Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PART #82212435

The cheapest I've found the T/A Hood Venting System for is $436 + shipping. Far be it from me to judge the difficulty in engineering such a product but really? That much for what appears to be 2 pieces of vacuum formed plastic? Am I totally missing something here?

Anyone have any other ideas for this that might be a bit easier to swallow?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Those that feel a TA hood must be functional are forced to either buy something prefabricated, or make their own. Currently the mopar unit is the only prefabricated unit. I got about 2/3 done with a home built solution but wanted something that looked nice without looking half assed, so i ended up buying the kit for 435. The kit is a fairly shallow box that fits under the hood, and an arm that channels the air to the CAI location. It also comes with replacement grills to the scoop that significantly improves airflow into the scoop area. I had drilled out my original grills, but the replacements do a lot better job.

Depending on when you bought the hood, the early models purchased last year are not drilled for the mounting rivets, nor are the holes cut in the hood itself to let air through. The newer models come ready to mount the box. I had to drill 13 holes in the hood plus cut the holes to make the scoop functional. Lots of people aren't comfortable taking a sabre saw to the hood. At least now, the 1200.00 hood is functional, even if it turned into a 1800.00 hood.

Something to keep in mind, the underhood box is only half of the equation, in order to install it you have to own a CAI also, and thats another 200-300 expense. However, once installed it does seem to benefit and adds a small amount of extra power.

My home built solution was a a metal plate that would mount to the underside of the hood around the trapazoid area in the middle of the hood, I also made a mold and laid out fiberglass to form an arm that would channel air to the cai/intake filter area, the arm was the complicated part. If you are handy with molding fiberglass, it wouldn't be hard to build something that would work, i can show you what my pieces looked like. The sheetmetal piece was from a piece of galvanized steel, which i sanded, polished and buffed till it was semi reflective...not quite a mirror but pretty nice, then cut a 4 inch hole on one side to let air out to the arm piece. It would cost about 40.00 for the sheetmetal, plus 6.00 for fiberglass matte, and 20.00 for fiberglass resin, then a lot of work to make it look nice afterwards. Trust me, the 450.00 box is a lot easier to use, and install.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I thought so too till i looked at all the aftermarket and everything cost about the same. It isn't overpriced until there is competitive products that are cheaper. If you want the first item availabe built to fit, you're gonna have to pay for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts