Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I went online to try and get a part number and price for the CAI Filter on my 2017 T/A 392. I'd like to have a spare while I clean the one that's in there originally. I did find a part number, but looking at the diagram, the drawing is just one of a common filter. Another site had an actually photo of what looked like the filter, but when I clicked on it, it said that it was for the 3.6L, even though I was in the T/A 392 section of the manual. WTH?

I realize that the pic is probably just a generic one, and I shouldn't believe what is shown. Does anyone know of an online store that I can trust when ordering. regardless of the photo?

I'm not sure if this filter is used on any other model, so any help would be appreciated.

BTW, I could go to the dealer, but prices are much better online.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,894 Posts
I go to the Parts guy at my local dealership and I ask them to look up the part (with my vin#) and give me the print out so I can think about ordering it on my next oil change. I then take this print out (which has the correct part number on it) back home and look up that part number on any of the online Mopar discount search sites. Way cheaper than buying from the dealer but I know I am getting the right part. -Steve

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I go to the Parts guy at my local dealership and I ask them to look up the part (with my vin#) and give me the print out so I can think about ordering it on my next oil change. I then take this print out (which has the correct part number on it) back home and look up that part number on any of the online Mopar discount search sites. Way cheaper than buying from the dealer but I know I am getting the right part. -Steve
I always feel bad asking for information and then not purchasing from them, but I'll end up spending money there anyway, so thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE:

So, went into the local dealer Parts Department today and got a bunch of crap from the parts guy there.

I presented him the VIN, he typed it in, then asked, "This is a truck?" Kinda felt that I was screwed right there.

After a few minutes he said he had one in stock, went back and brought out a typical, but definitely incorrect filter. I told him and he said, "Why didn't you tell me it wasn't the original filter? You should have told me." I have a very short (Irish) temper but remained in control and said, "I gave you the VIN". At this point both him and his co-worker went into the silent routine. Slamming computer keys, throwing parts on the counter. I could tell they weren't liking me.

He finally reached his own conclusion that, "Than someone else put on that filter after the car was made." I said, "Yes, Dodge did. It's a Mopar filter." I offered to show them on my car but got no response. They weren't gonna budge and he kept telling me, as if I were an idiot, "SOMEONE else put on that filter!"

At this point I wasn't very confident that I'd leave with an answer, or at least a correct one and I was getting too pissed. I said "Thanks" and as I walked out the door said, "You have a green T/A on the lot right outside the door here. You should really go look under the hood."

I don't ever expect anyone behind a counter to know everything. Hell, I did parts for a bus company for over 31 years, and I've heard all the excuses (and made a few myself) but I never shirked on going and looking at what someone was trying to explain.

So, still no part number on that air filter. Gonna be in Medford in the next few days, I'll have to check with the dealer there.

·
Registered
14,421 Posts
The 2017 Mopar Performance Parts catalog says this ..

Replacement Filter for 5.7L & 6.4L Cold Air Intake Kits,

2011-2016 Challenger, P/N 68198995AA . . . $70.55

Can't link it from my phone but if you google 2017 Mopar Performance Parts catalog PDF you should see a link to download it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 2017 Mopar Performance Parts catalog says this ..

Replacement Filter for 5.7L & 6.4L Cold Air Intake Kits,

2011-2016 Challenger, P/N 68198995AA . . . $70.55

Can't link it from my phone but if you google 2017 Mopar Performance Parts catalog PDF you should see a link to download it.
Seriously Slidd! You found it but that "Professional" at my dealers parts desk couldn't? Thanks, I owe ya one!

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey guys this is the one your looking for

PN 68256672AA list $74.95 Sale $50.34

Per Steve White Website... confirmed
Thanks Nick!

·
Registered
2017 Challenger T/A Plus
77 Posts
well... this made me go pull mine and take a look. its a weird looking filter to say the least. attached are pics. triangular in back and oval in front. Notice raised attachment points where clamp goes to hold it in place. hmm...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The T/A filter is different. This is from the instruction sheet for the TA kit. The filters shown above are for the Shaker and Mopar cold air intakes. They are different. Also note the T/A is an oiled filter where the others are dry media.
bs23, just where did you find this "Instruction Sheet"? Definitely looks different, but still no part numbers.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,009 Posts
Reactions: Smokn05

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
My friend bought the kit and I asked for the info. That's from the Mopar kit comparable to the production T/A. He wanted to do the same thing with getting a new filter for car shows. I have a shaker so comparing the two I knew they were different.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
While browsing around today it appears that the Air Filter installed in our T/A's is the same offered in the Scat Pack stage 1 package. I was looking to compare part numbers but I cannot find anything on part # in Scat Pack kit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts