Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway yesterday just south of Knoxville.

My recommendation to everyone here... DO IT!

I can't imagine a better 11 mile stretch of road to drive on the planet.

The first few miles are pretty tame but once you get into the middle of the twisty part, you are throwing your car all over the place. Mopar Stage 1s and Bilsteins made it seem easy. I'm sure the guys with coil overs and sway bars will be grinning like idiots... I know I was.

Cherohala Skyway was a bit of a letdown because a storm had piled up on that side of the valley and made most of the drive too wet to push the envelope. You end up at about 5300 feet and if it had been clear, the view would have been spectacular. That area of TN and NC is absolutely beautiful.

If anyone is interested, I'm going to plan something for the spring and organize an actual event. It would be cool to have 50 or more cars on the road at one time.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
I live near Nashville and did that same drive last fall - it was awesome.

I'm ready to go again. I'm down for a group ride through the area !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've been there several times, and have also attend group car gatherings (non-challenger). Love driving those roads. I'm game for a Challenger group event at the TOD. Would be a blast.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've only done the Dragon and Cherohala on a motorcycle but hope to do them in the Challenger very soon. G30JACK is right about these roads, they are well worth the time to get there. Moreover the whole area is filled with great driving roads. There are several motorcycle ralleys during the year. Why not a Challenger ralley?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cool part is the Dragon website will post up our event for us. More publicity. I'm thinking first weekend in April.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
We done that last fall, if you want to see outstanding colors do it in Oct. or early Nov. Temps are pleasant and usually dry that time of the year. But count me in for whatever!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ohhh... Fall... That's an idea. Anyone know the sweet spot for the leaves changing?

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
I'd love to go there someday, but I would use the Road King (motorcycle) for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Mid October would be ideal with a rain date of the say the following weekend. But that time of year as you know is pretty dry here in the southeast. You just can't beat fall in TN./NC.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I would be up for road trip. I flew to Brampton Ontario for a car show at the Chrysler Plant last month; why not a drive to TN/NC.

I am from SE Texas, but it is never to far to gang and drive with other owners. Count me in.

Chuck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. Mid-October it is. I'll start getting hotels and such lined up.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Damn, I was just there last Thursday. Did both those roads. The dragon was great but u rarely get open road to push a little. The Parkway had almost no traffic and I was able to push it there. That was a lot of fun.

The unfortunate part of it though was after about 10 min on the dragon we came across a guy that had just wrecked his gold wing seconds before we come around the corner. He was in pretty bad shape. We waited for the authorities then went to wait for the helicopter to come in. We learned the next day that he died before he made it to the hospital. That road is no joke.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
October 18th is an away game for UT. Less traffic and hassles.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Sounds good G30Jack. I will not need Motel as we live close enough. Thanks for putting this together. For anyone sitting on the fence about doing this, do it! It's definitely on "bucket list" for anyone who likes to drive. But heed what BigDodge said above. Amen on " road is not a joke".

·
Registered
84 Posts
The road is also monitored closely by the police so forget blasting down 11 miles of curves. If that is your plan you will probably hurt yourself, hurt someone else or get a ticket.

·
Registered
116 Posts
just did it last month and I had to go back again last week. It`s like a roiller coaster in your car,specially gravity cavity(MM 2.9)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Damn, I was just there last Thursday. Did both those roads. The dragon was great but u rarely get open road to push a little. The Parkway had almost no traffic and I was able to push it there. That was a lot of fun.

The unfortunate part of it though was after about 10 min on the dragon we came across a guy that had just wrecked his gold wing seconds before we come around the corner. He was in pretty bad shape. We waited for the authorities then went to wait for the helicopter to come in. We learned the next day that he died before he made it to the hospital. That road is no joke.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
they should definitely have more signs for the motorcycles to take it easy(gravity cavity throws them also)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is a roller coaster, for sure. And I love me some coasters.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts