Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a 2017 SRT. However, I really love the retro look of the full-length taillights that were on the models from a couple of years back. Is it possible to modify a 2017 model to have the tail lights of an '08-'14 model?

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
That would entail changing the rear fascia to the earlier style - trim is different around the lights.

another point is the '15+ are LED and the '14 and earlier are incandescent. Whether the canbus will support that without indicating error messages (lamp out) is another factor.

The lamp assemblies themselves will interchange - but they aren't cheap - especially the center section. Plus you need to socket harnesses to go along with those earlier lamp fixtures.

Reactions: Klyyye

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it sounds like it would be possible, just expensive and not easy. Got it. It also seems like it may be out of my mechanical know-how. A certified shop would probably be able to do it though, right?

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
I know the new tail lights can be installed on the 14 and earlier cars without changing the bumper and trim surround, there is a slight gap around the trim/light but it's not terrible. I wonder if the reverse is true. I'd be more than willing to swap my perfect 11 tail lights with someone who has 15+ tail lights.

Reactions: Klyyye

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the new tail lights can be installed on the 14 and earlier cars without changing the bumper and trim
surround, there is a slight gap around the trim/light but it's not terrible. I wonder if the reverse is true. I'd
be more than willing to swap my perfect 11 tail lights with someone who has 15+ tail lights.
Here's hoping the reverse works as well. I don't currently own one or else I would jump on this trade deal in a heartbeat.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,768 Posts
Based on the 2015+ leaving a larger gap on the 2014 and earlier, I suspect they won't fit the other way around. A Guy

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
I'm looking into getting a 2017 SRT. However, I really love the retro look of the full-length taillights that were on the models from a couple of years back. Is it possible to modify a 2017 model to have the tail lights of an '08-'14 model?

Thanks in advance for your input.
The tail lights on the new Challengers are also retro-inspired. They just resemble the ones on the 1971 Challenger instead of the 1970 Challenger. Here is a photo of the tail lights on the 1971 model.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
Based on the 2015+ leaving a larger gap on the 2014 and earlier, I suspect they won't fit the other way around. A Guy
Probably would require careful trimming of the tail surround trim to go the other way.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
I think it would be an interesting look, pictures would be awesome if you end up doing it. I think it would look good if you had the taillights tinted as well, tones down the red and gives it a more modern look but still has that retro style.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I am sad that no one has made aftermarket lightbars.

Maybe in a few years.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
I am sad that no one has made aftermarket lightbars.

Maybe in a few years.
Same here.. No one has made any really good ones yet you can get like 20 different tail lights for most other
vehicles. There is one company making LED lights for the 14 and earlier cars but they look terrible.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
Digi-tails makes a pretty high quality 08-14 LED taillight

https://digi-tails.com/2008-14-dodge-challenger-led-tail-light-kit

Those are certainly better than the cheapies I've seen on ebay but I still don't care for the look.

I either want 15+ tails or I want to modify my existing tails to have a solid diffuse red bar around the inside
edge like the original concept car. The concept used neon tubes the problem is long term those aren't going
to hold up. There's been some recent developments in edge lit laser pumped fiber optic that "could" possibly
be used just not sure if it's bright enough.

Reactions: A knight

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
Those are certainly better than the cheapies I've seen on ebay but I still don't care for the look.

I either want 15+ tails or I want to modify my existing tails to have a solid diffuse red bar around the inside
edge like the original concept car. The concept used neon tubes the problem is long term those aren't going
to hold up. There's been some recent developments in edge lit laser pumped fiber optic that "could" possibly
be used just not sure if it's bright enough.
A solid bar would be sweet, you could just get a set of LED taillights and add a layer of light diffusing material over it. That would make it appear as one solid bar, similar to what many aftermarket halo companies do.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
A solid bar would be sweet, you could just get a set of LED taillights and add a layer of light diffusing material over it. That would make it appear as one solid bar, similar to what many aftermarket halo companies do.

Yeah LED's could be laid out around the perimeter it would require making a backing material to keep them held
down you could use high brightness red led tape lights they can be folded and bent a bit to make the corner
transitions and a diffuse material could be made from a clear plexi overlay that's been frosted. I think it would be
a lot easier to use light pipe or edge lit fiber if the brightness could be achieved.

Reactions: A knight

·
Registered
97 Posts
What do the 2015+ Challengers use on their tail lights to achieve that "solid glow"?

Light diffusing material?

Right now I am trying to find a tail light for my 2014 Challenger that uses the entire light bar instead of just the sides while the center is unused except for the reverse light.

I prefer the full length bar tail light on the 2008-2014 Challenger but its dated compared to the Darts and the Chargers and of course the newer Challengers.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Has anyone tried coating them in satinizer plasti-dip?

Or some sort of frosty transparent vinyl?

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
What do the 2015+ Challengers use on their tail lights to achieve that "solid glow"?

Light diffusing material?

Right now I am trying to find a tail light for my 2014 Challenger that uses the entire light bar instead of just the sides while the center is unused except for the reverse light.

I prefer the full length bar tail light on the 2008-2014 Challenger but its dated compared to the Darts and the Chargers and of course the newer Challengers.
The 15+ tail lamps - "loop" part that is the rear running light has a diffuser element. The inner portion that is the turn signal and backup light - they have a fluted lens over the LED elements.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Its crazy how much more "modern" the 2014+ Darts and Chargers and the 2015+ Challengers are over the -2014 Challengers.

Sometimes it bothers me because I really love my 14 Challenger but some of its tech is just dated.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
Head and Tail lights have become the "showcase" of vehicles. The head and tail lights on my new car are
jeweled works of art (that I'd have to have to replace) see images below.

I've been kicking around doing something totally custom with my tails for the longest time. I have the know
how, I just need to get off my lazy butt! :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts