Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Fiberglass or Metal?

• Fiberglass

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Metal

Votes: 23 69.7%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I want to put a T/A hood on in a few months but I am wondering about the quality of fiberglass vs metal hoods. I am leaning towards the official Mopar hood, but I really like the look of the old G5 hoods which are fiberglass. I know I will save some $ going fiberglass. Opinions are welcome...

·
Premium Member
N/A
1,814 Posts
Hi all, I want to put a T/A hood on in a few months but I am wondering about the quality of fiberglass vs metal hoods. I am leaning towards the official Mopar hood, but I really like the look of the old G5 hoods which are fiberglass. I know I will save some $ going fiberglass. Opinions are welcome...
Are the new Mopar T/A hoods metal? I had assumed that the new T/A hoods were like the old school hoods fiberglass?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Mopar hoods are aluminum, TA hoods like the AFR (which can be used as a shaker or TA) are fiberglass.

I run the AFR because it's more like the old school true TA hood, with direct airflow into a round air cleaner and then directly into the TB

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Having recently decided to change from a shaker hood to a T/A, I was also in the same quandry as you. from my research:

1. MOPAR: Pros, factory fit, aluminum, if that is a sticking point for you. Has an optional underhood MOPAR airbox that mates to the MOPAR CAI (if you're wanting to keep it all MOPAR). Cons: Underhood airbox was on backorder forever, Believe Steve White just got a few in. More expensive, by the time you figure in paint. Airbox may not work with superchargers if that is a consideration. Scoop is attached by adhesive and screws (two piece design) . Windshield squirters attached to middle of hood, as stockers.
2. AFR: fiberglass, has capability to be changed out with shaker or 1320 type scoop. air filter on top of engine (if that's a buying point ,gets rid of stock airbox location). Cons: expensive, may not work with SC if that's a consideration. A little different look than the stock MOPAR. Matter of personal preference. Again, two piece design. Heavier than stock.
3. G5: Fiberglass, and one piece. No airbox, does not mate with stock airbox. Company has changed hands, some find it hard to get ahold of them (me). Questionalble customer service in getting back with you. Pros, cheaper than AFR or the MOPAR version.Some like the look, some do not, again, a matter of personal preference. Heavier than stock.
4. Cervini's: Fiberglass, a tad cheaper than the AFR. Uses proprietary Cervini airbox. Cons: also a two piece design. Has a little different look than the others-personal preference. Heavier than stock.
5. RK sport: again cheaper than the others, two piece design. Airbox is built in and mates with any open top type, like the MOPAR CAI, Rotofab, C&L, etc. Again a different design than the others. Cons: lightweight compared to the other fiberglass ones. Requires hood pins.
6. AIT: Exact same design as a MOPAR hood on top. two piece design. Does work with Magnasun SC. Allows use of functional airbox w/ SC. Same airbox design as RK sport. Cheapest of the bunch (least expensive). Cons: requires hoodpins, very lightweight.
Note, for some, the lightweight hoods are an advantage. Personally, I like a hood with a little more sturdiness.

I went w/ an AIT due to airbox design, stock (MOPAR) scoop design, and capability to allow use of my magnasun and have the airbox be functional. Others most likely have better/different input on the particular hood they purchased.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for this informative and detailed reply. I will consider my options. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
no, from everything we have seen so far, different hoods, different front fenders, but then until we can actually see a 14 beside a 15, who knows
Luke

Don't think the 2015s front fenders are different just the front nose and rear end i believe.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
360 Posts
6. AIT: Exact same design as a MOPAR hood on top. two piece design. Does work with Magnasun SC. Allows use of functional airbox w/ SC. Same airbox design as RK sport. Cheapest of the bunch (least expensive). Cons: requires hoodpins, very lightweight.
Note, for some, the lightweight hoods are an advantage. Personally, I like a hood with a little more sturdiness.
I know this is from Aug 2014, but you stated it works with the magnasun SC, so I'm pretty sure this will work with the whipple s/c, and I've seen your pictures from other forums, so cleareance shouldn't be an issue. Anyone use this hood with a whipple?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I know this is from Aug 2014, but you stated it works with the magnasun SC, so I'm pretty sure this will work with the whipple s/c, and I've seen your pictures from other forums, so cleareance shouldn't be an issue. Anyone use this hood with a whipple?

I was in the same dilemma, when I bought the AIT hood. I bought it on Fleabay and asked the seller if they would take it back if it didn't fit. They said they would, so it wouldn't hurt to ask whatever business you are looking at buying from.
Personally, I would not see why it would not fit, just from eyeballing pics of a whipple. The air box on the AIT version is not very deep.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was in the same dilemma, when I bought the AIT hood. I bought it on Fleabay and asked the seller if they would take it back if it didn't fit. They said they would, so it wouldn't hurt to ask whatever business you are looking at buying from.
Personally, I would not see why it would not fit, just from eyeballing pics of a whipple. The air box on the AIT version is not very deep.
Guess I'l just have to bite the bullet, no matter what, since the S/C setup won't be until sometime next year (Summer 2016) and I'm looking to get this hood before this summer season starts. Worse comes to worse I can either modify the hood (somehow), or switch back to the stock hood and take a loss on the T/A reselling it... Thanks for your input though.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Which stripe package are you going to compliment the hood with?? :p

·
Registered
373 Posts
no, from everything we have seen so far, different hoods, different front fenders, but then until we can actually see a 14 beside a 15, who knows
Luke
there a forum member who has a t/a hood on a scat pack. don't know if his is mopar or not but

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I have the AIT Ebay hood in my building. It is about 44 pounds and I believe the stock hood is only 17 but not sure until I pull it off for test fitment.

·
Vendor
13,310 Posts
every hood will fit every Challengers, 08 thru 15, all the same,

all sheet metal is different, front and rear fascia will not interchange easily between 14 and 15 model year

Luke

·
Registered
570 Posts
I LOVE the G5 T/A hood, with the more pronounced snorkel. The only thing stopping me from buying one is the chance of cracks forming around the scoop eventually (which I've read happens, according to owners).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
every hood will fit every Challengers, 08 thru 15, all the same,

all sheet metal is different, front and rear fascia will not interchange easily between 14 and 15 model year

Luke
Are you absolutely sure about this
I’ve thought buying a 2015 TA style hood oem from dodge and no one there can answer for me
I have a 2013 challenger rt

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
27,278 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) 2015 TA style hood OEM? No T/A hood OEM in 2015? But yes, all hoods Luke mentioned will fit.

A Guy

1 - 20 of 43 Posts