Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm in the midst of searching for a used Challenger T/A. While examining the window sticker for a 2017 and a 2018 models, I noticed that under "Customer Preferred Package 24X" on the 2017 it's six thousand dollars and has "T/A Package" Listed. On the 2018 the "Customer Preferred Package 24X" Is a thousand less at five thousand and does not have "T/A Package" listed. My question is what is the "T/A package" and why the price difference?

Thanks!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Hello,

I'm in the midst of searching for a used Challenger T/A. While examining the window sticker for a 2017 and a 2018 models, I noticed that under "Customer Preferred Package 24X" on the 2017 it's six thousand dollars and has "T/A Package" Listed. On the 2018 the "Customer Preferred Package 24X" Is a thousand less at five thousand and does not have "T/A Package" listed. My question is what is the "T/A package" and why the price difference?

Thanks!
Do you have a VIN?

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=PUTVINHERE

In Dodge terminology, it’s an expensive sticker package.
Upgraded brakes, wheels, and tires are stickers?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I expect it's just two different MSRP numbers from one year to the next on the option package. There's anecdotal evidence that T/A sales slumped in some regions, so I expect they may dropped the price of the package. The contents of the T/A package are well documented. I looked real hard at them and decided I didn't want to deal with extra care require for the satin-black hood and roof/trunk decals (as much as I love that look).

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yup!....... that about says it all!! Expernsive stickers......another way to say it: $5,000 buys you upgraded brakes, wheels, tires and a lowered suspension and the hood/hell cat style air box.

Given what it would cost to buy the hood, air intake system, wider wheels and tires, 6 piston Brembos for the front and 4 piston Brembos for the back as an upgrade to a "standard issue" RT........ $5,000 not a bad price at all.......it's not the bargain of the century but still cheaper than doing it yourself.....oh and lest I forget......and you do get the "stickers" thrown in for FREE too.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Yup!....... that about says it all!! Expernsive stickers......another way to say it: $5,000 buys you upgraded brakes, wheels, tires and a lowered suspension and the hood/hell cat style air box.

Given what it would cost to buy the hood, air intake system, wider wheels and tires, 6 piston Brembos for the front and 4 piston Brembos for the back as an upgrade to a "standard issue" RT........ $5,000 not a bad price at all.......it's not the bargain of the century but still cheaper than doing it yourself.....oh and lest I forget......and you do get the "stickers" thrown in for FREE too.
in real value your probably talking 2-3k. That hell cat hood cost no more to make then the regular hook its one or two more punches on a die. how much more for those wheels in terms of manufacturing, probably very little. The real upgrade is maybe in the brembos, even then youll never use them on the room.

This is a rip off said and done. unless you view as a savings from a full blown SRT>

·
Registered
14 Posts
in real value your probably talking 2-3k. That hell cat hood cost no more to make then the regular hook its one or two more punches on a die. how much more for those wheels in terms of manufacturing, probably very little. The real upgrade is maybe in the brembos, even then youll never use them on the room.

This is a rip off said and done. unless you view as a savings from a full blown SRT>
2-3k Hook me up with your parts guy and free install shop stat! Im sure the warranty is included too...

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 17 T/A has this listed on the sticker

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
(May Replace Standard Equipment)
Customer Preferred Package 24X
20-Inch x 9.5-Inch Forged/Painted Aluminum Wheels
275/40ZR20 All Season Performance Tires

392 Fender Decal

Brembo® 6-Piston High-Performance Front Brakes
Black Satin Hood
Illuminated Air-Catcher Headlamps
Cold Air Intake System by Mopar®
Pirelli Brand Tires

Rhombi 2-Piece Wheel Center Cap
Satin Black Wrapped Roof / Decklid
T/A Air Grabber Hood with Air Bezel
T/A Bodyside Graphic
T/A Package

T/A Spoiler Decal
White Face Instrument Cluster

Leather Performance Steering Wheel

Satin Black Fuel Filler Door

Gloss Black Grille

Satin Black Rear Spoiler

Gloss Black Instrument Cluster Trim Rings
"Challenger Script" Grille Badge
ParkView® Rear Back Up Camera

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
2-3k Hook me up with your parts guy and free install shop stat! Im sure the warranty is included too...
yes the piece of mind argument, because the factory installed a stick and different hood and its protected for three years I'm good. Give me a break. These types of things are such an upsell its ridiculous.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,881 Posts
I priced almost all the parts to make a T/A package (only 90% of the parts are available for purchase mind you) that said just the remaining components were well over $8,000 not including labor. A buddy of mine wanted to convert his standard R/T into a T/A but I showed him the parts list and he said nope! He traded it in and got a hell of a deal on a new T/A. Is the T/A mostly a sticker gimmick? Yeah prolly but it sure looks good!

·
Premium Member
9,358 Posts
From the manufacturing end the difference is pennies, I was on the Ram site last night pricing different confidigurations and going from a 3.21 rear to a 3.55 was a whopping, whole $95. A vehicle I believe costs triple the price when built in parts costs.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

You're looking at this ALL WRONG. Sure it's extra profit for the manufacturer......but if you bought a car without the TA package and wanted to convert it.......you couldn't get it done for the price of the option.

By your reasoning a Hell Cat is an INCREDIBLE RIP OFF...... the Price of a crate 392 in an SRT car would have to be deducted before adding back the Hell Cat engine........suddenly that $20,000 plus premium price appears to have bough very little for the extra money. What would an SRT 392 cost if you removed all the pieces and got credit for them that the hell cat pieces replace......my guess is the factory build cost of a Hell Cat is very little more than a 392 powered SRT.

In the end all you have identified is what everyone should already understand......this is why the car companies love OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT in general. The profit margins are higher when you add stuff over the base stuff........but you aren't the FACTORY........you can't actually buy a truly stripped out car and then add your pieces later.

To actually realize the low cost of changes you talk about you'd have to be able to order a Challenger with no hood, no brakes, no wheels and no suspension parts and the price of all the deleted pieces would have to be deducted from what they'll ask you to pay for your stripped order.....then Dodge would have to be willing to sell you all the TA parts and appearance pieces at their cost. You'd install them yourself without paying up for the labor and set up. Do this and you might even be correct about the up cost.......but that's not the way any of this works.

If you went all the way down the line to the very least expensive 6 cylinder Challenger and what it cost Dodge to build it and compared to the Cost of building a Demon........I bet the difference would be a real eye opener.....and it's no different as to how very much we all pay UP to get the car we want with the extras included.

But.....who wants a pony car with a 6 cylinder? Not me......but a deep value guy who just likes the look probably thinks I'm pretty damned foolish with my cash and car purchase......I'm betting he'd call you too free with your cash too.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You're looking at this ALL WRONG. Sure it's extra profit for the manufacturer......but if you bought a car without the TA package and wanted to convert it.......you couldn't get it done for the price of the option.

By your reasoning a Hell Cat is an INCREDIBLE RIP OFF...... the Price of a crate 392 in an SRT car would have to be deducted before adding back the Hell Cat engine........suddenly that $20,000 plus premium price appears to have bough very little for the extra money. What would an SRT 392 cost if you removed all the pieces and got credit for them that the hell cat pieces replace......my guess is the factory build cost of a Hell Cat is very little more than a 392 powered SRT.

In the end all you have identified is what everyone should already understand......this is why the car companies love OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT in general. The profit margins are higher when you add stuff over the base stuff........but you aren't the FACTORY........you can't actually buy a truly stripped out car and then add your pieces later.

To actually realize the low cost of changes you talk about you'd have to be able to order a Challenger with no hood, no brakes, no wheels and no suspension parts and the price of all the deleted pieces would have to be deducted from what they'll ask you to pay for your stripped order.....then Dodge would have to be willing to sell you all the TA parts and appearance pieces at their cost. You'd install them yourself without paying up for the labor and set up. Do this and you might even be correct about the up cost.......but that's not the way any of this works.

If you went all the way down the line to the very least expensive 6 cylinder Challenger and what it cost Dodge to build it and compared to the Cost of building a Demon........I bet the difference would be a real eye opener.....and it's no different as to how very much we all pay UP to get the car we want with the extras included.

But.....who wants a pony car with a 6 cylinder? Not me......but a deep value guy who just likes the look probably thinks I'm pretty damned foolish with my cash and car purchase......I'm betting he'd call you too free with your cash too.
I get what your saying and don't disagree, that's why I said real cost. Heck even like you said is there 20k in parts in real cost to produce an SRT to a hellcat? No. Would it cost me the same, probably not, but depends on how I did it.

Like you said options and trim is where they make money, they make less of these HC types cars etc but the return is tremendous on them in comparison to a regular RT. Fact remains something like a hellcat hood doesn't cost anymore than SRT hood.

But when it comes to these decal packages, IMO not saying they aren't cool, just saying the pricing is an overall joke.

Would be interesting to see the manufactures cost of an SXT, RT, SRT, and HC all lined up. People would be shocked I bet. If I had to guess the numbers would be within 20%. But again that's not how it works like you said, just like I buy Heinz ketchup for 2 bucks more than Walmart ketchup and they probably cost the same to make.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's not an "argument", My T/A had purchase price of just about 10K under sticker (not including tax) after the end of the 2017 production run. It ended up being the same as the sticker price of the 17 scatpack shaker I was looking at. So I guess you can say I would have overpaid for the shaker setup on that vs a non shaker scat, could have bought the scatpack for even less than sticker but where does that stop? My car was sitting there, all parts installed and painted, turn key, no part hunting and yes the peace of mind that I can bring it back with any warranty issues that could arise. It's not new news that manufactures try to sell at a profit. You are in the wrong class of cars if optional equipment pricing is a primary concern.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
It's not an "argument", My T/A had purchase price of just about 10K under sticker (not including tax) after the end of the 2017 production run. It ended up being the same as the sticker price of the 17 scatpack shaker I was looking at. So I guess you can say I would have overpaid for the shaker setup on that vs a non shaker scat, could have bought the scatpack for even less than sticker but where does that stop? My car was sitting there, all parts installed and painted, turn key, no part hunting and yes the peace of mind that I can bring it back with any warranty issues that could arise. It's not new news that manufactures try to sell at a profit. You are in the wrong class of cars if optional equipment pricing is a primary concern.
at least the decals are good fitty horse power.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
EXACTLY!!

Let's be BRUTALLY HONEST about the Dodge Challenger.

Even those of us who own one have to admit......this is in NO WAY WHAT-SO-EVER.......a "practical" car or a "value" vs the alternatives for everyday "a" to "b" transportation needs. You want to maximize this? Then you probably start by asking if you should own a car at all.

God knows that without luxury or silly discretionary purchase decisions for the enjoyment of an experience......life in general would be pretty DULL!

Life's to short to be this Practical, IMO.

Do I think my new TA was a GREAT Purchase? YES!!

Do I think it was a GREAT VALUE in Transportation? Of course not! This isn't even a daily driver.....it's an extra completely unnecessary car.

Would I buy again? Sure!

I view ownership of this car as I do all the impractical decisions I make with the $ I spend.

I don't mind paying up if I know I'm getting enough enjoyment out of it to make up for the lack of measurable practical value.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I get what your saying and don't disagree, that's why I said real cost. Heck even like you said is there 20k in parts in real cost to produce an SRT to a hellcat? No. Would it cost me the same, probably not, but depends on how I did it.

Like you said options and trim is where they make money, they make less of these HC types cars etc but the return is tremendous on them in comparison to a regular RT. Fact remains something like a hellcat hood doesn't cost anymore than SRT hood.

But when it comes to these decal packages, IMO not saying they aren't cool, just saying the pricing is an overall joke.

Would be interesting to see the manufactures cost of an SXT, RT, SRT, and HC all lined up. People would be shocked I bet. If I had to guess the numbers would be within 20%. But again that's not how it works like you said, just like I buy Heinz ketchup for 2 bucks more than Walmart ketchup and they probably cost the same to make.
I agree........ car sales.......there is a GOOD reason for the idea of a Sales man. No small part of UP SELLING in general is achived through appealing to our emotional side.

Let your emotions get into the way you deploy cash to any purchase decision and I promise you'll pay more than you could have to achieve the same end.

Admit it or don't.....but most of us have a real emotional attachment to the car we drive. Even a little bit of our Ego is tied to it. If this wasn't the case the Challenger probably wouldn't even exist at all. Instead each of us would own the very practical, deep value car or truck that most closely meets our "a to b" needs and not one extra dollar would be spent on options or design that cost anymore than this basic level vehicle.

Gotta say though.......how dull is that world?

If it ever came to this? I think I'd sooner just ride the bus and train....avoid all the expense of ownership completely..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts