Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having such a dilemma here. I'm going to be ordering my 2018 either shortly, or after Christmas (Not sure yet as I need to talk to my rep)

So, identical specs on each cars to bring them in line there is a $450 difference (Invoice) in favor of the T/A but here are my struggles:

1. The SPS will get the Dynamics package add-on (to effectively bring it inline with the T/A) but I love the wheels so much more on the Dynamics Package over the Standard T/A wheels. Both are forged.

2. I Love the idea of the Shaker, but it really doesn't do anything. Its cool.

3. T/A love the hood on it since its semi-hellcat, but that matte-black has me worried about upkeep on it.

4. Controversial opinion here. I hate the Bee logos, especially in the seats. I wish it said SRT instead. The T/A at least is a little cleaner in that regard and has the nice black 392 badge on the side.

So really it comes down to two things. The wheels on the Dynamics package are in my opinion nicer, although I think when you get that package they should change out the center caps to SRT ones. Honestly the T/A wheels are growing on me but I feel like I really need to see them in person.

The matte paint has me pretty worried on the T/A. and I'm not really that psyched about the vinyl on the roof and the decal's on the side.

Anyone else struggling with this? I'm really torn...

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Buy the T/A 392, pick up the wheels you like or look for a nice aftermarket set. You can always buy a Shaker hood and swap them back and fourth every month or so.
With the Matte, most of that is vinyl and can be removed. Just need to get the shark fin repainted and hood too.

You could buy the Shaker and re badge it however you like and buy the SRT hood and swap hoods... You'll get the wheels but still have to swap hoods....

Now here's a doozie, get the SRT and install the Shaker on it and no Bees that you do not like. Plus get the T/A induction kit....

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
I don't really care for black hood myself so I would get the SPS in White with stripe delete and Dynamics, that gives the car a nice clean balanced look. On the seat covers, you can order the 2015 suede back cover that had R/T on the seats, the car is an R/T they never put SRT on the seats or wheels nor would they. I'd get the red brake caliper option too, they really stand out behind the black wheels.

Or for something really crazy, I'd get the T/A 392 in White then strip off all the vinyl and repaint the hood back to white. To me, that would look better although I know most like the blackout.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slidd,

While good points, I looked into a custom leather package for it (around $2K where it did say 'SRT') I'm not willing to spend that kind of coin just yet. However, I am heavily considering the SPS, and then buying the Carbon Fiber Hellcat hood from SpeedLogix. Its around $900 and looks damn nice, although I havnt seen anyone on this board review it. I know that often aftermarket hoods have some fitment issues. This is just one of those things that I don't want to compromise on. If there are big gaps, it will look like crap.

I am Definitely getting the Red painted calipers, that's a no-brainer. I wish I could also get the red seat belts, like they do on the SRT 392's.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Scat Pack Shaker all the way. I was considering both myself but decided against the TA 392 for a few reasons: I don't like the stock wheels, the wrap will need maintenance eventually, and I much prefer the look of the shaker over the TA's SRT hood. Either way, they're both badass cars! I love my Shaker 392.

Personally, I think the bees are sweet. Cool retro touch.

·
Super Moderator
15,345 Posts
I'm having such a dilemma here. I'm going to be ordering my 2018 either shortly, or after Christmas (Not sure yet as I need to talk to my rep)

So, identical specs on each cars to bring them in line there is a $450 difference (Invoice) in favor of the T/A but here are my struggles:

1. The SPS will get the Dynamics package add-on (to effectively bring it inline with the T/A) but I love the wheels so much more on the Dynamics Package over the Standard T/A wheels. Both are forged.

3. T/A love the hood on it since its semi-hellcat, but that matte-black has me worried about upkeep on it.

4. Controversial opinion here. I hate the Bee logos, especially in the seats. I wish it said SRT instead. The T/A at least is a little cleaner in that regard and has the nice black 392 badge on the side.

So really it comes down to two things. The wheels on the Dynamics package are in my opinion nicer, although I think when you get that package they should change out the center caps to SRT ones. Honestly the T/A wheels are growing on me but I feel like I really need to see them in person.

The matte paint has me pretty worried on the T/A. and I'm not really that psyched about the vinyl on the roof and the decal's on the side.

Anyone else struggling with this? I'm really torn...
Why not get a Scat Pack with:
*Dynamics package
*Leather Interior Group (no logos on seats, unless you order SP Appearance Group)
-plus whatever options you're interested in

Then buy the SRT 392 hood, paint to match body color, then add the T/A cold air induction setup and do your own take on it.
You could swap wheel center caps, etc and spend substantially less than on an SPS that has elements on it you don't want.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not get a Scat Pack with:
*Dynamics package
*Leather Interior Group (no logos on seats, unless you order SP Appearance Group)
-plus whatever options you're interested in

Then buy the SRT 392 hood, paint to match body color, then add the T/A cold air induction setup and do your own take on it.
You could swap wheel center caps, etc and spend substantially less than on an SPS that has elements on it you don't want.
Hmmm good point, however I'm ordering this through Costco Auto and believe it or not the invoice is the same on the TA, SPS, and SP. I'll actually end up spending more if I get the SP. I know. It defies logic...

Really the big rub for me with the T/A is the damn matte hood. The vinyl I don't care about as I can just remove it. But I'd have to get the hood re-painted if it gets messed up. I've never had matte finished paint before.

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
Unless they change it back for 2018 that's no longer the case, starting in 17, all Scat Packs got the Bees on the seats whether you ordered SPAG or not.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hmmm good point, however I'm ordering this through Costco Auto and believe it or not the invoice is the same on the TA, SPS, and SP. I'll actually end up spending more if I get the SP. I know. It defies logic...

Really the big rub for me with the T/A is the damn matte hood. The vinyl I don't care about as I can just remove it. But I'd have to get the hood re-painted if it gets messed up. I've never had matte finished paint before.
I know I've only had my T/A for a couple of months but I find taking care of the matte black hood, roof and trunk not that bad at all. I use the recommended Dr. Beasleys on it and also have found that McKees 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant works well also. Some here have also gone the extra expense of having xpel applied on their T/A's. Good luck with your choice

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I was looking at a Go Mango T/A 392 and my SPS. I liked the orange and black combo of the T/A but knew there was no way I was keeping all the matte stuff in good condition. If I would have went with the regular Scat Pack, I would have changed the hood to an SRT hood.

I ultimately went with the SPS because I basically got the Shaker package for free and the Dynamics Package was what I really wanted as far as wheels go. That Go Mango would have really stood out, though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The cloth option does not reduce cost of the vehicle on the 392 SPS. So thats not bueno... Perhaps the solution is to just get the car ceramic coated... That would solve my issue I think?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still no savings over Invoice. Take a look at Costco Auto. It will show you that the invoice is the same across all 392 vehicles except for the SRT 392.

I really need to go see a T/A in person. I've seen the SPS in person and seen the SRT Wheels on a SRT392. Who knows, maybe after I see the T/A wheels, i'll be ok. Then the Matte paint, I'll just do a ceramic coating on it to protect it, get Xpel for the front bumper and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
My $.02, Shaker all the way. Love the interior, the horizontal lines up and down the seats. Says shaker. And the actual shaker! Looks so cool. Completes the look. De badge the side. Tough problems to have in life. Haha.

·
Registered
153 Posts

I guess the fact that it gets cold air and send its to the Mopar Intake to lower intake temps doesn't really do anything, additionally if you pair it with head light air duct to get even more air flow doesnt do anything.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

I guess the fact that it gets cold air and send its to the Mopar Intake to lower intake temps doesn't really do anything, additionally if you pair it with head light air duct to get even more air flow doesnt do anything.
Like you said, IT'S COOL. We don't drive these things to look like nerds....... Also very classic look. Just like the rest of the car. Very important part of it's history. If you had a shaker you were COOL! At the time I couldn't IMAGINE owning something like that. So it does do something, IT IS THERE. Look out the window and see that shaking and in the way. So outrageous...... I guess you had to be there.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
The T/A is the new bomb. It is the best looking challenger right now in my opinion.
I wouldn't get a shaker just for the fact that the Cervinis Shaker with its raised hood looks better. That would bug me right there.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
The T/A is the new bomb. It is the best looking challenger right now in my opinion.
I wouldn't get a shaker just for the fact that the Cervinis Shaker with its raised hood looks better. That would bug me right there.
Oh yeah?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts