Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which would wich would have the fastest lap time, all things being equal.

• T/A 392

• SPWB

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Same driver, same day, same track conditions - i.e. all other things being equal.
Should be a fun topic for discussion :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
I don't think you are going to get much discussion. SPWB for the win.

If instead, you were to pit a narrow body Hellcat vs SPWB, then you might have something to debate.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't think you are going to get much discussion. SPWB for the win.

If instead, you were to pit a narrow body Hellcat vs SPWB, then you might have something to debate.
305's are just going to provide more grip in the turns, under breaking, and coming out... but the T/A is setup for roadcourse work as well. I wonder what the T/A 392 with Nitto NT01s could do vs the SPWB P-zeros? No THAT would be interesting.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,571 Posts
WBSP 12 car lengths PER LAP ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WBSP 12 car lengths PER LAP ;)

A Guy
Maybe against a base SP, sure... but the T/A 392 has track setup suspension and lowered, even more than the SP with dynamic handling package. Plus there's the cold-air intake system and exhaust the T/A 392 has, which if I'm not mistaken is from the hellcat and different than the SP.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,571 Posts
I doubt we'll see any comparisons since the T/A 392 was short lived. I did not see anything at the time about it's comparison to the narrow body Hellcat? That would be our only point of reference. As far as I know the Scat Pack then had no Super Track Pack beyond a button that opened the settings.

Not a comparison, but hey!

A Guy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both the SPWB and T/A 392 had optimized track suspension/brakes, beyond the basic SP even with the dynamic handling package from what I understand. So I guess what we have to see, is a SPWB with the same tires (but larger) and same trans with same driver make that lap to have an idea? I think the T/A 392 could be a wize buy as it was so short lived.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,571 Posts
The T/A 392 had Super Track Pak

The T/A stopped from 70 mph in a solid 151 feet and topped the charts among modern Challengers with 0.93 g of grip, which would be pretty impressive if the hottest Ford and Chevy pony cars weren’t playing on the far side of 1.0 g. Dodge’s chassis upgrades come via the included Super Track Pak, which lowers the body by 0.5 inch and fits non-adjustable Bilstein dampers and a three-mode stability-control system that can be fully deactivated. Versions with the 392 engine also receive massive Brembo brakes—15.4-inch front rotors clamped by six-piston calipers and four-piston, 13.8-inch discs in back—surrounded by new 20-inch forged-aluminum wheels shod with either 275/40ZR-20 all-season tires or our example’s $695 Pirelli P Zero performance rubber.

A Guy

Reactions: GlockandRoll

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The T/A 392 had Super Track Pak

A Guy
Is the super track-pack and option code?
As far and handling in the NA 6.4, I thought the options were base SP, SPWB, T/A, and dynamic handling package on the regular scat pack - the SPWB and T/A being a cut above the regular dynamic handling package?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,571 Posts
The T/A has the STP as it's suspension, it was part of the T/A 392 package as far as I can remember. The 392 T/A was positioned between the Scat Pack and the SRT. The major difference being the availability of the Brembos. There was no SPWB when the T/A 392 was available

A Guy

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
The T/A 5.7L had Super Track Pack.

The T/A 392 should just be the standard Scat Pack suspension which is a little stiffer to deal with the extra weight.

Don't believe there is any special T/A 392 suspension but guess you would have to pull the spring codes to be sure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I doubt we'll see any comparisons since the T/A 392 was short lived. I did not see anything at the time about it's comparison to the narrow body Hellcat? That would be our only point of reference. As far as I know the Scat Pack then had no Super Track Pack beyond a button that opened the settings.

Not a comparison, but hey!

A Guy
I wanted to say "cool video" but then I realized this guy brought an automatic to a road course.

That's about as WEAK as it gets from a driver perspective.

As to OP's question.......at the end of the day no matter what you do to a car it can never be any better than it's ability to actually put traction down.

Assume both cars have the same transmission and engine package....

Despite differences in the 2 set-ups concerning suspension in one vs the other...the real serious difference is found in how a TA that rides on a 275 tire at all 4 corners ........ when up against a very similar car riding on the same brand of tires that are 40mm wider on all 4 corners.....put the same driver in both cars and have him run equally skillful runs.......the smart bet says he'll do better in the car with more rubber on the road 99 times out of 100. attempts.

Still a silly question though...... I'm thinking if you're gonna road track or autocross on a regular basis.......how long is any owner going to stick with the TOTALLY stock set up anyway?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Well don't forget, FCA dumped quite a few feature on the 2019 T/A, the main one being the 6 piston Brembo in the front. For 2019 the T/A is more of a cosmetic package (strips, blacked out hood, roof & deck lid). It does have a few more features in the center stack electronics, like the track mode. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I own a 2019 T/A and was really bummed that the 6 piston Brembo's were dropped. I had them on my first Challenger, (Silver Bee) and that car would stop on a dime. Check out my showcase for I had / have. Anyways, the T/A doesn't have to be the fastest in anything, because the look so good! Just kidding, but anyways I like both equally, the Silver Bee and the T/A in B5 Blue. BTW, I did take the T/A (B5Blues) to the M1 Concourse in Pontiac, MI and it did alright. But it was definitely at the bottom of the list for estimated track times. It could be that the driver (me) stinks at that road course.

Take care, Snowdoggie

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The T/A 392 is just a Scat Pack with an appearance package and dynamics package. It's not some special track car. It would be completely dominated by a SPWB.
Go build a 2019 392 T/A on dodge website. The dynamics package is NOT included in the T/A package, but it does lower the price of the dynamics package to $1,100. You get the tires/wheels, but not the brembos.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I wanted to say "cool video" but then I realized this guy brought an automatic to a road course.

That's about as WEAK as it gets from a driver perspective.
That's what the losers always say ;)

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Yes, they dropped the 6-piston brakes from the T/A 392 but still get the 275's and 9.5" wheels standard.

Reactions: AFZ

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Yes, they dropped the 6-piston brakes from the T/A 392 but still get the 275's and 9.5" wheels standard.

Yep, you are correct sir! Still bummed about the brakes. That Dynamics Package I had on my 1st Challenger was a sweet deal for $ 2,200 dollars. Gave you the brakes and larger tires and wheels.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,571 Posts
The 2017 and 2018 T/A 392 was more an appearance/suspension package. Now it's just appearance it seems. I consider the package discontinued, and an appearance package was added for those who liked the look. I was more thinking of the comparison of the 2018/2019 T/A 392 vs the SPWB. The SPWB will have the edge in each category due to the wider wheels/tires, and corresponding grip. I've never seen anything saying the 2017/2018 T/A 392 had any advantage over the "regular" Scat if brakes were equal. The SPWB definitely has the advantage over the Scat

A Guy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts