Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
That EBay ad is by Steve White Motors.
They give us a better price as forum members.
I ordered mine direct from them today by phone as a forum member, and it was like 45 bux cheaper.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2013 R/T with the factory scoop.

To make this work, one needs to buy a Mopar CAI, true?
Does the scoop vent do anything for performance or make it sound better? Or is it more of a philosophical thing in that the scoop is no longer an ornament?

·
Registered
681 Posts
When I go to Ebay it says they wont fit a 2014 model, any idea why that would be? I didn't think the 2014 models were that drastically different from the 2013's and earlier.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
It will fit a 2014 model (the T/A hood has been the same since day1).....BUT.....they say you need to use it with an earlier model CAI and coolant bottle....(air box and coolant bottle where changed in '11)
I plan to find a way to make it work without the other parts, and a little fab work...we'll see how it goes when it gets here next week...

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
So, my kit arrived today. As usual, the fed-ex guys mistook the box for a trampoline somewhere along the line.....but the contents where all in-tact.

Thanks Josh and the folks at A Steve White's. Very friendly and helpful. I would not hesitate to buy from them again :)

And now I think I see the problem with this kit fitting newer models....
The newer CAI is larger, so the outlet of the duct is not even close to a direct match with the air box...not a big deal to me....it will still be ducting in fresh air to the filter.
But I think the real issue will be the coolant tank cap...looks like it's in the way (see pic).....still not a big deal. A little heat and the duct will bend ;)
I'm going to do a little trim paint before installing...will update as it goes...

On a side note....this is nothing against Steve White's, but Mopar....
This kit is entirely too expensive for what you get. 5 bills for 2 pieces of plastic and a few connectors. Whoever Mopar is getting them from (parts guys know 'vendor direct' parts) can't possibly be spending more than 20 or 30 bux in manufacturing....

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it should have come with the car, or a one-time discount with a registered VIN. I don't think the design could have taken the time to justify the cost. The water-routing management is pretty simple and ingenious, though.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I started mocking it up to figure out where I need to mod things.
The coolant tank may not be in the way.....for sure the air box is too tall. I put a little rubbing compound on the seal to mark where it interferes with the duct. (see pic)
I either need to form the duct with some heat, or trim down the air box......hmmmmm...

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think if you heat the duct, you'll be restricting air flow. Most people who do modifications trim the air filter box, at least from what I've seen here.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Does it have any baffles in it to trap rain water?

Also, I agree with Carlitos, trim the air box.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
The issue I'm seeing with trimming the box is that I will lose the lip that rubber mounts on.
I don't think I would have to form the duct so much that it would make any noticeable difference...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Perhaps add foam to the hood ducting to seal to the box.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In the instructions it asks for us 2011-2014 owners to get the older Coolant Reservoir Bottle 04596466AF. Can I ask why you decided not to, it's only 60 bucks..

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
because it also requires a different CAI kit all together (pre-'11).....so not even close to just 60 bux...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah, you probably saved me some real cash. I am confused! I thought the latest 5.7L CAI was 77070044, and it would work with the Coolant Reservoir Bottle (04596466AF) So 7707044 is NOT the 2014 CAI?

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
The instructions clearly state you are supposed to use a 77060003ab CAI, which is made for '08-'10.....THAT CAI kit (which matches the duct kit) also requires the older coolant tank...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.