Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2010 R/T and it has always felt incomplete without the T/A Hood and Pins. I have 50k miles on it and feel torn whether or not its worth putting a $3k+ into it.

My Car -> http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f6/washed-waxed-107370/

That being said, can someone give me a ball park idea what I would be paying to:

1- Paint the Hood.
2- Install the Hood.
3- Drill holes for Pins.
4- Install Pins.
5- Install Functional Scoop

I already have a Mopar CIA.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I got a quote of $600 for paint & install

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I would go to an ultra high end paint shop, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. to get the hood painted. Otherwise the paint may be off just enough to have to redo it or a lower end shop, i.e. the dealer, will blend in the fenders to fool your eye. If you do it right you'll be close to 2 grand from start to finish. You need a talented painter to do the final slight color match adjustment to your car to get the paint right. I have a friend who just did a shaker hood painted by a well known high end supplier and the paint is off enough that they want to get it repainted locally. Perfection isn't cheap but perfection is what your Challenger deserves.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I would go to an ultra high end paint shop, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. to get the hood painted. Otherwise the paint may be off just enough to have to redo it or a lower end shop, i.e. the dealer, will blend in the fenders to fool your eye. If you do it right you'll be close to 2 grand from start to finish. You need a talented painter to do the final slight color match adjustment to your car to get the paint right. I have a friend who just did a shaker hood painted by a well known high end supplier and the paint is off enough that they want to get it repainted locally. Perfection isn't cheap but perfection is what your Challenger deserves.
My hood looks excellent and after a year it still looks good. Your paint has a color code which will tell the company what paint to use. Those companies you mentioned is using the exact same paint they are just charging more because of their name.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have a 2010 R/T and it has always felt incomplete without the T/A Hood and Pins. I have 50k miles on it and feel torn whether or not its worth putting a $3k+ into it.

My Car -> http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f6/washed-waxed-107370/

That being said, can someone give me a ball park idea what I would be paying to:

1- Paint the Hood.
2- Install the Hood.
3- Drill holes for Pins.
4- Install Pins.
5- Install Functional Scoop

I already have a Mopar CIA.

Thanks everyone.
You are aware the airbox to make it all work has been on backorder with no end in sight, right?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
My hood looks excellent and after a year it still looks good. Your paint has a color code which will tell the company what paint to use. Those companies you mentioned is using the exact same paint they are just charging more because of their name.
Agreed. Base and clear is not rocket science. My garage painted nose looks better than factory paint. Just as long as you stay away from Maaco, youll be fine lol

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ditto to what Pacman said.

Just find a trusted body man that does good work. You don't have to pay high end to get the same quality.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your input. Has anyone gotten a hood from the dealer? Do you pay shipping charges with the dealer? (i am going to assume yes) :)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I ordered my TA hood through the accessories, actually let a dealership submit the order, there was no shipping expense to my door.

Do not pay someone to install the hood, it is a simple affair. One person can hold the hood it isn't heavy. But you'll need two to position it and bolt it in place. I got the help from my 18 year old daughter to do mine, and if a 105lb 5 foot 2 inch girl can do it you can find someone strong enough to help you hold it in place.

Painting the hood is another story, I painted mine myself, it took less than a quart of paint to paint the top and bottom of the hood, the quart was custom mixed based on the paint code, the shade of the color turned out to be almost a perfect match, If I knew what color the factory primer was it could have been a closer match, Instead of using a black primer, a white primer may have made it slightly brighter, it does make a difference. 90% of those walking by won't be able to tell the difference. I spent about 150 on the paint, and another 100 for clear including the activator and reducers. Took me about 2 hours to paint it 3 coats, took me two days to wetsand and buff it afterwards. Paint has been on the hood since the week i got the car 4 years ago, and still looks new.

If you must pay to have it painted, have the shop that paints it install it afterwards.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Ive never paid any shipping with a dealer, even for something as large as a bumper

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input. Has anyone gotten a hood from the dealer? Do you pay shipping charges with the dealer? (i am going to assume yes) :)
I ordered mine from the vender on this site named Steve for $1195 and had it delivered to the company that painted it for $30 s&h.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I ordered mine from the vender on this site named Steve for $1195 and had it delivered to the company that painted it for $30 s&h. I got everything done for like $1600 and all I had to do was drop off my car and then pick it back up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
@Lord Warlock

Glad you were able to install yourself and paint it. Im sure it was fun. But I can barely hold a screw driver in my hand without breaking something, or use a hammer without going to the ER. I tried to install spark plugs a few months ago and I ended up getting 4 in and taking it to a shop to finish. Yeah, I am THAT guy.

Would love to see pics!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
In 2010, the TA hoods were not open or functional, I had to cut holes in my hood to make it functional, even that wasn't hard, it was a little stressful not knowing if I'd screw it up and ruin the hood, but knew that the scoop would eventually cover the holes and noone would ever notice the cuts anyway.

Installing the underhood ram air kit was harder than drilling and cutting the functional holes, you had to drill approx 22-25 holes in the underside large enough to fit the plastic rivets but not too large or too deep. A simple trick of determining the depth you want on the drill bit, and using masking tape wound around the drill bit to ensure it goes no further in than necessary. You just have to be willing to try. And after you get the kit in, you may have to do minor trimming to get it to fit right, a rotory tool helped me cut about an inch off the top of the air intake surround so the hood would close. The new TA hoods come from the factory with cutouts already cut, they are just covered by a thin film that you have to peel off before you mount the scoop. The scoop is a simple job of placing the gasket in place, then putting the scoop in place, and tightening the included clamps to hold it in place, I've never had to retighten mine in 4 years.

Many of the mods you do to the car are not hard to do yourself. I removed the stock spoiler and installed an srt8 spoiler because i wanted a black spoiler to match the stripes, I also installed a rear view camera inside the spoiler that looks like a trunk lock from the rear, just had to imagine it, cut a few holes and install it. You can't be afraid to drill a body panel.

Back in the 80s I pulled the motor and transmission out of my 69 charger and installed a replacement, I did it because as a teen I couldn't afford to pay someone else to do it for me, I had a socket set and had to borrow a tool or two from my dad but I got it out and the new one in. After that I really don't sweat trying new things out. There are jobs that I'm not comfortable doing anymore and now i can afford to pay someone to do the dirty work if i want to. I spent a few years learning how to paint cars through trial and error, main goal was that i wanted to paint the 69 charger r/t se when i restored it, used a 91 stealth turbo as a test canvas for about 10 paint jobs till i was secure in my skills to use a spray gun. Got good enough where neighbors ask me to paint their old cars, there isn't much money in it though for the labor involved so I don't do it often, especially since i don't charge 10k apiece. Usually about 300 over my cost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts