Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some expertise on what the best way to get a matte/flat black T/A hood. I have poured through some old threads. The thing I want to avoid is scratches and water spots. I have seen one guy that said use gloss black with a clear flattener. Another guy said use black paint- semigloss with a matte additive.

Which is better or does someone have a better idea?

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I would think the black with the flat clear would be the best way to go. If anything happens, you'll have the clear to work with versus the black itself.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
ive seen a Hurst pink challenger with an all flat black hood...it looked awesome...ask Hurst how they do it

i would think it will show scuffs and wax funny....there's probably a reason no one does it anymore

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would think you HAVE to clear it. Satin black and flat black are about impossible to clean or maintain. I would guess a black finish, with a satin clear is the way to go. You could probably even wax it if you did a satin clear (as long as you didn't "buff" the finish). I don't have any first hand knowledge, but have painted a bunch of cars over the years, and this just seems like the best bet to me. Unless someone told me different who had done it, this is how I would do it.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts