Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep thinking this car would look good with T-Tops. I know they will prob never make em but has anyone ever seen them on the challenger? (like a custom job somebody has made?)

I think of the first t tops like on the camaro back in 78 where it still had a foot of roof inbetween the driver and passenger and the top was only 20 inches wide. Something like that.

·
Registered
813 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
This has been my number 1 mod idea from the time I got the challenger. I think it would look great! Just have to find a shop to do it. I think the inspiration came when I saw year one start with those new Trans-Am Bandit builds...ugh. Another amazing car I would love to own...

DropTop custom I'm sure is more than capable, but with charging well over 10K for the conv. job, I'm no where near impressed by their work, especially in the trunk area and rear cover... in any case, the search continues for a good shop.....

·
Registered
239 Posts
I didn't see the finished product on page 11, definitely turned out better that the convertible jobs that they do... but where are the tops? I wonder if they are still having development issues?? I would go with tinted glass...

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,150 Posts
There are many people here that can't even think of having a sunroof and now you're talking T-tops? The HORROR lol. I think it could look cool done right.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Inside West Coast Customs did T-tops on a Camaro for the band Rascal Flats. Looked okay but don't know how it will hold up over the years.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Although they look cool and are a blast when driving..... they are a PITA for air and water leaks. I had them on a 82 Vette and I will never have them on a car again. You can break into a T top car in a NY sec. Just not worth it.

One other thing... structural integrity.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still think it might look great..

1. If anyone wants to steal your car they will find a way.
2. Structural integrity is a concern - late model camaros (third gen) if you drive one wheel up a driveway and leave the others on the ground you cannot open a door.
3. In regards to two - I still think a partial t top is best - leave the structure still in the car and have a t-top like the 1978 camaro where part of the roof is still in the car. (Pic below)

4 I don't know if anyone would put resources into it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just can't picture a GM option like T-tops on a Mopar!
The late `70's Magnums had them and they looked horrible back then.
The convertible conversion is waaaay better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just using the picture as an example

Mustangs had t tops too... so I was being generic

·
Registered
989 Posts
If i could trade off my v8 for a v6 and in exchange get a challenger with t tops, I would

loved them on my 98 trans am and 99 camaro
3 things I have had and won't ever have again...

T-Tops - It's if they will leak, it's when. (Corvette)

Sun Roof - It's not when it will malfuction, it's when. (Mazda/Honda)

White Interior - It's not when it will discolor/take A stain , It's when. (Chevy Monza)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
3 things I have had and won't ever have again...

T-Tops - It's if they will leak, it's when. (Corvette)

Sun Roof - It's not when it will malfuction, it's when. (Mazda/Honda)

White Interior - It's not when it will discolor/take A stain , It's when. (Chevy Monza)
Might want to work on those sentences a bit :D

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
how about a targa top like on my old vette

Attachments

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
how about a targa top like on my old vette
I was thinking the same thing on targa top roof - 2 roof seals, one in front and one in back so it's easy to replace in 5 years (rubber shrinks and leaks by that time).

Then have 3 crusin' options: completely open/off for summer, transparent/tinted for spring/fall, painted solid metal for winter - some really cool options to have depending on the season.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
In 1976, TransAm started to have the small T-Tops which has been replaced in 1978 by the Fisher T-Tops which are larger, I own 2 TransAms having these large T-Tops.

As 70stroker said, T-Tops is usually a GM option thus it is unusual that Mopar do the same. However if you find it nice idea, you can try it but of course your car should be a non-sunroof car :)

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
1978-79 Dodge magnums had T-tops

And they came with 6.6 V8s

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
1978-79 Dodge magnums had T-tops

And they came with 6.6 V8s
They look so similar to the Fisher T-Tops, it is the first time I see this car :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here is some t-top info for you. I use to install t-tops on a lot of vehicles back in the 70's. Hurst was the first to come out with the t-tops. They consisted of two seperate tops and seals with the roof section left in the middle. This was to keep the structural strength. One of the hurst designers left the company and opened American T-tops. They improved the design some and enlarged the glass and size of the top but still retained the center section of roof. The problem with both of these roofs were the seals. You were suppose to keep them lubbed with petroleum jelly to keep them soft and from drying out. This was never done by owners and the roofs would start leaking do to the seal getting worn and dry. American had taken over the market from Hurst but a few years later a new company out of Chicago called Cars & Concepts came out with the best overall design for t-tops. Their design used a aluminum H shape frame in place of the roof center section. You totally cut out the roof like a targa then installed the H frame. The frame had rain channels outside and below the seal and glass which eliminated leaking problems. Their design in my opinion also looked better because the glass roof panels went all the way across the roof. The glass panels overlapped the seals and the rain channels so you didn't see anything but the glass. This gave the roof a glass targa type look but with a small seam between the panels and around the edges. I Installed tons of these for the dealers before GM teamed up with this company and begain putting this type of roof on a lot of different models of their cars right out of the factory. They were a much easier and quicker install than the American or Hurst. I could install one of these in just a few hours. If someone was to come out with a kit for the challenger this would be the way to go.
Best looking with smoked glass panels across the roof. The H frame keeps the strength in the roof. They don't leak. They had a good locking feature against theft and breaking into the car. I would consider this kit for my own car. I think alot of challenger owners would love to have this type of roof if was available.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.