT hood soon. I have an SRT and love it. SRT still is the only model (along with Hellcat) that has a 3 mode adjustable suspension which is about the only thing keeping it unique from the rest. Other than that, they seem pretty similar to me. Pricing being even, I'd still go SRT myself.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the T/A is the decals only come in black. You cant even see them when its black on black.
I love the black/phantom stripes look personally...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I compared the Scat Pack Shaker, TA and SRT 392. All equipped as close as possible. Didnt want the adaptive cruise.

SRT392 Plus, Laguna leather, Adaptive bilsteins, better performance pages. No Shaker

TA, didnt have the better leather, nor the adaptive suspension and performance pages, Dynamic package wheels not my cup of tea, vinyl on hood and roof look like at PITA to maintain.

Shaker Scat pack, didnt have the leather, same issue with the Dynamic package wheels and peformance pages, was 1000$ more MSRP, but had the shaker.

When I ordered there was 1500 rebate on the SRT, 2750 on the others. Cost wise the three were close.

I ordered the SRT. I am glad I did. Car is nice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I went for the SRT for the adjustable suspension. Just always you to tune the car for the road and your driving style that day. It is not as good as the adjustable air suspension in the Audi S6 I traded in but the adjustability is nice feature. Street is a softer ride for every day driving and I use it in my custom mode. Sport is what it says it is. I bit stiffer suspension set up but still nice on the street. Traction in Sport allows you to slide the ass end out and drift the car. In Track you get a stiff track ride with minimal body lean. Only for the smoothest roads on the street or you get tired of it fast. It opens up the exhaust at all RPM's for cruising but the ride is stiff. Supposedly it keeps the back end in check and does not allow for slides. Jury is still out as I need to break here in before we do our first road course. Throttle tip in and response is faster in track mode also. The other day on cold tires I was in track mode and gassed it on a 90 degree turn to slide it a bit and she almost came all the way around on me and traction control jumped in. I though TC was off completely in Sport mode but I be wrong. Is there a way to completely turn it off. Newbie here. I know with a Tazer you can turn it off and also ABS. Can it be done with holding the traction button etc like other cars?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
meh...I like the heritage aspect of the TA over the SRT....but that is all subjective. I had the SRT and I liked it but something about R/T and Shaker and T/A that appeals to me soul... ;) Let us not forget emotion plays a part in most peeps fun cars decisions...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I ordered an SRT for the better suspension, nicer interior and nicer wheels (better brakes used to be another justification until the advent of the T/A).

Also, I prefer the classy yet brutish look of the SRT, versus the over the top wrap and side stripes package of the T/A which I dislike intensely.

But hey, more options means more customers, so I'm all for choice.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I chose the T/A 392 over the SRT. As you said the price is pretty much the same. I wanted the CAI over the adaptive suspension since I do not plant on really tracking the car. While I like the look of the Laguna leather seats they do not grip you like the T/A seats do so I chose to do without them for the few times I do track my car.

GL with your decision. Either way you cannot go wrong.

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
I went for the SRT for the adjustable suspension. Just always you to tune the car for the road and your driving style that day. It is not as good as the adjustable air suspension in the Audi S6 I traded in but the adjustability is nice feature. Street is a softer ride for every day driving and I use it in my custom mode. Sport is what it says it is. I bit stiffer suspension set up but still nice on the street. Traction in Sport allows you to slide the ass end out and drift the car. In Track you get a stiff track ride with minimal body lean. Only for the smoothest roads on the street or you get tired of it fast. It opens up the exhaust at all RPM's for cruising but the ride is stiff. Supposedly it keeps the back end in check and does not allow for slides. Jury is still out as I need to break here in before we do our first road course. Throttle tip in and response is faster in track mode also. The other day on cold tires I was in track mode and gassed it on a 90 degree turn to slide it a bit and she almost came all the way around on me and traction control jumped in. I though TC was off completely in Sport mode but I be wrong. Is there a way to completely turn it off. Newbie here. I know with a Tazer you can turn it off and also ABS. Can it be done with holding the traction button etc like other cars?
Press and hold ESP button (must be < 10mph or stopped) and you'll get a chime tone and ESP is fully off. On the '15+ the display in the IP will give that message.

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
T/A all day long.
F the 3 mode suspension. Mine was intermediately stuck on Track for months and could not be replicated at dealer. Almost lost my fillings on these damn roads.
If you want clean..get the SRT. If you want to be bad ass get the T/A for sure.
that would have been awful - buckboard ride the whole time!

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
694 Posts
Either would be a good purchase...But for me my SRT is sweet...
Has everything...
PS...The purchase in 2015 got me a track day at Road America where we drove 5 different Mopars...
I think now they are just at Bondurant in Arizona...

PPS...I love sitting on the fine leather that Swedish cows gave their lives for...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I ordered a scat pack in 2016...wanted the shaker but talked myself out of it......1 month ago ordered the scat pack shaker.....I really like the t/a but went with the shaker....never considered the srt...I wanted more heritage....mine are garage queens....not interested in most of the packages.
I think the best deal is the basic r/t, or basic r/t shaker or basic t/a, all the packages are very expensive for what you get imo, but I had to have the 392, great power but hardly usable on the street..... 4 seconds and you are speeding......I have look down several times and was doing 80.....I thought I was doing 60!!! Good luck....take your time and above all get what you want the first time....it will say you thousands....trust me I know from experience!!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I actually like the Shaker hood more. SRT with a Shaker hood option would be perfect.

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
OP, it all boils down to "what options" and "what appearance" you want.

I ordered a '16 Scat Pack, with very few options, as that's what I wanted. I don't regret it at all.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I'd Go SRT

Life is good when you have these kinds of decisions to make. I like the look of the T/A but not sure I'd want to own one with the plastic on the roof and trunk. Also, I prefer the Scat Pack gauges (I understand that the Scat Pack wasn't part of the equation) better than the "white faced" T/A gauges. I really like the hood and side stripes on the T/A but all of that can be easily added to an SRT... I'd go SRT and add some aftermarket T/A style stripes (without the "T/A") and maybe wrap the hood in matte black. Best of both worlds! See pic from Big Worm (forum vendor):

Attachments

1 - 20 of 70 Posts